VNN Digital Library
VNN Broadcasts

Old December 11th, 2005 #81
Keystone
Kindly Hearted

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoaxThis
And just what, pray tell, "hippy-dippy" lyrics did Plant "screech?!"
Lookee here: Half of Led Zep II. Many others sprinkled about like fairy dust in the catalogue. Every time they left the blues behind, Plant got a little silly.
Quote:
He was every bit as good a songwriter as Jagger was and he didn't sound as if he had a bad head-cold when singing either.
Much better singer than Jagger, but lyrics wise, no way. Nowhere near the edge of Jagger's peak. Far from it.
Quote:
Hey, I love The Stones' music -- the earlier shit, that is: "Steetfighting Man", "Wild Horses", "Gimme Shelter", "Paint it Black." Now that's classic Rock.
That's the period I'm talking about Hoax. After about 1975, Some Girls and Tatoo You had some decent tunes, but that was about it.
Quote:
I think at this point in their careers they're only in it for the money. IMAO, they haven't put out a half-way decent album since the '70s.
I can't argue with that. Still, at their best, the Stones wiped the floor with the Beatles, Zeppelin and everyone else playing rock and roll.
Quote:
And it seems as though every other album they do put out is a "greatest hits" or "best of" collection.
I have one greatest hits Stones recording (my daughter bought it for my birthday) and the Ya Ya's live album. The rest are the old original albums.
Quote:
"The greatest Rock n' Roll band in the world?!" Maybe. But I think the title of greatest Rock band belongs to Zeppelin.
I would agree with you, but my preference is "rock and roll" and blues, which the Stones did better than Zep. The Lads also had help from Ian Stewart (piano) and Bobby Keys (sax) who helped make things swing.
Quote:
Think about it. And Page was more than a mere "technician." He was a master of the instrument, as were his peers, Beck and Clapton.
Page was kinda sloppy when I saw him live....
Quote:
If they keep it up much longer, they'll be "Rolling" alright -- rolling out onto the stage in wheelchairs that is.
LOL.

Old December 11th, 2005 #82
John in Woodbridge

The Rolling Stones put out some of the best music videos IMO. Try to check out a copy of The Rolling Stones - Video Rewind. Not sure if it is on DVD.

Old December 11th, 2005 #83
Keystone
Kindly Hearted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppelhaken
I can hear the tut-tutting from Pittsburgh.
Och. I'm not that much older than you, Doppel.
Quote:
The Animals were more fun than both.
They were fun but they only lasted, what, 2 or 3 years? Eric Burdon then joined the very diverse War. I think he wanted to be colored in his heart.

Old December 11th, 2005 #84
Keystone
Kindly Hearted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Crowe
The Rolling Stones put out some of the best music videos IMO. Try to check out a copy of The Rolling Stones - Video Rewind. Not sure if it is on DVD.
I've only seen a couple of Stones videos and one was really old. Mick Taylor was in it.

I've never watched MTV/VH1 much. I'll have to check it out.

Old December 11th, 2005 #85
Matthaus Hetzenauer
Wutta maroon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keystone
I've only seen a couple of Stones videos and one was really old. Mick Taylor was in it.
I know the one you're talking about. It was in B&W and they were in sailor suits getting washed away in a sea of suds or something at the end. I forget the name of the song though...

Speaking of Taylor -- anyone know why he left the band?...and at it's peak yet?!

Old December 12th, 2005 #86
Border Ruffian

Quote:
Somewhere I saw the old video for "Emotional Rescue". Disco sound yeah but the video was interesting. Some kind of crude thermal-imaging and low pixels. Weird one. Enjoyed it.

Old December 12th, 2005 #87
DJ_Zarathustra

Quote:
Speaking of Taylor -- anyone know why he left the band?...and at it's peak yet?!
Taylor was co-writing songs and not being credited for them, thereby missing out on substantial royalty payments. He also had developed a severe drug problem, and was smart enough to realize that he had to get out, or end up like Brian Jones.

Hot Licks is owned by Arlen Roth. Poor Mick.

