Vanguard News Network
Pieville
VNN Media
VNN Digital Library
VNN Broadcasts

Old March 3rd, 2014 #1
Lucian A.
Banned

Default Recommend me a knife for under $60.

I'm looking for a nice folding pocket knife that comes really sharp out of the box. Maybe something with both a straight edge as well as a serrated edge, that I don't need to resharpen much. I was looking at the Kershaw Ken Onion Black Cyclone and it looked pretty nice...but I don't know a damn thing about knives and I thought I would look to you guys for some guidance.

Old March 3rd, 2014 #2
EDLIE Stampton
Banned

I dont know what you want to do with your knife but if its for gutting rabbits I would recommend a good traditional Stanley.2 to 5 quid with reversible blades and spares in the handle.
Do not go for the newer pretty designs.The original is the best.

Always be aware that knives are potentially dangerous.

Old March 3rd, 2014 #3
Lucian A.
Banned

Amusing, but the laws here don't limit me to utility knives and jail shivs.

Serious recommendations, please.

Old March 3rd, 2014 #4
keifer

Does it have to be folding?
Many high end brands made-in-america have economy models, but quite often the economy models are contracted out and made in china. That's why you can get a Kershaw for thirty bucks. If you want something easy to sharpen, or sharpen friendly, go with 1095 carbon steel. Mora Knives, made in Sweden is the best bang for the buck at 15 bucks and less, more if you want something special,...but they are fixed blade. They come in 1095 and stainless. It is not easy finding high carbon steel folding blades. If you find one, please let me know.
Why do you need serrated. Most cutting chores are done on the blade right by the handle, serrated gets in the way.
Otherwise, Buck made-in-america is a knife that is dependable.
Kershaw Skyline gets a lot of respect.
Here is a video, but sorry I am unable to view videos at the moment so therefore I cannot account for the content, but my guess it is a favorable review.

Old March 3rd, 2014 #5
EDLIE Stampton
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucian A. View Post
Amusing, but the laws here don't limit me to utility knives and jail shivs.

Serious recommendations, please.
The best ever all around knife is still the Bowie.
This will let you say the immortal words.
Thats not a knife.This is a knife
Shit for rabbits though.

Old March 3rd, 2014 #6
313Chris

Check the Smith & Wesson website. They sell a lot of tactical-style knives for under $60.

Old March 3rd, 2014 #7
Lucian A.
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by keifer View Post
Does it have to be folding?
Yes. I don't want a weapon.

Quote:
Why do you need serrated. Most cutting chores are done on the blade right by the handle, serrated gets in the way.
Versatility, I think. My bread knife is serrated, I tend to rely on it for daily tasks because it cuts best without ever dulling, but it's a poor whittler, ergo the need for a smooth edge. I hope that makes sense.

Quote:
Otherwise, Buck made-in-america is a knife that is dependable.
Kershaw Skyline gets a lot of respect.
I'll check them out.
What do you think of Cold Steel? http://www.britishblades.com/forums/...d-UK-legal-EDC

I have some experience with metalworking. That custom folder looks like an option.

Last edited by Lucian A.; March 3rd, 2014 at 09:37 PM.

Old March 3rd, 2014 #8
keifer

I have some experience with metalwork. That custom folder looks like an option.[/QUOTE]

The handle might be a little thin depending on you and your application. If this knife is going to be labor intensive then a thin handle may not be the best because it is difficult to get a solid grip. In contrast, small detail woodworking knives will often have oversized handles for more control. If you look at the photo in the link of the guy holding the knife in hand, his knuckles are bent about as far as they can be bent like gripping a pencil. Define your objective and let your objective define your gear.
My only experience with Coldsteel is my tomahawk. It easy to sharpen, but does not hold the edge too well.

Old March 3rd, 2014 #9
Lucian A.
Banned

Nothing intensive, just civilised stuff like opening boxes, cutting out clippings, or whittling -- the things most of us do most of the time.

Old March 4th, 2014 #10
EDLIE Stampton
Banned

Quote:
Nothing intensive, just civilised stuff like opening boxes, cutting out clippings, or whittling -- the things most of us do most of the time.
Stanley original it is then.

Old March 4th, 2014 #11
Squarehead Chris

It seems to me that this person has asked for some advice about knives from people here who might know more about them than he does.
Yet some sort of "kibitzer" (oy vey!) has attempted to turn this thread into some sort of personal "comedy" tour.

Beat it schlomo!

I have a Marine Corps K-Bar.
And every time I pull it out of it's scabbard, I say... Now that's a knife!

It's just great if you want to kill a few people, or chop down some small to medium trees, but not so good for basic camping/hunting utility purposes.

