Vanguard News Network
VNN Media
VNN Digital Library
VNN Reader Mail
VNN Broadcasts

Old June 3rd, 2014 #261
Alex Linder
Administrator

Kingsnakes use constriction to kill their prey and tend to be opportunistic when it comes to their diet; they will eat other snakes (ophiophagy), including venomous snakes, lizards, rodents, birds, and eggs.[2] The common kingsnake is known to be immune to the venom of other snakes and to eat rattlesnakes, but is not necessarily immune to the venom of snakes from different localities.[2] The "king" in the name (as with the king cobra) references its taste for other snakes.

Kingsnake Kingsnake

Old June 4th, 2014 #262
Samuel Toothgold
Charachature incarnate

Location: Already in accordance with the future Repulsive Tapir Avatar Mandate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Linder View Post
- bat came from nowhere, was twitting and freaking until it knocked it down and scooped it out.
We have bats flying around streetlamps here, at night. Since insects are attracted to light, there's plenty to feed on and it's a positive indication that the local environment is still somewhat intact.
When I last visited Italy in summer, there was a mosquito plague, because there were neither bats nor swallows around. The person I asked as to why this is said the farmers nearby were using pesticides to protect their soya bean fields.
It's rare that a bat will enter a home and when they do, other bats eventually follow, for some strange reason.

Old June 11th, 2014 #263
Tintin
∞ 𐌙 λ

The wolf snake that eluded scientists for a decade: New species is discovered in Cambodian mountain range

Quote:
  • The 'Lycodon zoosvictoriae' snake was found in the Cardamom Mountains
  • Wolf snakes gained their name because of their powerful and jagged fangs
  • The new species has light brown skin with unique darker brown markings
  • Scientists believe its unusual colours have helped the creature remain hidden, despite ongoing research efforts to find new species in the area

Old June 20th, 2014 #264
Alex Linder
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuel Toothgold View Post
We have bats flying around streetlamps here, at night. Since insects are attracted to light, there's plenty to feed on and it's a positive indication that the local environment is still somewhat intact.
When I last visited Italy in summer, there was a mosquito plague, because there were neither bats nor swallows around. The person I asked as to why this is said the farmers nearby were using pesticides to protect their soya bean fields.
It's rare that a bat will enter a home and when they do, other bats eventually follow, for some strange reason.
It's not rare at all around here. They'll enter anywhere they can get in - not just attics, but places down low. Older cheaper housing with cracks in foundation or grills with wide enough slats into attics is just perfect for bats.

Old June 20th, 2014 #265
Alex Linder
Administrator

hamblin (a non-coots shaker of the same general area and mindset) evicted...god wants people shaking snakes, but only if their motives are pure
http://www.wbir.com/story/news/local...stor/11000287/

i love that face. it reminds me of carrey's character in dumb and dumber. i wonder if carrey thought hmm...what's the dumbest type of person there is? what does his face look like?

Last edited by Alex Linder; June 20th, 2014 at 07:52 AM.

Old June 20th, 2014 #266
Alex Linder
Administrator

[as nbf mentioned upthread...]

Searching for the holy grail of snake bite antidotes
June 18, 2014 at 6:37 PM EDT

Although snake bites are rarely fatal in the United States, every year about 100,000 people die worldwide after being bitten by venomous snakes. A California doctor has developed a nasal spray treatment that may be able to help some snake bite victims halt paralysis before they reach a hospital. Special correspondent Spencer Michels has the story.

8m video

transcript
http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/searc...ite-antidotes/

Old June 20th, 2014 #267
Alex Linder
Administrator

A frightening scene for a family visiting the botanical garden in Ann Arbor. Police on the campus of University of Michigan tell WWJ that a young child was bitten by a Massasauga Rattlesnake, which is venomous.

http://detroit.cbslocal.com/2014/06/...anical-garden/

Old June 20th, 2014 #268
Alex Linder
Administrator

Meera Nandlal with the Houston SPCA says that her department and the Harris County Precinct 1 Constable's Office worked together, with assistance from the Houston Zoo, to rescue 15 snakes and one cat from the home. Nandlal said that some of the snakes are very large and said to be underweight.

http://www.chron.com/houston/article...on-5562366.php

As of now the woman has not yet been identified.

She had been keeping the 15 snakes, of which there were various breeds of pythons and boa constrictors, in a "snake room" in her home, Mosier said.

Today officials arrived with a court order to seize the snakes, joined by herpetologist from the zoo. To the naked eye, said Mosier, they look to be in good health but according to zoo staff they were in fact not.

The largest of the snakes was 18 to 20 feet, according Mosier, with the smallest one just a foot or two in length. The woman had allegedly been feeding the biggest ones by throwing live chickens and rabbits into their homemade enclosures, he said. The largest ones seem to be suffering the most.

