Vanguard News Network
Pieville
VNN Media
VNN Digital Library
VNN Broadcasts

Old October 7th, 2016 #21
Alex Him

Smile

"If a video has captions, you can turn them on by clicking the captions icon at the bottom of the video. Depending on your location, the captions icon will look like one of the following: or "

Beware of the Car (1966)

Берегись автомобиля - (1966).

Watching the movie is only possible on the channel of Mosfilm.

Old October 15th, 2016 #22
Alex Him

Smile

"If a video has captions, you can turn them on by clicking the captions icon at the bottom of the video. Depending on your location, the captions icon will look like one of the following: or "

Three men in a boat, to say nothing of the dog (1979)

Трое в лодке, не считая собаки - (1979).

Based on the novel by Jerome Klapka Jerome.

"Jerome Klapka Jerome (1859–1927) was an English writer and humourist, best known for the comic travelogue Three Men in a Boat (1887).
Other works include the essay collections Idle Thoughts of an Idle Fellow (1886) and Second Thoughts of an Idle Fellow; Three Men on the Bummel, a sequel to Three Men in a Boat (Packing for the journey); and several other novels."

Text by Wikipedia.

Old November 4th, 2016 #23
Alex Him

Smile

Ten little negroes (1987)

Десять негритят - (1987).

Based on the novel by Agatha Christie.

"Desyat Negrityat (Ten Little Niggers, Russian: Десять негритят) is a 1987 Soviet film adaptation of Agatha Christie's novel And Then There Were None. It was directed by Stanislav Govorukhin, who also penned the script.

This version is unique in that virtually none of the novel is altered. Unlike the previous Hollywood/British adaptations of the story, none of the characters or their respective crimes are altered in any way and the film concludes with the grim finale from Agatha Christie's original novel, rather than the upbeat ending from the stage version that most other adaptations chose to follow."

"Dame Agatha Mary Clarissa Christie, Lady Mallowan, DBE (1890-1976) - (née Miller) was an English crime novelist, short story writer and playwright. She is best known for her 66 detective novels and 14 short story collections, notably those revolving around the investigative work of her fictional detectives Hercule Poirot and Jane Marple. She also wrote the world's longest-running play, a murder mystery, The Mousetrap, and six romances under the name Mary Westmacott. In 1971 she was made a Dame for her contribution to literature."

Texts by Wikipedia.

1:25:48 -
Wrong: "One more of us poisoned - too late!"
Right: "Another one of us acquitted. Alas too late!"

Old January 1st, 2017 #24
Alex Him

Smile

The old man Khottabych (1956)

Старик Хоттабыч - (1956).

The movie for children.

Text - http://www.lib.ru/LAGIN/hottabych_engl.txt

26:45-31:20 - It's a sanatorium. This fragment was made in Sochi.
30:10 - "Do you know Baku?" - Baku is the capital and largest city of Azerbaijan.
30:12 - "Do you know Bibi Eibat?" -

"Bibiheybət (also, Bibi-Eybat and Bibiheibet) is a municipality in Baku, Azerbaijan. It has a population of 1,451.

In 2007, in connection with the expansion of Bibiheybat Motorway and the reconstruction of similarly named mosque, dozens of families were relocated to new and modern homes. In addition, a stadium, a kindergarten and other constructions were rebuilt. Around the newly reconstructed stadium, a recreation park was laid out to provide local community with mass cultural recreation.

The first modern offshore oil well in the world was drilled in Bibiheybat, in the year of 1846."

Text by Wikipedia.

Old January 1st, 2017 #25
Alex Him

Smile

Balzaminov's Marriage (1964)

Женитьба Бальзаминова - (1964).

Balzaminov is a character of the three plays by Alexander Ostrovsky (Александр Островский).

"Праздничный сон - до обеда" (1857);
"Свои собаки грызутся, чужая не приставай!" (1861);
"За чем пойдёшь, то и найдёшь (Женитьба Бальзаминова)" (1861).