Last edited by Squarehead Chris; March 4th, 2014 at 04:04 AM.

Old March 4th, 2014 #12
Lucian A.
Banned

Imagining edlie peeling rats with a rusty box cutter in his squatter camp is kind of funny.

Old March 4th, 2014 #13
EDLIE Stampton
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squarehead Chris View Post
It seems to me that this person has asked for some advice about knives from people here who might know more about them than he does.
Yet some sort of "kibitzer" (oy vey!) has attempted to turn this thread into some sort of personal "comedy" tour.

Beat it schlomo!

I have a Marine Corps K-Bar.
And every time I pull it out of it's scabbard, I say... Now that's a knife!
Oh dear.
You cunt me off and then talk about your Bowie knife.
If you notice I highlighted the Bowie knife in a previous post.
Then you add a little motto that is almost the same as the one I posted with the Bowie.

Old March 4th, 2014 #14
keifer

[QUOTE=EDLIE Stampton;1662444]I dont know what you want to do with your knife but if its for gutting rabbits I would recommend a good traditional Stanley.

Old March 4th, 2014 #15
EDLIE Stampton
Banned

Quote:
Imagining edlie peeling rats with a rusty box cutter in his squatter camp is kind of funny.
The Stanley knife is great.
Its not as macho as some but then again some people like to use the best tool for the job.Others use their knife as a penis extension.
I gave you two brilliant options on the forum and another with an alternate use in private.
Click on your user CP on the left of the red bar.

If you like to eat rats I can see where you are coming from.
I far prefer rabbits that are in abundance where I live and the occasional duck.
I would go with rat when all the dogs and cats are gone.
What will you do when the shit hits the fan.
I cant recommend a good tin opener if you have a reserve of tins but I could get you 30 rabbits in a night.
Kill it skin it wash it pan it and eat it.

Old March 4th, 2014 #16
EDLIE Stampton
Banned

[quote=keifer;1662638]
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDLIE Stampton View Post
I dont know what you want to do with your knife but if its for gutting rabbits I would recommend a good traditional Stanley.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDLIE Stampton View Post
All that extra effort skinning his rabbit.He will need the whole thing to replace his expended energy.
I use the knife to cut the head and feet off then peel the fur off in one easy go.I dont actually use it for removing the innards.
If you do you just make one stinking awful mess.
The guy in your vid should have waited half an hour for the parasites to desert the warm body also when it cools down the skin comes off easier.

Old March 4th, 2014 #17
keifer

All that extra effort skinning his rabbit.He will need the whole thing to replace his expended energy.

You call that minimal effort a definitive waste of calories?
When you are talking about conservation of resources, did you miss the part about conserving the edge of a blade, all things considered in shtf.

After skinning and quartering is done on all the rabbits, I go back through and remove the innards. Guts have the potential to be the most important part of the rabbit as they are used as bait for bigger animals. They are also important indicator as to what you are about to eat. The liver is very mild in taste. If I don't get the liver, then I will hear about it from my wife. Fat is also a good sign of a healthy animal.
I skin for fur, so I take my time, particularly around the face. My $20 pocket Buck does just as well as anything else I have that is more expensive.

Old March 4th, 2014 #18
Hugh
Holorep survivor

Different tasks require different tools.
Depends if its heavy duty use or not.
If its heavy use, use the same tools you see professionals, tradesmen doing that activity use

If not, then try one or both of these.
The key is not to carry something likely to get you arrested.

http://www.victorinox.com

http://www.leatherman.com

Last edited by Hugh; March 4th, 2014 at 12:39 PM.

Old March 4th, 2014 #19
Lucian A.
Banned

Quote:
The Stanley knife is great.Its not as macho as some but then again some people like to use the best tool for the job.
It's a matter of prudence, not ego. I want a knife I can carry and use in public without getting tasered and arrested for 'terrorism'. Also from the standpoint of personal taste I simply would not get any satisfaction from carrying a box cutter.

On second thought, a quality knife shouldn't cost a lot. After reading different forums the popular opinion is pretty consistent regarding budget folders. I've narrowed it down to three options which should all be good and cheap.

1. The Cold Steel Kudu

2. The Buck 379

3. The Opinel #6

Opinions welcome.

Old March 7th, 2014 #20
Fred Streed
Holy Order of Cosmonauts

I carry, and like the Case #079 (63032 CV) in carbon steel. I usually carry a Swiss Army Tinker along with it because it has some other handy tools built in. But for a small, useful, non-attention-getting pocket knife the Case works well. American made.

http://www.wrcase.com/sidesearch/ind...&Submit=Search

Thread