Vanguard News Network
VNN Media
VNN Digital Library
VNN Reader Mail
VNN Broadcasts

Old September 4th, 2011 #41
Stronza

Owners of gourmet type restaurants pay the farmer $5-$6/lb for heirloom tomatoes. By the time it's on the customer's plate I can't imagine what they're "worth".

Old September 5th, 2011 #42
Alex Linder
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonard Rouse View Post
Holy Jeboo! Just pay for the fucking tomatoes you cheap, ornery bitch! You're like one of those 'Norwegian bachelor farmers' Garrison Keillor is always going on about.

I can't help it. My brain has a setting that says any fruit or vegetable should cost .25 max. Any more than that, I feel I'm getting ripped off. Honest to god, I bought several large onions and they're more than a dollar apiece. It almost makes me vomit to pay that much.

Old September 5th, 2011 #43
Alex Linder
Administrator

I like garlic cloves, they're cheap. Peppers are pretty cheap. Asapargus is disgustingly expensive, which is sad, it's quite tasty. Carrots are cheap, but when you buy them...you just have a bag of carrots. Who could get excited about that? Same with celery. A real munchdick vegetable, not respectable by any means. Cauliflower and broccoli are great, but again, too friggin' expensive. $1 a head? Ok. $3 a head? No thanks.

Old September 5th, 2011 #44
Donnie in Ohio
Switching to glide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Linder View Post
I can't help it. My brain has a setting that says any fruit or vegetable should cost .25 max. Any more than that, I feel I'm getting ripped off.
Remind me to never put you in charge of produce pricing.

Old September 5th, 2011 #45
Vijay Coomar
TNT NT-YT

there is a local farmer here who comes from his village to our town to sell us fresh vegetables. we just bought 1kg tomatoes from him for 20 rupees.

1 dollar = 45 rupees.

Join a gym. Get in shape. If women still hate you, well then that can't be changed, but as much as they hate you, they will still want to lay you. -Keifer

Old September 5th, 2011 #46
Alex Linder
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vijay Coomar View Post
there is a local farmer here who comes from his village to our town to sell us fresh vegetables. we just bought 1kg tomatoes from him for 20 rupees.

1 dollar = 45 rupees.
You dotheads are living the high life.

Old September 5th, 2011 #47
varg

Mutant tomatoes that were grown in a sewage line that runs into the Ganges.

Old September 5th, 2011 #48
ray bateson
baппed

Great news, my dandelion crop was a success! And what a haul. Look at that. See those pale yellows? Absolutely first-class. I nominate my harvest to dress the front page of Arctic Gardener Annual.

Who says you need sun.

Last edited by ray bateson; September 9th, 2011 at 08:12 AM.

Old September 5th, 2011 #49
Vijay Coomar
TNT NT-YT

Quote:
Originally Posted by varg View Post
Mutant tomatoes that were grown in a sewage line that runs into the Ganges.

YT must be force fed mutant tomatoes raised on Ganges water so YT can get some balls and turn into a killing machine that kills shitskins.

Join a gym. Get in shape. If women still hate you, well then that can't be changed, but as much as they hate you, they will still want to lay you. -Keifer

Old September 5th, 2011 #50
Leonard Rouse
Celebrating My Diversity

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray bateson View Post
Great news, my dandelion crop was a success! And what a haul. Look at that. See those pale yellows? Absolutely first-class. I nominate my harvest to dress the front page of Arctic Gardener Annual.

Who says you need sun.
Ray getting his summer crop to market:

Old September 6th, 2011 #51
ThomasStuart1441

At this point, most folks in the Northern Hemisphere should be cleaning up their gardens for Fall/winter, planting compost/cover crops to enrich and hold the soil etcetera. I'm personally planning to cut down my berry canes and finish some raised-beds I started building this year Some preparation now will improve yields next year. Whatare others thinking of doing?

Old September 6th, 2011 #52
Tremley

I had a good year with my 8 tomatoe plants with about 10 big tomatoes off each. Towards the end the tomatoes were cracking though. I was told this might be b/c of too much watering?? My two cucumber plants did real well too. I also tried to grow hot cherry peppers this year. But my two plants only grew one cherry pepper a piece. Is this normal? I also grew 1 plant of squash,some radishes and scallions in my 10' X 5" garden. Here is a good canning recipes site that I made stewed tomatoes, tomatoe sauce, and pikled cucumbers. and i'm going to try to make and can pickle relish out of my green tomatoes that I have left

http://canning-recipes.com/

Old September 6th, 2011 #53
Susan

Well, being the experienced gardener I am, here's what I'm doing...

