VNN Media
VNN Digital Library
VNN Reader Mail
VNN Broadcasts

Old October 4th, 2012 #1
Donnie in Ohio
Switching to glide

Default Coffee

Go Office Space on your current coffee maker and get yourself a Keurig brewer.

I received one as a present last month and it has turned me into a coffee drinker.

Old October 4th, 2012 #2
Leonard Rouse
Celebrating My Diversity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie in Ohio View Post

I received one as a present last month and it has turned me into a coffee drinker.
That's what everyone says. That good, eh?

It looks like they have the HP model of making money off of the ink. . .or in this case the coffee. . .which appears to be available only from them to fit into the machine. Is that right?

One of the best scenes ever:

Old October 4th, 2012 #3
Donnie in Ohio
Switching to glide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonard Rouse View Post
Indeed. The wife and I are both hooked. It quietly brews in less than a minute. Our old machine sounded like a shuttle launch.

Quote:
It looks like they have the HP model of making money off of the ink. . .or in this case the coffee. . .which appears to be available only from them to fit into the machine. Is that right?
Yeah. "K-cups". Single servings of 200 different brands/types of coffee. Tea & hot chocolate as well. I always just assumed coffee was coffee (which is odd considering I'm a fairly serious beer critic) but I have found such is not the case.

Had a cup of Green Mountain Coffee's Sumatran Reserve Extra Bold this morning.

I don't know much about Sumatra, but I'm willing to lead a force to acquire their coffee beans.

Old October 4th, 2012 #4
Mike in Denver
Enkidu

I had one, but way too early. I can't even remember, maybe 10 years ago, just after they came out. I gave it away.

The problem was the pods. Off and on back then they were nearly impossible to find. I'd go to three supermarkets and all I could find were flavored pods. I really hate flavored coffee. I want extremely strong black coffee - no sweetener, no dairy, no flavor other than coffee. I do occasionally at home put a half teaspoon of organic, unsweetened cocoa in a cup, maybe every third cup, but even smelling sweet flavored coffee is unpleasant.

I'm guessing the pods are easier to find now.

Mike

Old October 4th, 2012 #5
Donnie in Ohio
Switching to glide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike in Denver View Post
I had one, but way too early. I can't even remember, maybe 10 years ago, just after they came out. I gave it away.

The problem was the pods. Off and on back then they were nearly impossible to find. I'd go to three supermarkets and all I could find were flavored pods. I really hate flavored coffee. I want extremely strong black coffee - no sweetener, no dairy, no flavor other than coffee. I do occasionally at home put a half teaspoon of organic, unsweetened cocoa in a cup, maybe every third cup, but even smelling sweet flavored coffee is unpleasant.

I'm guessing the pods are easier to find now.
I like my coffee straight as well. Yeah, the K-cups are everywhere now, at least locally, and metropolitan we decidedly ain't.

The selection available is pretty impressive. Reminds me of the craft beer isle.

Old October 4th, 2012 #6
Bruno
Banned

Quote:

One of the best scenes ever:

office space printer beatdown (and family guy version) - YouTube
Maybe that printer just needed that software from Russia that sets the counter back to 0. The one that was talked about in the video the lightbulb planned obsolescence.
EPSON COUNTER RESET PROGAMS
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/17...-reset-progams

About coffee I like mine with either nothing in it or just honey. When you put cream in coffee it coats the best antioxidants and they don't get absorbed.

Old October 4th, 2012 #7
Roy Wagahuski
professional critter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie in Ohio

You amateurs are all the same, impressed by speed and shiny parts rather than time-honored performance and reliability!

But let me tell you, after you've tasted all the rest....

...you WILL return to the best. (1)

References

(1) Roy Wagahuski, professional caffeine addict

Old October 4th, 2012 #8
Marse Supial
Creepy-Ass Cracker

Coffee just ain't coffee unless it's got some chickory in it.

As for the coffee maker, all I care about is that it keeps it hot and has an 'auto on' feature so it's ready when I wake up.