Old December 12th, 2005 #88
Matthaus Hetzenauer
Wutta maroon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keystone
Lookee here:

I can't argue with that. Still, at their best, the Stones wiped the floor with the Beatles, Zeppelin and everyone else playing rock and roll.

I have one greatest hits Stones recording (my daughter bought it for my birthday) and the Ya Ya's live album. The rest are the old original albums.
Don't know about that. I heard that in the mid '70s, when Zep was at their peak, they were outselling The Stones -- ready for this? -- three to one in record sales. Hardly what I'd call "wiping the floor."

btw -- "Get Yer Ya Ya's Out" was my first Stones album. (The one with Mick on the cover in white coveralls jumping in the air with an Uncle Sam hat or something in his hand). "I think I busted a button on my trousers...You wouldn't want my trousers to fall down, now would ya?!" Lol!

Just checked it out -- the only people to outsell Zep in the US were The Beatles and Elvis.

Last edited by Matthaus Hetzenauer; December 12th, 2005 at 12:18 PM.

Old December 12th, 2005 #89
Kind Lampshade Maker
The paranormal silent type

I never cared for the band "Sparks", back then, when they used to play their only hit.
They broadcasted a music documentary of them, a couple of months ago. This was filmed in the early to mid eighties, after Sparks got rid of their Jew drummer and replaced it with some hot-looking chick. Ron Maes was the keyboard player who wore a Hitler-Chaplain-Hardy moustache and rolled his eyeballs back and forth the whole time.
I've seldom seen such quality showmanship. I wish I could get a GIF of Ron Maes rolling his peeps back and forth, for an avatar

Last edited by Kind Lampshade Maker; December 12th, 2005 at 07:17 PM.

Old December 12th, 2005 #90
Kind Lampshade Maker

Quote:
..."Get Yer Ya Ya's Out" was my first Stones album...
Did you ever get around to see the movie called "Performance starring Mick Jagger". There were some good 12 string guitars tunes played. The movie wasn't bad, either:

http://www.complete-review.com/revie...ma/perform.htm

Quote:
"...Performance is a notorious film. Filmed in 1968 (though not released until 1970)...It starred Mick Jagger as a washed-up rock star and James Fox ...Jack Nitzsche wrote most of the music, Randy Newman, Ry Cooder, and Jagger, among others, performed the songs...

Old December 13th, 2005 #91
Matthaus Hetzenauer
Wutta maroon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kind Lampshade Maker
Did you ever get around to see the movie called "Performance starring Mick Jagger". There were some good 12 string guitars tunes played. The movie wasn't bad, either:
No, never even heard of it, actually. I did see "Gimme Shelter" when it came out in theatres in the early '70s. Much better than "Woodstock." The movie centered on the Altamont (Ca.) Rock Festival -- considered by many to be the concert that shattered the aura of innocence surrounding the hippie "movement."

The Stones hired the Hell's Angels as "security" for the event (a bright idea they apparently borrowed from Janis Joplin. She used them regularly to beat the daylights out of anyone caught acting-up at her shows). Fans trying to climb onstage were either thrown or punched off by drunken Angels before they could get within 20' of the band members. Jagger stopped several times in the middle of a song and asked the bikers to refrain from being so rough with the crowd.

The best part of the whole movie was when some zoot-suited nigger pimp tried to approach the stage while flashing a knife. He was apparently attempting to reach Jagger himself, but -- and here's the good part -- the Angels caught sight of him and proceeded to cave his skull in. They literallly stomped him to death. Unfortunately, The Stones did not view this as added entertainment and canceled the rest of the show...

Spoilsports.

Old December 13th, 2005 #92
Cowan Huberty

PERFORMANCE spawned "Memo From Turner" which was one the great Jagger songs of all time...

White Power!

Old December 14th, 2005 #93
N.B. Forrest

Quote:
No, never even heard of it, actually. I did see "Gimme Shelter" when it came out in theatres in the early '70s. Much better than "Woodstock." The movie centered on the Altamont (Ca.) Rock Festival -- considered by many to be the concert that shattered the aura of innocence surrounding the hippie "movement."

