View Single Post
Old August 20th, 2015 #20
Fred Streed
Holy Order of Cosmonauts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vance Stubbs View Post

To believe the ancient Israelites were biologically White is less absurd; some Egyptian pharaohs were basically White, and Israel having "princes as white as milk" does appear in their scripture. On the other hand, there's also little evidence of it actually being the case.
There was at least some Aryan blood throughout the Middle East at the time. The modern Kurds are one group with some that still look somewhat White. The original Hittites seem likely to have been White. They were the guys who tangled with Ramses the Great at Khadesh, which seems to have ended in a draw, settled with a treaty of which there are several examples carved into various New Kingdom temples and monuments in Egypt.

The Hittites had migrated to the Anatolian peninsula, probably via the Caucasus, displacing other populations and absorbing some of the local culture and ways of doing things. One thing they copied from the older populations was cuneiform writing. Initially the bone diggers had a hard time trying to translate Hittite writing. They knew what the various symbols meant but the underlying language eluded them. Someone finally figured out that it was an Indo-European language and they cracked it. They found monuments with the treaty with Egypt engraved on them which made it possible to date the Hittite history.

The Hittites vanished from history a generation or two later as part of the Bronze Age collapse. No one knows for sure what brought on the collapse but some mysterious "sea people" figure into several accounts from various cultures in the area.

I think the xtian bible mentions "Hittites" but they were talking about a different people, either populations that had been under the Hittite Empire and called themselves "Hittites" or maybe remnant city states still ruled by a Hittite elite.