View Single Post
Old June 16th, 2011 #7
Steve B
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Linder View Post
[can think of a corresponding passage from a book about Bill Clinton, but don't have it at hand; but what the journalist said was that Clinton was so good, he could sit down at a picnic table with two, say, Arkansas (farmers) on different sides of an issue, and speak so glibly and indeterminately that when he walked away, both of them were privately persuaded he was on their side. As a side note, this is the ability democracy rewards as much as any other - taking a principled position only alienates potential voters, so the odds lie in making as many as possible think you're for them. Democracy, thus, rewards lying, deception, and unprincipled glibness.]
Reminds me of a book I read as a yoot, How to win friends and influence people by Dale Carnegie. The basic premise of the book was to show that it is possible to change other peoples behavior by changing ones reaction to them. Supposedly you do this by being a good listener, making them feel important and encouraging people to talk about themselves and their interests. Then you appeal to "nobler motives" by making them feel happy about doing what you suggest. Clinton was a master at it. Personally I viewed these techniques as nothing more than kissing ass on stupid people whose thoughts and opinions meant nothing to me. Guess I'd make a crappy politician.