Old October 5th, 2012 #9
Donnie in Ohio
Switching to glide

Quote:
Originally Posted by General_Lee View Post
Coffee just ain't coffee unless it's got some chickory in it.
Never had chicory, guess I should try it. I remember my grandmother used it. I'll have to check to see if they offer any blends with chicory. There are a ton of them, so it's possible.

I brewed a cup of Tully's Breakfast Blend this morning. It's 100% Arabica beans. I don't know what that means, but I like the sound of it.

Quote:
As for the coffee maker, all I care about is that it keeps it hot and has an 'auto on' feature so it's ready when I wake up.
Oh yeah, it has all that. Brews bunny-boiling hot in less than 60 seconds. You can also adjust the brewing temperature up or down as well, which I thought was a nice feature, since my wife likes her coffee roughly the temperature of plasma. No mess either. Just throw away the used K-cup.

So what can I do to get you into one of these brewers today, Bob?

Old October 5th, 2012 #10
Marse Supial
Creepy-Ass Cracker

This is my favorite:

http://www.communitycoffee.com/produ...ee-and-Chicory

To make a cafe au lait, make a pot of chicory blend coffee at twice the strength you normally make coffee. Then fill your cup half way with hot milk and the other half with coffee.

Good stuff.

Old October 5th, 2012 #11
Mark Faust
Broadcaster

I quit a 20 year coffee addiction this year..... Now I don't want a sip of that burnt, unhealthy, black sludge...... I have switched to tea.

Old October 5th, 2012 #12
Roy Wagahuski
professional critter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie in Ohio
just throw away the used K-cup.
Whoa, not so fast. You can dump the grinds in the Mr. Coffee for a powerful cup later.

Old October 5th, 2012 #13
Donnie in Ohio
Switching to glide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Faust View Post
I quit a 20 year coffee addiction this year..... Now I don't want a sip of that burnt, unhealthy, black sludge...... I have switched to tea.
Mr. Buzzkill? Your table is ready.

Old October 5th, 2012 #14
Donnie in Ohio
Switching to glide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy Wagahuski View Post
Whoa, not so fast. You can dump the grinds in the Mr. Coffee for a powerful cup later.
One word. Compost.

Old October 5th, 2012 #15
Leonard Rouse
Celebrating My Diversity

I took a stroll down the coffee aisle today because of this thread.

I had seen online that the k-cup patent had expired a few months ago. I see there is already a generic available: San Francisco Bay something. $6.99 vs $9.99 for the Green Mountain. No idea of the quality.

Old October 6th, 2012 #16
Donnie in Ohio
Switching to glide

Quote:
I took a stroll down the coffee aisle today because of this thread.

I had seen online that the k-cup patent had expired a few months ago. I see there is already a generic available: San Francisco Bay something. $6.99 vs $9.99 for the Green Mountain. No idea of the quality.
Speaking of Green Mountain Coffee, I'm having a cup of their Colombian Fair Trade Select. I'm not kidding. That's what it's called. I'm guessing they're neo-hippies.

I can taste the fairness.

Old October 6th, 2012 #17
Sebastian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie in Ohio View Post
Speaking of Green Mountain Coffee, I'm having a cup of their Colombian Fair Trade Select. I'm not kidding. That's what it's called. I'm guessing they're neo-hippies.

I can taste the fairness.

Does it taste like social responsibility and Mother Nature?

Old October 14th, 2012 #18
Donnie in Ohio
Switching to glide

Made a K-cup of hot chocolate this morning. And yeah niggers, its got marshmallows. That's how I roll.

Speaking of marshmallows, has anyone seen the square, flat ones? S'mores ready. Brilliant.

Old October 14th, 2012 #19
Roy Wagahuski
professional critter

Taste the rainbow. Or something.

Old October 14th, 2012 #20
confederate

Quote:
Originally Posted by General_Lee View Post
This is my favorite:

http://www.communitycoffee.com/produ...ee-and-Chicory

To make a cafe au lait, make a pot of chicory blend coffee at twice the strength you normally make coffee. Then fill your cup half way with hot milk and the other half with coffee.

Good stuff.
genral, you forgot the beignets and powdered sugar.

Dr. William Pierce

Tags
coffee, keurig brewer

Thread