View Single Post
Old July 3rd, 2009 #7
Joe_J.
Radio active

SIMI VALLEY - Authorities today identified the woman who died yesterday in a shooting rampage in Simi Valley as Mariela Paredes.

She was killed when the gunman, who was her husband, went on a shooting rampage inside a dentist office. The shooting also left four others wounded. The gunman surrendered an hour later, authorities said. He was identified as Jaime Paredes.

Police confirmed early reports that described the gunman as a "disgruntled husband of a female employee" inside Family Dental Care.

After the shooting spree, the suspect barricaded himself inside the single-story facility at 495 E. Los Angeles Ave. until police crisis negotiators on the telephone convinced him to give up.

"He had walked in and started shooting," said Sgt. Adam Darough of the Simi Valley Police Department. "It's an extremely unusual event for this city."
Three of the shooting victims, both men and women, remain in critical condition. One has minor injuries.

Herlinda Sandoval, 32, a dental assistant for nine years at Family Dental Care, stood in horror as she looked at the crime scene. The Simi Valley woman had the day off from work Wednesday, but rushed to the area when she heard the news.

"I'm so scared," Sandoval said, as she frantically phoned colleagues to learn who was hurt. "I'm very lucky to not have been there today. The office was like a family."

Sandoval said a woman at the dental office's front desk was killed by her husband, who stormed into the building looking for another man. Police would not confirm Sandoval's story.

The burst of gunfire at 10:38 a.m. sent about 15 people inside the dental facility fleeing for safety and scrambling out of small windows from a chiropractic business adjoined to the building.

One man with a bullet wound crawled out of a window and bolted across Los Angeles Avenue to a nearby auto repair shop and asked for help, Darough said.

Monica Gutierrez, 23, was driving down Sinaloa Road at Los Angeles Avenue when she saw a woman run from the dental facility and hide behind a parked car.

The woman shouted to Gutierrez and asked her to call 911.

"She looked so frightened," said Gutierrez, who called 911 from a pay phone. "My heart was racing."

Rick Hunt, a mechanic inside Motor Sports Unlimited III, heard gunshots and then ran outside the shop at 521 E. Los Angeles Ave.

"Police were out there with their guns drawn," said Hunt, "Then it was more police and SWAT. They all came rolling in."

Kim Bickly, 20, rushed outside a nearby hair salon where she works as a receptionist when she heard police sirens through the area.

"I was in shock that this was happening," Bickly said. "I saw people coming out of the window. It was crazy." http://www.dailynews.com/breakingnews/ci_12732845