VNN Digital Library
VNN Reader Mail
VNN Broadcasts

Old November 5th, 2012 #61
Donnie in Ohio
Switching to glide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Marr View Post

The distilled brew has a slightly different flavor. I prefer it. More noticeable is the texture or body. The distilled is smoother. Almost creamy.
Yeah, we use distilled water. As in brewing beer, good water is the first step.

Old November 15th, 2012 #62
Donnie in Ohio
Switching to glide

The coffee this morning is Timothy's® Midnight Magic Extra Bold Coffee.

Description:

"This tangy blend is dark, sweet and powerful. Created to harmonize the body and sweetness of top quality Arabica coffee with the spiciness of West Coast roasting. This rich and robust coffee is a powerhouse that will perk up your day".

This stuff is strong. Slight acidic/aspirin bitterness on the finish, like a West Coast IPA.

Why is the fact that it's an 'Arabica' coffee highlighted? What's so great about Arabica coffee? I smell marketing afoot.

Old November 15th, 2012 #63
Jimmy Marr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie in Ohio View Post
Why is the fact that it's an 'Arabica' coffee highlighted? What's so great about Arabica coffee? I smell marketing afoot.
Nope. It can't be the foot of capitalism that stinks, here. It's gotta be those goddamned Krauts again, mkay?

Quote:
Robusta production greatly increased in the decades since World War II. Europe was devastated by the war. Food and money were scarce. The coffee markets responded in very different ways. In Germany, people who could afford it, wanted to buy beans so they could see whether fillers like chicory had been added. No "ersatz" coffee for them. In Italy and France, cheaper coffees and fillers found their way into the national taste. France encouraged Robusta production in its former colonies in west Africa and imposed a tax on Arabica coffees in support of that effort. Even now, blends that are 100 percent Arabica are always labeled to attract more discriminating buyers and to justify the increased price.
http://www.theatlantic.com/health/ar...contest/19780/

Old November 15th, 2012 #64
Donnie in Ohio
Switching to glide

Arabica Uber Alles.

Old December 6th, 2012 #65
Donnie in Ohio
Switching to glide

In the cup this morning is Green Mountain Coffee Vermont Country Blend® Coffee.

From their website:

Green Mountain Coffee's tribute to their home state. This coffee is crafted to comfort and inspire.

I do feel inspired. I'm giving these brewers as Christmas gifts. Yeah, I'm an atheist but I give Christmas presents.

I'm a complex man.

Old December 6th, 2012 #66
Jimmy Marr

Quote:

I'm a complex man.
A rich one, too, by the sound of it.

I'm sending you a friend request.

Old December 8th, 2012 #67
Donnie in Ohio
Switching to glide

Quote:
A rich one, too, by the sound of it.
Mostly undeserved, I can assure you.

Quote:
I'm sending you a friend request.
Well, you can't have too many friends, right?

Old December 8th, 2012 #68
Jimmy Marr

I was at Costco just before closing last night and found some Dunkin' Donuts Blend.

I'm having a cup now and, while it's nothing to write home about, I'm willing to write to Ohio.

The brewing process was unusual this morning because I slept in and my wife made the coffee. We normally coarse grind our beans and brew them in a french press. Since this coffee is pre-ground medium, she used an Alfi carafe, which, while it can make good coffee, takes practice.

We were also out of distilled water.

I'll try again tomorrow, but I'm guessing this coffee is mainly going to be nostalgia trip for me.

I do have fond memories of meeting fellow students and drinking coffee at Dunkin' Donuts as an undergrad at U.T. El Paso. I figured D.D. were out of business. We haven't had any around in the Northwest for a long time. I'm not sure they were ever popular up here.

Are they a going concern in Ohio?

Old December 9th, 2012 #69
Donnie in Ohio
Switching to glide

Quote:

I do have fond memories of meeting fellow students and drinking coffee at Dunkin' Donuts as an undergrad at U.T. El Paso. I figured D.D. were out of business. We haven't had any around in the Northwest for a long time. I'm not sure they were ever popular up here.

Are they a going concern in Ohio?
You know, now that you mention it, I haven't seen one around here in years either. There seems to be a Tim Hortons in every strip mall, though.

A bit off topic, but would you like a gratis jar of this?:

Gaede Swastika Brand Honey
in the following 11 flavors

Whiskey
Cinnamon
Wild Sage
Orange Wildflower
Cracked Pepper
Lemon Sweet
Hot Pepper
Pumpkin Spiced
Smoked Chipolte
Mint
Smoked Campfire

This honey is raw grade A and GMO free with all natural flavoring and cold processed to retain its nutritional value.