No, seriously, I'm not even remotely done with my tomatoes this year. I still have three large tomato plants full of tomatoes, some almost ripe, and lots of still tiny little things that will be ready about the middle of October, probably.

After I left here last week, I called the county extension agent for advice on my tomatoes. But before I called him, I pinched off most of the yellow flowers on one of my tomato plants as Stronza suggested.

Big mistake. My bad. I should have spoken to the local guy first. He said my tomatoes were probably not ripening yet due to nighttime high temps. So, I did not destroy any more new flowers.

And, miraculously, the temps moderated a bit in the last few days (now it's really cool here), and the tomatoes began to turn red overnight. So, instead of having two hundred tomatoes in the next two months, I'll only have about a hundred or so. Oh well...

It's my own fault. I should have checked with the local man first. We don't really get a frost down here until well into November, sometimes December. Our coldest temps are always after Jan. 1st.

I heard on WSB the other day, though, from the very dependable weather guy, that this year we will be having an el nino winter, as opposed to last year's la nina winter. So, instead of a wetter and colder winter, we'll be having a drier and warmer than normal winter.

After last winter, I really don't mind having a normal to warmer winter, but we could use more rain for sure. It's been a dry summer down here. We just had some pretty rough weather roll through last night, and the northwest part of the metro Atlanta area got a good bit of damage from tornadoes.

Nothing much where I live though but a slight steady rain and nice cooler temps with dry air. Ahhhhhhhhhh... The humidity gets real old down here real fast.

But I am going to do at least one or two raised beds this Fall, and plant some lettuce and maybe broccoli and brussel sprouts when the tomatoes are gone.

I have to do this as my budget will allow, as I went to Home Depot and found out that the lumber will cost me about $80.00 per raised bed. Then, I have to get the dirt, etc. and the seeds. But, I 'm really enjoying this newfound interest of mine which gives me healthy, safe food.

I went to a free local Health Fair a week ago and had my glucose checked and it was a little high. Bummer. So, now I have to be constantly aware of how much sugar I am getting all day long, and I will have to cut back on some things I am used to eating.

Veggies, green leafy lettuce, some fruits, grains, beans, rice, pasta, tofu, will make up most of my diet from now on. At least it's healthy...and tasty. But I will miss some things.

Old September 6th, 2011 #54
Leonard Rouse
Celebrating My Diversity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan View Post
I heard on WSB the other day, though, from the very dependable weather guy. . .
The Mellish Meter

Old September 8th, 2011 #55
Susan

Yep, the Mellish Meter. The most dependable, consistently correct weather forecaster I've ever heard.

Old September 28th, 2011 #56
Susan

Well, here it is almost October, and I still have three huge tomato plants in my driveway that are full of all different size green tomatoes. I called the County Extension Office the other day just to make sure that my tomatoes were still okay since they have been just hanging there for weeks, getting bigger and bigger. I have picked some as they have ripened, but for some reason, many of them are taking forever to ripen.

I was told that my tomatoes were fine, that if it begins to get colder at night and a freeze is near, that I can always pick them and let them ripen on the windowsill. I don't think I have that much room on my windowsills! ha

I must have thirty to forty tomatoes on each plant, with another fifty to seventy teensy ones just starting out.

Anyway, I just bought some fall veggies at Walmart and I'm planting broccoli, brussel sprouts, cabbage, and lettuce in big pots in my driveway. I'll have to build my raised beds over the winter to do my spring planting for next year. Next year I'm going to have at least two raised beds of tomatoes so I can sell them and make some money.

I need to start purchasing firewood for the winter to burn in my fireplace, and I can't buy everything I want.

Old September 28th, 2011 #57
Marse Supial
Creepy-Ass Cracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray bateson View Post

Who says you need sun.
Ray, what does one do with dandelions? Down here they're considered weeds.

Old September 28th, 2011 #58
Elizabeth Fragale

Quote:
Originally Posted by General_Lee View Post
Ray, what does one do with dandelions? Down here they're considered weeds.
They make a great wine.

Old September 28th, 2011 #59
Susan

Default Dandelion Wine

Here you go General Lee: a recipe for dandelion wine:

http://www.texascooking.com/recipes/dandelionwine.htm

You ever made any Ray?

Old September 28th, 2011 #60
Susan

You beat me to the punch Elizabeth.

You ever had any?

Thread