I did not find the English translations of these plays.

"Aleksandr Ostrovsky - March 31, 1823 – June 2, 1886

Aleksandr Ostrovsky was a Russian playwright who made significant contributions to the development of Russian theater. His plays are still performed, as their plots are still relevant.

Ostrovsky’s father Nikolay was an ennobled attorney and his mother, Lyubov, was the daughter of a sexton. When Ostrovsky was eight years old, Lyubov died, and a nanny was entrusted with the children’s upbringing. Ostrovsky and his three siblings were schooled at home and spent a lot of time in the family library, getting acquainted with Russian and foreign literature.

In 1835, Ostrovsky entered a local gymnasium and graduated in 1840. His father married again, but his new wife, a socialite, paid little attention to the children.

By the time of his graduation, Ostrovsky had decided on his career: he wanted to be a writer. Nikolay, however, had others plan for his son. Ostrovsky was sent to the law department at Moscow State University, but dropped out in 1843 after a conflict with one of the professors.

His father did not give up. According to his father’s wishes, Ostrovsky got a job as a magistrate's clerk. At this position Ostrovsky had an excellent chance to observe all kinds of people dealing with all kinds of problems. Nikolay tried to help Aleksandr become a lawyer, but unknowingly helped him to become a playwright.

Ostrovsky himself considered January 9, 1847 the day he “truly acquired faith in his vocation”; on this day the drafts of his comedy “It’s a family affair – we’ll settle it ourselves” were published in the newspaper Moscow City Leaflet. The play tells a story about a merchant who fakes bankruptcy to avoid paying debts.

In 1850 the play was published. It gained significant popularity and was given good reviews by famous writers Nikolay Gogol and Ivan Goncharov. The characters and situations depicted in it were realistic enough to make the Moscow merchants feel deeply offended. As a result, “It’s a family affair…” was banned from the stage. The author had to say goodbye to his career in the magistrate and was placed under police surveillance, only lifted in 1855 when Alexander II came to power. The ban on the play was lifted only in 1860.
Ostrovsky started to work at The Moscow Citizen magazine and entered various artistic circles. Every theatrical season, his new plays were shown on the stages of Moscow and St. Petersburg theaters. In 1856, Ostrovsky began to work for a literary and political magazine The Contemporary, which propagated the ideas of a democratic revolution.

The same year, Great Prince Konstantin offered Russian writers an assignment: to visit different Russian regions and to describe the industry and everyday life there. Ostrovsky chose the Volga region and took a cruise down the Volga River. Inspired by what he saw, in 1860 he wrote his most well known drama called The Storm.

The Storm is a tragic story about an unhappily married woman named Ekaterina. Her mother-in-law is cruel and dominating; her husband, Tihon, is weak-willed and loves his mother much more than his wife. Worse still, her best friend does not understand her. One day, she meets a man named Boris and falls in love with him. It is possible for them to be happy, but being unfaithful is a sin for Ekaterina. Tormented by her conscience, she confesses her love to her family and kills herself.

A storm is mentioned by the characters several times, but does not actually take place: everybody is only waiting for it.

As the political writer and literary critic Nikolay Dobrolyubov saw it, this was a play about the changes Russian society was undergoing in the 1860’s. By the time the drama was published, Alexander II had not carried out his liberal reforms yet, but was making his preparations. Among other things, he was going to abolish serfdom and introduce equality in the eyes of the law.
In his article, Dobrolyubov described Ekaterina as “a ray of light in a kingdom of darkness”. Ekaterina’s family and the other town dwellers symbolized the ignorance and the conservatism of the “old world”.

In 1866 Ostrovsky headed the repertory department of the Moscow Imperial Theaters. He had developed the reforms he wanted to introduce to the Russian theater, and so he started to carry them out. For contemporary people, even for those of us who don’t feel strongly about the theater, these reforms seem normal, while for the 19th century Russians they were great innovations.