"They weren't able to stretch out the way they should and that's dangerous for them," said Mosier.

There were a lot of people handling them and only one official was bit, by the smallest python in the bunch, according to Mosier. The snakes were placed in dog kennels and removed from the residence.

The owner of the snakes had moved into the smaller house behind the house that the snakes were living in because it had become too cluttered with snakes and other belongings she had accumulated.

Old June 20th, 2014 #269
Matthaus Hetzenauer
Wutta maroon!

Quote:
hamblin (a non-coots shaker of the same general area and mindset) evicted...god wants people shaking snakes, but only if their motives are pure
http://www.wbir.com/story/news/local...stor/11000287/

i love that face. it reminds me of carrey's character in dumb and dumber. i wonder if carrey thought hmm...what's the dumbest type of person there is? what does his face look like?

Heh! As good as Carrey is at making those weird, distorted faces of his, he can't compete with 90% of the Pentecostals I've known here in Florida -- those one-digit I.Q. mongolian idiots make him look like a Harvard-Oxford-Sorbonne-educated egghead in comparison.

btw -- lots more black racers active down here in the Gunshine State the last couple weeks than in the past four or five years. Up till about 2010 I'd see 2-3 per day on average. After that time they seemed to disappear; and between 2010 until just recently I spotted not more than ten in all that time. I wonder what that was all about...

Old June 20th, 2014 #270
N.B. Forrest

Quote:

"The man who does not exercise the first law of nature—that of self preservation — is not worthy of living and breathing the breath of life." - John Wesley Hardin

Old June 22nd, 2014 #271
Samuel Toothgold
Charachature incarnate

Quote:
University of Michigan tell WWJ that a young child was bitten by a Massasauga Rattlesnake, which is venomous.
Young children and elderly persons are especially endangered by animal poisoning. Rattlesnakes irresponsibly released into unnatural habitats are more dangerous than when found in their own habitats, because nobody expects to find them in places they weren't meant to be in. The only snakes I ever encountered that far north were garter snakes which were common, before they started building apartments and a golfcourse in the woods we used to play in.
Retards who either turn loose anacondas which have gotten too large to keep or fail to secure their terrariums have altered the entire Everglades and nobody can guess how many of these imported constrictors now populate Florida.

Old June 23rd, 2014 #272
Matthaus Hetzenauer
Wutta maroon!

Quote:
Retards who either turn loose anacondas which have gotten too large to keep or fail to secure their terrariums have altered the entire Everglades and nobody can guess how many of these imported constrictors now populate Florida.
I don't know if it's anacondas or boas that are necessarily the big problem in south Florida; but I do know that the very aggressive African rock python is a serious threat indeed. These fuckers can reach a length of 20' (though the largest captured to date in the Everglades measured about 14'); and they've been known to feast on gators 6' or more long. In Africa itself they'll even attack Nile crocs, which are a helluva lot more vicious than American gators. This is one mean snake, no doubt about it; and they're breeding faster than hunters hired to bring the problem under some level of control can kill or capture them.

Last edited by Matthaus Hetzenauer; June 23rd, 2014 at 10:14 AM.

Old June 23rd, 2014 #273
Samuel Toothgold
Charachature incarnate

It's both the anacondas and pythons which were turned loose. They have even been known to attempt swallowing Sapiens.
One of them cleansed a South African town by acquiring a taste for Slumdog/Outhouse Stalker:

http://mysteries24.com/dream-meaning...man-in-limpopo

Old June 23rd, 2014 #274
Matthaus Hetzenauer
Wutta maroon!

Quote:
It's both the anacondas and pythons which were turned loose. They have even been known to attempt swallowing Sapiens.
One of them cleansed a South African town by acquiring a taste for Slumdog/Outhouse Stalker:

http://mysteries24.com/dream-meaning...man-in-limpopo

Good grief; that's one sub-human-consuming sonofabitch, that is...

I eyeballed an online pic years ago that showed a slit-open anaconda, I believe it was, which had earlier that day chowed down on a boy about 12-years-old. (Someone had witnessed the event and the snake was tracked down and killed.) The kid was in an almost fetal position and the constrictor's stomach juices had half-digested him. What a way to go, eh? having the life squeezed out of you while you feel your bones cracking like twigs...

Old June 23rd, 2014 #275
Samuel Toothgold
Charachature incarnate

The only obstacle preventing snakes from swallowing full-grown Sapiens is the bredth of their shoulders. That, however, doesn't stop them from squeezing them. When they coil up, it's like getting squeezed by a giant fist. They measured their strength and it's equivalent to having a schoolbus set upon you.