The Stones hired the Hell's Angels as "security" for the event (a bright idea they apparently borrowed from Janis Joplin. She used them regularly to beat the daylights out of anyone caught acting-up at her shows). Fans trying to climb onstage were either thrown or punched off by drunken Angels before they could get within 20' of the band members. Jagger stopped several times in the middle of a song and asked the bikers to refrain from being so rough with the crowd.

The best part of the whole movie was when some zoot-suited nigger pimp tried to approach the stage while flashing a knife. He was apparently attempting to reach Jagger himself, but -- and here's the good part -- the Angels caught sight of him and proceeded to cave his skull in. They literallly stomped him to death. Unfortunately, The Stones did not view this as added entertainment and canceled the rest of the show...

Spoilsports.
Gimme Shelter really is a fascinating documentary. If memory serves, I think that that pimp-hatted jiggaboo thug that got dirtnapped was shown waving a pistol, and one of the Angels ventilated the monkey with a knife.

How 'bout that Angel up on stage that was stoned out of his mind on LSD? The porch light may have been flickering, but that fucker was definately not at home....lol

Old December 15th, 2005 #94
brutus

Maybe not the most underrated.

Thin Lizzy

Anyone remember "Vagabonds Of The Western World"?

Old December 15th, 2005 #95
Antiochus Epiphanes
Ἀντίοχος Ἐπιφανὴς

I cant quite enjoy Frampton, unless inebriated.

Thick-lipped Mick Jagger a better lyricist than Plant? Keystone, please, you can stow that misguided opinion in your aft cabin, right along with your jibberish about how Led Zep ripped their songs off from Blind Melon Dog Johnson's Lost Tracks from Parchman Farm.

Old December 15th, 2005 #96
Kind Lampshade Maker

Quote:
...zoot-suited nigger pimp tried to approach the stage while flashing a knife...
The Burrhead brandished a revolver. The Angel of Hell walked up behind it, and stuck it in the back with a knife. The Stones were there viewing the video and Mick looked appalled

Old December 15th, 2005 #97
Cowan Huberty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kind Lampshade Maker
The Burrhead brandished a revolver. The Angel of Hell walked up behind it, and stuck it in the back with a knife. The Stones were there viewing the video and Mick looked appalled
Watching that spook catch a knife to the back of his bone head is one the greatest cinematic moments ever-while "Under My Thumb" was played. The lime green suit nigger was with some white cunt and making trouble all day...he had a revolver,was waving it around and then some brave WHITE MEN saved the day by attacking him and exterminating him. AWESOME. :cheers:

White Power!

Old December 15th, 2005 #98
Matthaus Hetzenauer
Wutta maroon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by N.B. Forrest
Gimme Shelter really is a fascinating documentary. If memory serves, I think that that pimp-hatted jiggaboo thug that got dirtnapped was shown waving a pistol, and one of the Angels ventilated the monkey with a knife.
Yeah, you and KLM are both right. I thought I might have gotten it wardsback...

As I was thoroughly enjoying this spectacle, I remember my gf saying something along the lines of, "Cool! They're gonna kill the black bastard! Look!!..." Most of the audience -- and this is still the latter days of "hippiedom", mind you -- was cheering and hooting like niggers at a watermelon-eating contest as the Angels stomped and stabbed the shitskin to death.

That scene alone was worth the price of admission, if you ask me.

Old December 15th, 2005 #99
Matthaus Hetzenauer
Wutta maroon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antiochus Epiphanes
I cant quite enjoy Frampton, unless inebriated.

Thick-lipped Mick Jagger a better lyricist than Plant? Keystone, please, you can stow that misguided opinion in your aft cabin, right along with your jibberish about how Led Zep ripped their songs off from Blind Melon Dog Johnson's Lost Tracks from Parchman Farm.
I was thinking of conducting a "Zep vs Stones" poll/thread...

betcha the shit would really hit the fan.

heh heh!

HO :box:AX

Old December 15th, 2005 #100
Kind Lampshade Maker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowan Huberty
Watching that spook catch a knife to the back of his bone head is one the greatest cinematic moments ever-while "Under My Thumb" was played...:cheers:
They were doing, "Sympathy for the Devil"

Thread