View Single Post
Old April 4th, 2008 #7
Mike Tollverein
Almightyvoice

Default The Public Hanging Of David Ahenakew

I believe racism is over-rated, if not under-rated, from the Aboriginal perspective. Since 1969’s white paper policy, Aboriginal politicians have lobbied to give our children a fighting chance to survive in an unjust society, since then they have lobbied against a predominantly white ruling class society. Last I checked, (depending which stats you quote) Aboriginal people represent 4.3 percent of the overall Canadian population. The politics of race is undeniably a conscious reality for Aboriginal politicians. Government policy on Aboriginal peoples is dictated by the status quo, the dominant society of Canadian population, to which is continuously reverberated by the mass media in terms of promoting and maintaining the status quo (the tyranny of the majority in a democratic society). Some would go as far as to argue the mass media designs and manifests public opinion for the purpose of Government policy agenda. Historical Government policy is reflected in the current continual political and socio/economic marginalization of Aboriginal peoples. Hence, the reason why the Indian Affairs minister and the Sask. Provincial Premier’s opportunity to jump into the thick of the FSIN controversy.

With that in mind, David Ahenakew is/was an Aboriginal veteran in the politics of race, now I do not agree nor condone the comments he made about the Jewish community. I believe somewhere along the way in his hardened political lobbying against the nation state, in his resolve of politics of race, someone fed him the garbage of a distorted hateful view on historical facts of WW2 holocaust, and ran with it. Our Constitutional right of freedom of expression means to express the right to say dumb stupid things every now and then, but if we do not receive negative feedback on hurtful comments, no human growth will take place. I believe he has learned his lesson (to say the least) because before he made his controversial comments, he believed he was untouchable and thought that he earned the right to say whatever popped into his head. After all, up to that point of his political career he earned a good track record as a former Chief of the Assembly of First nations, FSIN,(Organizations that he helped build from the ground up), an ambassador to the United Nations, and as such received the prestigious award of The Order of Canada, further he had what only few Aboriginal politician had access to; the privilege to mingle within the corridors of power with high profile political power brokers due to his status at the time.

As a consequence, many people within the establishment of the FSIN dared not speak against or disagreed with him on any issues. Indeed, he was on a “high horse” and one thing I learned from my elders is that; it is morally wrong to place our elders or any other dignitaries on a pedestal, because they are only human, and as such they are capable of making mistakes like any other fellow humans among us. Once a person or society puts people on a pedestal it is very hard to bring them down, and when they do come down; THEY COME DOWN HARD with collateral consequences.

I agree with Chief Lawrence Joseph (FSIN), forgiveness has always been part of our traditional value system, when warranted and given in the right way (shaming the conduct, not the person). If a person humbly asks for forgiveness from his people, and has learned his/her mistake, then hope and redemption is possible for any person, there has to be. Traditionally, Aboriginal people never gave up on their people, it is a value system that we are desperately trying to revive in our communities, a customary practice that many of the senators of FSIN hold. I believe as a result of the personal nightmare that David Ahenakew has been experiencing, he MAY morph into a better person, if forgiveness is the prevailing sentiment by the people and the establishment of the FSIN. If not, then he may become a bitter racist old man with unresolved hurtful wounds that will fester and surely blame the Jews for his downfall well into his grave. But guaranteed, if forgiveness is the prevailing attitude and dignity is restored then David Ahenakew will heal and gain wisdom from this experience that he continues to endure, it is an opportunity that the FSIN senate is trying to tap into; wisdom that the FSIN and its representatives can benefit. However, in the long run he will never regain the same status that he once enjoyed before his self imposed demise; those days are gone for him.

I believe the power of our customary practice of forgiveness is something that the culture of the dominant society does not understand in terms of its power to move the hardened to become human once more in our society, exactly what the FSIN senate is trying to do, thus the current public outrage. Unfortunately as a result of the growing outrage, allowing forgiveness a chance to prevail is not going to happen. (Unless our people stand together, including our non-Aboriginal allies)

The dominant society that is strategically expressed by the mass media will not rest until they have exhausted the public hanging of David Ahenakew and any other INDIAN organization associated with him. My concern is that this issue is giving rise for ammunition by the status quo a license to have an open season on Aboriginal peoples of Saskatchewan. This issue of course is causing further divisions, to an already fractured society, among Aboriginal peoples, to take sides and to continue fighting amongst ourselves, to which is a tragedy in itself. Colonialism is still alive and well (Divide and Conquer)...so there you go, I just made some controversial comments. Happy hunting.