Old July 15th, 2014 #276
Alex Linder
Administrator

JEFFERSON — The 10- to 20-foot snake seen in and around Lake Hopatcong [N.J.] is still on the loose — but maybe local residents should be checking behind their own computer keyboards. It's got its own Twitter account.

Trooper Jeff Flynn said Monday State Police have received three calls about the massive snake to date, and searched the area each time. But each time, they've failed to turn it up.

As reported by NJ.com Thursday, Jefferson Police Capt. Eric Wilsusen said the snake — first reported to police the day before — was reported to be greater than 14 feet in length, and was described by a resident as a boa constrictor.

But accounts of the snake's length have varied. CBS New York on Friday cited resident reports that the snake was "up to 20 feet long." Lake Hopatcong news cited a resident describing the snake as between 10 and 15 feet. And the Byram Cove Party Facebook page, which has been tracking news of the snake, on Sunday described it as between 10 and 12 feet while coiled and swimming, with a girth of 4 to 5 inches.

Also according to the page, a "snake expert from (the) state" plans to be in the area Thursday to set traps. Flynn didn't have any information about that effort, and a spokesman for the state Department of Environmental Protection said the expert isn't with its Division of Fish and Wildlife. Calls by NJ.com to the state Department of Environmental Protection as well as local police have not yet been returned.

"He said Saturday that it's more than likely living on Halsey (a private Island on Lake Hopatcong) in wooded area and coming over to the houses to feed cause it's directly across the surrounding docks," the Byram Cove Party page posted. "He also said unless someone gets lucky we probably will not catch it an will be around for months. That's all the info from state snake expert from south jersey."

http://www.nj.com/morris/index.ssf/2...r_account.html

Old July 15th, 2014 #277
Alex Linder
Administrator

Snake bite kills man camping with family

ST. CHARLES, Mo. – A St. Charles man has died as a result of a bite from a copperhead snake while camping in southeast Missouri.

According to Wayne County Sheriff Dean Finch,Timothy Levins and his family had camped out at Sam A. Baker State Park. Levins and his son walked outside, saw the snake and brought it to his son's attention. When he picked it up, the snake bit him.

[nice illiteracy. he who him what it huh]

Levins became sick and a neighboring cabin came over to help and called an ambulance shrieking "Moron down! Moron down!" Levins was later pronounced dead at an area hospital.

The coroner ruled Levins died due to anaphylactic shock due to a snake bite.

In the history of Missouri, three deaths have occurred from copperhead snake bites, including Levins.

Finch suggests that if you notice a copperhead snake, that you shouldn't pick it up.

http://www.firstcoastnews.com/story/...bite/12592213/

The Missouri Poison Center recorded 596 venomous snakebites in the seven-year period from 1993 through 1999, or about 85 per year. None of those were fatal. The last documented death from a copperhead bite in Missouri was in 1965.

The Show-Me State has five venomous snakes. These are the copperhead, the cottonmouth, and the timber rattlesnake, pygmy rattlesnake and massasauga rattlesnakes. The other 30-odd snake species native to Missouri may bite if cornered or handled, but their bites are not dangerous.

Old July 15th, 2014 #278
Alex Linder
Administrator

BALDWIN, Fla. -- A young boy was bitten by a snake Friday in Baldwin.

The Baldwin Fire Station Captain tell FCN a 4 year old boy was bitten by a rattlesnake around 1 p.m. He was transferred to the Baldwin Fire Station and then flown to UF Shands in Gainesville.

His name and condition is unknown.

No other information was immediately available.

Update: The boy, Brayden Bullard, has passed away.

http://www.firstcoastnews.com/story/...-boy/10460139/

Old July 15th, 2014 #279
Matthaus Hetzenauer
Wutta maroon!

Wait a cotton-pickin' minute here...

Post #276: One account has this snake being 10-12' long, yet it's girth is estimated at 4-5"? Girth is the measurement, not across, but around an object, such as a person's waist. If true, this is one anorexic snake, by God...

But all this sounds awfully Bigfoot/Nessie-ish to me; like bullshit. Next thing you know, it'll have huge, hummingbird-like fins that enable it to fly and attack party animal spring breakers on lakeshore beaches, just like in those low budget flicks on the Syfy channel; the ones "starring" has-been or never-was actors such as Erik Estrada or Bridget Fonda. And the more media attention this story receives, the more crank calls the authorities themselves are going to receive.

Old July 15th, 2014 #280
Alex Linder
Administrator

guy owns hundreds of snakes, gets depressed, quits taking care of them, they die and stink so bad neighbors smell
http://www.theguardian.com/world/201...ntenced-snakes

Tags
snakes

Thread