VNN Digital Library
VNN Reader Mail
VNN Broadcasts

Old May 14th, 2009 #41
Alex Linder
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antiochus Epiphanes View Post
i laid in some asparagus last year. it sprouted this year but weakly, I need to boost the yield somehow.

I have perennial chive, strawberry, and green onion going like crazy now. I thought my dog dug up my whole garlic patch but he must have missed twelve cloves because they're sprouting well now.

I got some tomato seedlings going with the kids then somebody stuck em in a dark spot and they all wilted. I will just go buy some starts from the hardware, which works fine and is well worth the buck each I pay.

I live between engineers in suburbs and both guys plant crazy successful gardens compared to my piddling beds. Oh well, better than nothing eh-
Asparagus is fantastic when it goes, and it requires no effort and tastes great snapped and eaten, compared to that mushy gunk in cans. it does seem to have some weird root system, but when you get it going, you get multiple spears every few days.

I found strawberry to be remarkably quick spreading. That's one thing you have to get to quick before the animals do.

Old May 14th, 2009 #42
Alex Linder
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kievsky View Post
Thanks. At this point I need a plant, but in the future I might try from seeds.

Old May 15th, 2009 #43
Joe_J.
Radio active

My garden is in at the new quarters and coming along pretty well. Trying a new, heirloom bean that is supposed to produce a nice red flower to add visual appeal as well as food.

I dug a bed of lillies (?) up and put spinach and artichoke in place of it. Also planted some dill on a bank with nothing else on it.

Planted corn but I get some really nasty washouts from hard rains we have had, so it may not come up. Not sure. Had some potatoes there, but the wet got them.

Swiss Chard is up, radishes about ready (I eat four or five bags a week from the grocery store, so I plan on getting more in) and I will be doing some Daichon radishes this fall. Beans, beans and more beans, watermelon, some pumpkin for the girls this fall, cucumber, zucchini, yellow squash, mustard greens, Thai peppers, cayenne peppers.

This year, I am trying to do about all heirloom stuff, so I can save seeds. I found some heirloom pear tomatoes and Black Krim black tomatoes from Russia. Looking forward to seeing how they do as I have never seen a black tomato before.

I hope that everyone is having a successful garden, except for Kievsky because I think he must have been born with a green thumb.

For those with limited space, consider "wide row" methods with boxes, etc. Some White man in Rhodesia has been teaching other Whites there to do that so they won't starve with the niggers. Apparently, the whole thing is very small but has big production.

EDIT: Watch for freaking ticks when you are done working outside!!!! I got Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever last year. The bacteria is gone but I have serious problems with muscle pains and joint inflammation. I got this from crushing a tick I found on my pants last year. If you live in the northeast, watch for deerticks (very small) that carry Lyme disease, which is worse than what I had. The only good thing about RMSF is that nonWhites have a high chance of dying from it within the first five days!

Last edited by Joe_J.; May 15th, 2009 at 12:55 PM.

Old May 15th, 2009 #44
Kievsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathtozog View Post
My garden is in at the new quarters and coming along pretty well. Trying a new, heirloom bean that is supposed to produce a nice red flower to add visual appeal as well as food.

I dug a bed of lillies (?) up and put spinach and artichoke in place of it. Also planted some dill on a bank with nothing else on it.

Planted corn but I get some really nasty washouts from hard rains we have had, so it may not come up. Not sure. Had some potatoes there, but the wet got them.

Swiss Chard is up, radishes about ready (I eat four or five bags a week from the grocery store, so I plan on getting more in) and I will be doing some Daichon radishes this fall. Beans, beans and more beans, watermelon, some pumpkin for the girls this fall, cucumber, zucchini, yellow squash, mustard greens, Thai peppers, cayenne peppers.

This year, I am trying to do about all heirloom stuff, so I can save seeds. I found some heirloom pear tomatoes and Black Krim black tomatoes from Russia. Looking forward to seeing how they do as I have never seen a black tomato before.

I hope that everyone is having a successful garden, except for Kievsky because I think he must have been born with a green thumb.