For example, Ostrovsky insisted that every actor in the play is important, not only the one playing the lead. It was Ostrovsky who introduced the concept of the “fourth wall” to Russian theater, and he was the first to pay great attention to the characters’ diction.

The same year, he organized a theater studio. Many famous Russian actors started their careers there.

In 1886, Ostrovsky died, and was buried in Kostroma region, in the village where his father and stepmother had spent their old age.

Aleksandr Ostrovsky was married twice and had four sons and two daughters from his second marriage.

His literary heritage consists of 47 original plays, 22 plays he translated from Italian, French, Spanish, and Latin, and 7 plays he co-authored with various writers."

Written by Olga Pigareva - http://russiapedia.rt.com/prominent-...ndr-ostrovsky/

16:25-16:35 - In conversation people are confused Napleon I (1769-1821) and his nephew Napoleon III (1808-1873).
28:59-29:15 - Women give food to prisoners in jail. This was considered a holy deed.
1:19:50 - It considered as an unlucky omen, the meeting with a woman who comes with empty buckets.

Old January 2nd, 2017 #26
Alex Him

Smile

The lady with the dog (1960)

Дама с собачкой - (1960).

Based on the eponymous story by Anton Chekhov.

12+

Text - http://www.ibiblio.org/eldritch/ac/jr/197.htm

The movie 'The Sea-Gull' (story by Anton Chekhov) - http://vnnforum.com/showpost.php?p=2062913&postcount=14

2:54 - "I came to Tula with my own samovar!".
The city Tula is known for its samovars - http://vnnforum.com/showpost.php?p=1966630&postcount=10
And therefore go to Tula with your samovar it's same kind of silly like come to the resort city along with your wife.

22:23 - "To Oreanda?" - http://vnnforum.com/showpost.php?p=2...&postcount=122

Old January 2nd, 2017 #27
Alex Him

Smile

An old, old tale (1968)

Старая, старая сказка - (1968).

Inspired by the fairy tales of Hans Christian Andersen.

The cartoon 'The Snow Queen' (The fairy tale of Hans Christian Andersen) - http://vnnforum.com/showpost.php?p=1911508&postcount=13

31:16 - "There. They don't take back the empties".
In the USSR, some types of glass bottles can be given in special items. The price of these bottles was very low. Therefore, the king who makes it, was considered like sad and shameful phenomenon.

Old January 6th, 2017 #28
Alex Him

Smile

Beginning /
The Debut (1970)

Начало - (1970).

1:02:39 - This is the picture The Bogatyrs of Viktor Vasnetsov - http://vnnforum.com/showpost.php?p=2...&postcount=211

Old February 14th, 2017 #29
Alex Him

Smile

Hamlet (1964)

Гамлет - (1964).

Old February 14th, 2017 #30
roman1 TITAN

I have a question: what is the reason to promote old Soviet movies here? especially ones about negroes and arabs?

Old March 30th, 2017 #31
Alex Him

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by roman1 TITAN View Post
I have a question: what is the reason to promote old Soviet movies here? especially ones about negroes and arabs?
I received this assignment from Putin, personally.
Because the crushing effect of Russian art is higher than that of intercontinental ballistic missiles.

Old March 30th, 2017 #32
Alex Him

Smile

The Man from the Boulevard des Capucines (1987)

Человек с бульвара Капуцинов - (1987).

"The Boulevard des Capucines is one of the four 'grands boulevards' in Paris, a chain of boulevards running east-west that also includes Boulevard de la Madeleine, Boulevard des Italiens, and Boulevard Montmartre.

The name comes from a beautiful convent of Capuchin nuns whose garden was on the south side of the boulevard prior to the French Revolution.
No. 14 was the site of the Hotel Scribe and the location of the former Grand Café where the first public showing of movies by Auguste and Louis Lumière took place in the Salon Indien on 28 December 1895."

The text was taken from Wikipedia.

Last edited by Alex Him; March 30th, 2017 at 04:53 PM.