It was produced in the Sierra Mountain foothills of California where my father runs his cattle ranch and brands his cattle with the swastika brand which is a symbol that can be traced back to 3000 BC. It has been used by the ancient Trojans, Native Americans, Buddhists and Hindus as well as by American cattlemen, a WWI American Army Division, the Boy Scouts and Coca Cola as a symbol of good luck. This symbol is also considered a sacred symbol for the Nordic people.

Last edited by Donnie in Ohio; December 9th, 2012 at 06:26 AM.

Old December 9th, 2012 #70
Jimmy Marr

Quote:
A bit off topic, but would you like a gratis jar of this?:

[I]Gaede Swastika Brand Honey
in the following 11 flavors

Whiskey
Cinnamon
Wild Sage
Orange Wildflower
Cracked Pepper
Lemon Sweet
Hot Pepper
Pumpkin Spiced
Smoked Chipolte
Mint
Smoked Campfire
I'd love a jar of Orange Wildflower, if it's not too much trouble.

I'll PM my mailing address.

Old December 9th, 2012 #71
Donnie in Ohio
Switching to glide

Quote:
I'd love a jar of Orange Wildflower, if it's not too much trouble.
Done. Orange Wildflower it is.

Smoked Campfire has got to be interesting at the very least. We should send one to Giles.

Old January 2nd, 2013 #72
Jimmy Marr

I made a New Year's resolution to abstain from coffee.

I'm sure coffee is not a health hazard when drunk in moderation, but previous attempts at moderation have failed for me, so I'm going for complete abstention.

If I violate this resolution, I'm going to post a notification of it on this thread.

Old January 2nd, 2013 #73
Donnie in Ohio
Switching to glide

Quote:
I made a New Year's resolution to abstain from coffee.

I'm sure coffee is not a health hazard when drunk in moderation, but previous attempts at moderation have failed for me, so I'm going for complete abstention.

If I violate this resolution, I'm going to post a notification of it on this thread.
Forever?

Juan Valdez must have really pissed you off, Jim. I, OTOH, have recently discovered Gevalia, bitches.

Old January 2nd, 2013 #74
Jimmy Marr

Quote:
Forever?

Juan Valdez must have really pissed you off, Jim. I, OTOH, have recently discovered Gevalia, bitches.
I think that Dunkin' Donut blend may have been the last straw for me. Next time you get to wondering what's so great about arabica beans, switch to robusta for a while. But watch out. It could change your life forever.

I'll probably be learning a lot about tea over the next year. Do you mind if I post about it on this thread?

I'm reluctant to start a tea thread for fear the Brits (Bev in particular) could hijack it.

Old January 2nd, 2013 #75
Eire

Default K cups

Has anyone tried the reusable K cups?

Old January 3rd, 2013 #76
Donnie in Ohio
Switching to glide

Quote:

I'll probably be learning a lot about tea over the next year. Do you mind if I post about it on this thread?
I would welcome it. I'm pretty tea-ignorant at this point.

Old January 3rd, 2013 #77
Donnie in Ohio
Switching to glide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eire View Post
Has anyone tried the reusable K cups?
If you mean the plastic K cup you can create yourself w/ground coffee, no.

It would kind of defeat the simplicity purpose if you ask me. Unless someone was really into coffee and wanted to create a blend of their own I guess.

Old January 3rd, 2013 #78
Jimmy Marr

Quote:
I would welcome it. I'm pretty tea-ignorant at this point.
OK, but we'll have to keep it on the down low. If Bev or Henry find out, they'll be in here like gang busters, and have the subject of this thread switched to pedophilia before you can say "Earl Grey".

For all their snobbery, the English know nothing about tea, which inevitably rotted aboard English ships during transport from Asia.

Unwilling to accept their losses, the English proclaimed a preference for this spoilage, which became known as "Black Tea". This aberration spread to the Scots and Irish, and eventually made its way to the most distant shores of Western civilization where White Nationalists are plagued by its vestiges to this very day.

When the ostensibly prim and proper Bev extols the virtues of her beloved Yorkshire Gold, beware of a profound evil, which lurks just below the surface.

Old January 3rd, 2013 #79
M.N. Dalvez

Black teas have a history as old as any other type of tea.

Black teas which have been blended with other herbs (Earl Gray and Lady Gray, for one thing) are awful, though. People can do so much with the leaves of the one plant, so why mix it with other plants?

Old January 3rd, 2013 #80
keifer

For you scurvy dogs lacking vitamin C, try some Pine Needle Tea.
Remember to simmer but not boil.

Tags
coffee, keurig brewer

Thread