For those with limited space, consider "wide row" methods with boxes, etc. Some White man in Rhodesia has been teaching other Whites there to do that so they won't starve with the niggers. Apparently, the whole thing is very small but has big production.

EDIT: Watch for freaking ticks when you are done working outside!!!! I got Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever last year. The bacteria is gone but I have serious problems with muscle pains and joint inflammation. I got this from crushing a tick I found on my pants last year. If you live in the northeast, watch for deerticks (very small) that carry Lyme disease, which is worse than what I had. The only good thing about RMSF is that nonWhites have a high chance of dying from it within the first five days!
If you did raised beds like I showed you with teh dryer drums, they won't wash out even in hard rains.

Here's a good book appropriate to North America on growing maximum food in small spaces:

Amazon.com: Mini Farming for Self Sufficiency: Brett Markham: Books Amazon.com: Mini Farming for Self Sufficiency: Brett Markham: Books

Old May 15th, 2009 #45
Joe_J.
Radio active

Thanks for the info, Kievsky!

I am going to do some raised beds in the front yard. I just haven't bought the lumber yet to put them together.

I am also considering a greenhouse for year-round production.

Also composting everything. We don't eat meat much at all so most leftovers that don't get eaten, get recycled. Also, coffee grounds, paper, tobacco, etc.

A local guy in my area that rolls his own cigarettes is so pissed about the new tobacco taxes that he is growing his own tobacco.

Old May 15th, 2009 #46
George Witzgall

gardening is fucking hard work.

Old May 15th, 2009 #47
Joe_J.
Radio active

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Witzgall View Post
gardening is fucking hard work.
I guess it depends on what you do. Working in someone's 140 degree attic, or crawling around in places full of insulation, just big enough to squeeze into are hard work to me. My garden comes as a welcome relief and stress reliever. And read my post above about having gotten RMSF a year ago. If I can wield a garden rake, a hoe, etc. on days when my hands are swollen and hurt like hell, or I can barely walk because my foot, or knee is inflamed and hurting like a sonofabitch, then you should have no problems at all. That's my nice way of telling you not to be such a baby.

I take it you are an office worker kind of guy, George. The "hard work" will do you good.

Old May 15th, 2009 #48
George Witzgall

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathtozog View Post
I guess it depends on what you do. Working in someone's 140 degree attic, or crawling around in places full of insulation, just big enough to squeeze into are hard work to me. My garden comes as a welcome relief and stress reliever. And read my post above about having gotten RMSF a year ago. If I can wield a garden rake, a hoe, etc. on days when my hands are swollen and hurt like hell, or I can barely walk because my foot, or knee is inflamed and hurting like a sonofabitch, then you should have no problems at all. That's my nice way of telling you not to be such a baby.

I take it you are an office worker kind of guy, George. The "hard work" will do you good.
haha it's good for me. I'm just fearing when the mosquitos start to come out. nothing like sweating your ass off under a searing sun, with a backache and a swarm of voracious tiger mosquitos.

then I say: where da fuck be my slaves?!

Old May 15th, 2009 #49
Joe_J.
Radio active

Quote:
haha it's good for me. I'm just fearing when the mosquitos start to come out. nothing like sweating your ass off under a searing sun, with a backache and a swarm of voracious tiger mosquitos.

Yeah, mosquitoes are bad. The slaves are worse, though. I'd like to have a time machine so I could go back and strangle the jews and the plantation guys that brought niggers to America.

Old May 16th, 2009 #50
Donnie in Ohio
Switching to glide

Quote:

1600 Pennsylvania Avenue.

Old May 16th, 2009 #51
Kievsky

Default under the sun

OK, time for some gardening health tips.

1. Mosquitoes come out when it gets dark. The crap that bites you in the sun are gnats. Either way, get yourself a mosquito netting hat. Here's one for only 5 dollars.
Amazon.com: Mosquito Head Net Olive Drab: Apparel Amazon.com: Mosquito Head Net Olive Drab: Apparel

2. Put on SPF 60 and cover yourself as much as you can without being too hot or restricted. Peasants throughout history cover up under the sun. Sunburns are bad for you. Avoid them.