Old May 8th, 2017 #33
Alex Him

Liberation (1): The Fire Bulge (1969)

Освобождение: Огненная дуга (1969)

Contries which was involved in the creation of the film
Yugoslavia,
Italy,
Poland,
and GDR.

Old May 11th, 2017 #34
Ray Allan

This film was shot in the same semi-documentary style as The Longest Day, Tora, Tora, Tora and A Bridge Too Far. Many Americans are familiar with the battles the US fought in WW2, but not a lot know about the Battle of Kursk, the largest tank battle in history. So it's interesting too see something about the massive battles on the Eastern Front (or Western Front to Russians) between the USSR and Axis. Kind of strange to see the movie shifting from black-and-white to color, but it was a Russian/East German/Polish/Italian/Yugoslav co-production, and first in a series about these battles. Good casting with the actors playing Stalin, Hitler and Zhukov, too.

I also watched White Tiger--that was pretty good.

--Henry A. Kissinger, jewish politician and advisor

Old May 11th, 2017 #35
roman1 TITAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Him View Post
Liberation (1): The Fire Bulge (1969)

Освобождение: Огненная дуга (1969)

Contries which was involved in the creation of the film
Yugoslavia,
Italy,
Poland,
and GDR.
I like that Movie, that are a symbol of our victory over nazism. I watched this yesterday with family when we celebrated the holiday.

Old May 13th, 2017 #36
Alex Him

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Allan View Post
This film was shot in the same semi-documentary style as The Longest Day, Tora, Tora, Tora and A Bridge Too Far.
I have not watched these movies.

Quote:
Many Americans are familiar with the battles the US fought in WW2, but not a lot know about the Battle of Kursk, the largest tank battle in history. So it's interesting too see something about the massive battles on the Eastern Front (or Western Front to Russians) between the USSR and Axis.
Yes. I was hoping that it would be interesting for you.

Quote:
Kind of strange to see the movie shifting from black-and-white to color, but it was a Russian/East German/Polish/Italian/Yugoslav co-production, and first in a series about these battles.
In the movie, the events occurring directly on the front are colored.

Quote:
Good casting with the actors playing Stalin, Hitler and Zhukov, too.
I am not qualified in this field.

Quote:
I also watched White Tiger--that was pretty good.
I do not watch contemporary Russian movies at all. Because they are either Russophobic or pale likenesses of Hollywood blockbusters.
The only common recognized Russian patriotic movie (that I heard about in recent years) is the Panfilov's 28 Men (2016).

Old May 13th, 2017 #37
Alex Him

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by roman1 TITAN View Post
I like that Movie, that are a symbol of our victory over nazism. I watched this yesterday with family when we celebrated the holiday.
You did not approve of this topic before.
I hope Mosfilm will make English subtitles to all the episodes of this movie.

Old May 13th, 2017 #38
Ray Allan

I did want to watch the second film, but there were no English subtitles. I'll have to break out my Rosetta Stone Russian-language CDs I bought several years ago when I was hoping to visit there.

One criticism: I noticed Hitler was portrayed in a cartoonish fashion, constantly shouting. In real life, that wasn't the case. Of course, in just about all jew Hollywood movies he is portrayed as a raving lunatic, too.

--Henry A. Kissinger, jewish politician and advisor

Old May 13th, 2017 #39
Alex Him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Allan View Post
I did want to watch the second film, but there were no English subtitles. I'll have to break out my Rosetta Stone Russian-language CDs I bought several years ago when I was hoping to visit there.
I think that subtitles to all other movies will be added a little later and then I'll post them.

Quote:
One criticism: I noticed Hitler was portrayed in a cartoonish fashion, constantly shouting. In real life, that wasn't the case. Of course, in just about all jew Hollywood movies he is portrayed as a raving lunatic, too.
I do not know what to tell you. I did not see Hitler during his lifetime.
The records of his speeches before the people that I saw were very emotionally.

Old January 15th, 2018 #40
Alex Him

Liberation (2): Breakthrough (1969)

Освобождение: Прорыв (1969)

Thread