VNN Digital Library
VNN Reader Mail
VNN Broadcasts

Old August 26th, 2013 #301
Bardamu
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Linder View Post
Good heavens, those are obscure. I don't even think those are available around here. I use deer drippings, mostly. It is clear that ordinary veg oils are terrible for you. We discussed that on this forum and people think coconut oil is the best. And maybe lard or tallow.
Olive oil is fine, just don't smoke it in the skillet. Look at the history behind olive oil.

Old August 26th, 2013 #302
Bardamu
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Marr View Post
For high activity levels they recommend sweet potato, butternut squash, acorn squash, beets, pumpkin and parsnips.
Yes there are tons of carbs in winter squashes and those would do the trick.

Quote:
They consider monounsaturated and saturated fats to be good because of their stability and polyunsaturated fats to be bad because of their propensity to break down into free radicals.
I'm familiar with the theory of paleodiet, but I'm not sure it is true, from my own experience.

Old August 26th, 2013 #303
ThomasStuart1441

I'm doing nothing spectacular or eccentric to drop.weight

10,000 steps/day 5-7 days per week.

At least 60% of every meal in veggies.

Meat portions no larger than a deck of cards.

Carb portions no larger than two decks of cards, with preference given to high-fiber/low fat/nutritive carb sources.

180 Minutes of fitness activity/week, split into 3 or 4 sessions. Half cardio, half strength-building.

Journaling food intake and fitness activity--aiming for 1800-2400 calories/day.

Old August 27th, 2013 #304
M.N. Dalvez

Quote:
I'm familiar with the theory of paleodiet
My major objection to it is that Paleolithic humans had daily energy requirements the like of which soft modern humans can only aspire to. But, of course, calling it a 'caveman' or 'paleo' diet makes it seem like such a good idea to a lot of blokes ...

The same goes for the frugivorous diet which apparently is promoted in Creativity circles (or was, at one point - I seem to recall Klassen writing at length about the virtues of a frugivorous diet). Our distant ancestors were hominids who largely subsisted on fruit - we no longer are.

Last edited by M.N. Dalvez; August 28th, 2013 at 04:33 AM.

Old January 12th, 2015 #305
Fred
Commie Killer

It has been more than a year and my doc says that I am totally healthy. I have lost another 20 lbs and am actually considered to be slim. I feel just great.

Correction 2 years.

Last edited by Fred; January 13th, 2015 at 07:51 PM.

Old January 13th, 2015 #306
Alyss
vnn member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred View Post
It has been more than a year and my doc says that I am totally healthy. I have lost another 20 lbs and am actually considered to be slim. I feel just great.
Congratulations. Ive read your first post, you are doing what my sister has done. Cutting out all carbs and hitting the gym.

My sisters top weight was 98kgs, now she is size 8/10 / 54kgs.

Ive been fasting today to try and lose weight, i don't need too but its always good too lose a few. I don't know how you've done it? Im bloody starving .

Thread