Vanguard News Network
VNN Media
VNN Digital Library
VNN Reader Mail
VNN Broadcasts

Old August 17th, 2008 #41
yankee jane
Mene, Mene, Tekel Upharsin

I think part of the concept in this juicing thing is that in the liquid form your body can assimilate certain elements in the fruit or vegetable not only faster but more competely. You certainly do give up a large part of the other elements available, like the fiber. If you've ever done any juicing, you know what a tremendous amout of waste pulp it produces in many cases. Some of those juicing books will provide recipes to make use of some of that pulp in baking (who has time for all this??). I don't think the juicing thing is bad, but you should also try to eat whole food as well.

Oh yeah ... wheatgrass juice! Anybody tried that straight out of a wheatgrass juicer?? Eeeeeeeggghhhhh..... kind of like drinking concentrated chlorophyll or something

Last edited by yankee jane; August 17th, 2008 at 09:40 PM.

Old August 17th, 2008 #42
Steve B
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Signe View Post
If it is merely mixing different fruits, what's the point? Just eat them normally. I juice regularly, but it is to make up for those dark leafy greens and other veggies I need for good nutrition. I normally drink a mixture of wheat grass, barley grass, spinach, broccoli, brussel sprouts, asparagus, and then I add pineapple and mango for the taste.
Yeech! Why don't you just make a tossed salad out of the stuff, add a dash of oil and vinegar and enjoy. Then eat the pineapple and mango as a side dish.

For me the taste, flavor and simple enjoyment of eating is as important as the health benefits.

Old August 17th, 2008 #43
odin
Nuthin' But Luv, Baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Robert View Post

April,

in all seriousness,

we have a Champion Juicer in our home.

We juice on occasion for the kids and for ourselves.

Which is better for the kids,

frozen concentrated orange juice or fresh orange juice?

Also, fresh cabbage juice is medicine for a stomach ulcer.

Garlic juice, carrot-beet juice, and apple juice are great,

especially when you have no teeth.

The juicer is a tool that can be used effectively

by those who have a need for it.

Push the hype aside and use it like you would any other tool.

My personal favorite is juicing the whole pine-apple, skin and all.

It's a rich frothy, orange-Julius type of juice,

that beats canned pine-apple juice by miles.

The nice thing about juicing citrus in a juicer

is that you can juice most of the white pulp.

This is where all of the nutritious vitamins are.

It gives the juice that creamy, frothy, orange julius consistancy

that just can't be beat.
Jeez, I was halfway through this before I realized it wasn't a poem. I think it's bedtime.

Old August 17th, 2008 #44
kevinlanning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bardamu View Post
It is a mistake to think just because something is natural that it's overuse isn't harmful. Cane sugar is about as natural as fruit juice or white rice but don't think it can't be harmful. A fruit juice fast for a week is probably very good for you, provided you are not diabetic, pre-diabetic, or hypoglycemic, which is almost like saying provided you are young. Weird blood sugar conditions, or pancreas dysfunction, are very common nowadays with older people and even younger people. Watch out for sugar, which includes the super-sugar alcohol; or don't. It's your health.
My contention was that white sugar is a highly processed substance that is very harmful for a variety of reasons including steep blood sugar elevation over a short period of time among others whereas fructose exists in a fruit with other nutrients including fiber AND proteins that contribute to its effect on the human body. White table sugar is a pure substance created by a manufacturing process and contributes in most cases nothing but EXCESS energy which is then converted into the cellulite dripping from the masses of overweight Americans. Fruit contains fructose AND vitamins, minerals, proteins, and fiber. White sugar contributes none of that.

Anything is harmful when it is overused. Even water. White sugar is harmful whenever it is used.

Old August 17th, 2008 #45
kevinlanning

Quote:
Originally Posted by odin View Post
And what does Dr. Mercola actually say about juicing?

and
And if you read the articles at http://www.doctoryourself.com/juicefast.html you would have seen that the exact opposite is offered as advice. Its called both sides of the story and is necessary for a well rounded opinion on the subject.

Old August 18th, 2008 #46
odin
Nuthin' But Luv, Baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinlanning View Post
And if you read the articles at http://www.doctoryourself.com/juicefast.html you would have seen that the exact opposite is offered as advice. Its called both sides of the story and is necessary for a well rounded opinion on the subject.
I've studied both sides in-depth, thank you, and made my decisions accordingly. Others can choose as they see fit.

Old August 18th, 2008 #47
Signe
Holy Polaris!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve B View Post
Yeech! Why don't you just make a tossed salad out of the stuff, add a dash of oil and vinegar and enjoy. Then eat the pineapple and mango as a side dish.
There are financial aspects. It's not always easy to keep yourself supplied with the vast array of different veggies and fruits you need to be healthy. Juice simply lasts longer and I don't have to worry about veggies going bad. It's part of the convenience side of juicing. If I had my own garden, like April does, I would find juicing somewhat odd.

Quote:
For me the taste, flavor and simple enjoyment of eating is as important as the health benefits.
Of course...

Old August 18th, 2008 #48
Signe
Holy Polaris!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankee jane View Post

Oh yeah ... wheatgrass juice! Anybody tried that straight out of a wheatgrass juicer?? Eeeeeeeggghhhhh..... kind of like drinking concentrated chlorophyll or something
Pfft. I think it's good.

Thread