3. Qigong and yoga will keep your joints lubricated. Free qigong instruction video on the Internet
http://www.fdm40.net/en-video/ipod/ExeInstr7.mp4 Free yoga video on the Internet:
http://yoga.org.nz/movieclips/highqu...uality1500.wmv
I do both of these regularly, especially in gardening season.

4. Take your time and have a systematic plan for what you want to accomplish. That's why I like the dryer drum method. You accomplish something very concrete, rather than just turning dirt around. You know you haven't left rocks and roots in the soil. My dryer drum method, in which a lot of manure is systematically mixed in, leaves the soil very soft and spongy for future years. If I decided to start using a rototiller, it would till very easily.

Old May 16th, 2009 #52
Donnie in Ohio
Switching to glide

Quick endorsement for "Miracle-Gro" plant/vegetable food.

The stuff truly works wonders. I highly recommend using it.

Old May 16th, 2009 #53
George Witzgall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie in Ohio View Post
Quick endorsement for "Miracle-Gro" plant/vegetable food.

The stuff truly works wonders. I highly recommend using it.
who needs that expensive stuff. I manufacture a liter of "Miracle-Gro" every day, and it's free! I got a bottle by my toilet, I apply it every night so no one knows but me!! don't tell anyone.

Old May 16th, 2009 #54
George Witzgall

I would ask what the dryer-drum method is but I don't want to make any more work for myself than is absolutely necessary.

Old May 16th, 2009 #55
Kievsky

Quote:
I would ask what the dryer-drum method is but I don't want to make any more work for myself than is absolutely necessary.
It's a lot of work up front, but more productive and lasting in the long run:

http://vnnforum.com/showpost.php?p=989379&postcount=31

It's a method of ensuring continuous soil improvement, too.

Old May 16th, 2009 #56
Joe_J.
Radio active

Ok, Kievsky, not to get too far off topic, but I will try the yoga. Might freak out my evangelical wife, but I will do it. I used to do just plain meditation minus the yoga part and it was helpful in dealing with stress. I can tell you that the medical system is a bunch of hooey. They gave me non inflammatory drugs that tried to eat a hole in my gut. So, anything is worth trying, aside from their drugs.

Old May 16th, 2009 #57
Kievsky

DTZ,

Yoga is completely on topic in an organic farming thread.

Be sure to do the falundafa.org Falun Gong exercises before the yoga. The standing qigong exercises loosen up the joints so you can do the yoga stretches with more ease and mobility.

Ever notice how many "workers compensation" claims come out of manual labor jobs? Most of those people aren't faking. Manual labor will wreck a person's body if they don't do yoga. Repetitive strain will get anybody.

If you do 10 hours a week or more of manual labor on a regular basis, you have to do yoga to sustain your body, just as you have to change the oil in your car.

Human life on earth, excepting this period in history with our fossil fuel inheritance, requires significant amounts of manual labor.

Thus I see qigong/yoga as a necessary hygienic practice, like bathing and brushing and flossing, especially for manual laborers. Manual laborers should be valued and to some degree "pampered" with careful diet and exercise regimes so that they don't end up on worker's compensation. It would be a hell of a lot cheaper to accomodate manual laborers with health monitoring and exercise regimes, than to pay them worker's comp for life. If you are a volunteer manual laborer, you need to do this for yourself.

Old May 16th, 2009 #58
OTPTT
Banned

Just in the couple of days that I've planted my seeds I came back from a trip today to find that my cucumbers and radishes had already begun to sprout. As they get large I'll transplant them into some containers. Awaiting the other eight vegetables to come to life.

Old May 17th, 2009 #59
TwistedCross
Smart Ass White Boy

here in Socal I am already harvesting the first of my bush beans, first of the early girl tomatoes are almost ready and the zucchini are flowering and showing fruit.

Unfortunately I think my season will be cut short by the early span of 100+ temps. If I only lived in a more temperate climate.

VNN: for entertainment purposes only.

Old May 17th, 2009 #60
Donnie in Ohio
Switching to glide

The morning news just gave a frost advisory for tonight!

Going to have to cover everything.

Unbelievable. Global warming my Irish ass.

Tags
#1, gardening, neo-amish movement

Thread