View Single Post
Old June 23rd, 2015 #10
Zorost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alyss View Post
Ive learnt that the US maybe were not pushing for a war with Germany, if only Hitler never declared war on US.
A majority of Americans did not want war, unfortunately one of those that did was the President. Even if Hitler hadn't declared war I think Rosenfeldt would have found a way to get us involved, just like Wilson did in WW1. We didn't even have to declare war to help defeat Germany, as Lend Lease probably did more to win the war than our troops did. Stalin said something about how the greatest help from the US was spam.

I just got done researching the Eastern Front, and some of the stuff I read changed my mind about the inevitability of defeat against Russia. I think if Hitler had abandoned the Atlantic blockade to concentrate solely on blockading supplies to Russia, then retreated before Stalingrad happened, that he could have won a Roman peace.

The Russians were on the brink of starvation, with almost all of their most productive farmland occupied. The only thing that kept them alive was lend lease. If Hitler had concentrated all U-boats off the coast of Norway along with more shore-based planes, sent a few commando raids to destroy the Iranian railroad, and kept Russia from planting and harvesting crops in most areas, all he would have had to do was wait a year, then move in to bury the corpses.

This is sort of what William the Conqueror did when the north of England revolted. He couldn't spare many troops or the south would revolt as well, so he sent in just enough to burn crops and burn villages. Even 20 years later much of the north was a depopulated wasteland. ("harrowing of the north") His troops didn't do most of the killing, starvation and exposure from a lack of housing did.