Vanguard News Network
Pieville
VNN Media
VNN Digital Library
VNN Broadcasts

Old February 15th, 2011 #1
hengest
Banned

Default How did American Indians aquire guns and ammunition?

I've been thinking about the "Indian wars" of the latter part of the 19th century and wondering how the injuns aquired the guns (and most importantly...the ammunition) in order to have put up such a fight. And how did they pay for it all?

Old February 15th, 2011 #2
Owain Gwynedd

Location: Conquest, War, Famine, and Death White Horse, Red Horse, Black Horse and Pale Horse Apocalypse

That and traders and they aquired weapons and ammunition from raids...

Old February 15th, 2011 #3
Hudson
Banned

Location: Hassling shopkeeps along the information superhighway

I thought he was talking about the revolutionary war, but he is talking about the late 1800s.

Old February 15th, 2011 #4
AussieWN
Banned

The redskins no doubt got their guns and ammo through trading with fur traders as well as raids.

Old February 15th, 2011 #5
Owain Gwynedd

Location: Conquest, War, Famine, and Death White Horse, Red Horse, Black Horse and Pale Horse Apocalypse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson View Post
I thought he was talking about the revolutionary war, but he is talking about the late 1800s.
Same scenario, the English did supply them weapons, so did the Spanish, they were still butt hurt over the Revolutionary War and the Spanish American war...

Old February 16th, 2011 #6
Thomas de Aynesworth
Banned

Coureur de Bois did a lot of trading with the Amerinds in Canada, firearms and ammunition were highly sought by them.

Old February 16th, 2011 #7
MikeTodd
Pussy Bünd "Commander"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson View Post
By the late 1800s Indians acquired firearms the same way everybody else did either by purchase at the local hardware store or mail-order from the Montgomery-Ward catalog.

Old February 16th, 2011 #8
hengest
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeTodd View Post
By the late 1800s Indians acquired firearms the same way everybody else did either by purchase at the local hardware store or mail-order from the Montgomery-Ward catalog.
If that is true, then why were they ALLOWED to do so, if there was a major conflict going on between Whites and Indians? Wouldn't supplying the enemy, be tantemount to treason?

Old February 16th, 2011 #9
Thomas de Aynesworth
Banned

Two things, Hengest. 1. Amerindians were receiving firearms since before the US was a country, and 2. Other world players at the time could have been supplying firearms to the Amerinds to undermine US success.

Old February 16th, 2011 #10
MikeTodd
Pussy Bünd "Commander"

Quote:
Originally Posted by hengest View Post
If that is true, then why were they ALLOWED to do so, if there was a major conflict going on between Whites and Indians? Wouldn't supplying the enemy, be tantemount to treason?
First of all you must understand that there never was any sort of large over-arching major conflict involving all Whites against all Indians at every time and place in America in the years between the Civil War and WWI.

These affairs were generally regional or localized involving a specific tribe or tribes or sometimes even just a particular tribal faction and the goal as often as not would be to herd them onto reservations.

Also the quality of American was much different then, he didn't ask govts. permission to be ALLOWED to do anything, unlike the mother-may-I's of modern day he just went ahead and did it.

Guns were often traded or bartered for fur which was in high demand at the time as a necessity and not merely a luxury item as it is today.
Guns were often used as a form of toll by Indians for White settlers wishing to peacefully cross Indian lands.
Arming tribe A against tribe B was a time honored tactic.
Another thing to consider is the gun as a survival tool in this country. Almost everybody needed at least a varmint rifle and/or a shotgun, including Indians.
I don't think it was anybodies intention at the time to dis-allow to non-hostiles the means to feed and protect themselves or their families.

I hope that helped clear up some of your questions, hengest.
The relationship between Americans and the various Indian Nations inhabiting the USA of the 19th century was usually far more complex and dynamic than portrayed in movies and popular literature.

Last edited by MikeTodd; February 16th, 2011 at 08:18 PM.

Old February 17th, 2011 #11
hengest
Banned

Quote:
First of all you must understand that there never was any sort of large over-arching major conflict involving all Whites against all Indians at every time and place in America in the years between the Civil War and WWI.

These affairs were generally regional or localized involving a specific tribe or tribes or sometimes even just a particular tribal faction and the goal as often as not would be to herd them onto reservations.

Also the quality of American was much different then, he didn't ask govts. permission to be ALLOWED to do anything, unlike the mother-may-I's of modern day he just went ahead and did it.

Guns were often traded or bartered for fur which was in high demand at the time as a necessity and not merely a luxury item as it is today.
Guns were often used as a form of toll by Indians for White settlers wishing to peacefully cross Indian lands.
Another thing to consider is the gun as a survival tool in this country. Almost everybody needed at least a varmint rifle and/or a shotgun, including Indians.
I don't think it was anybodies intention at the time to dis-allow to non-hostiles the means to feed and protect themselves or their families.

The relationship between Americans and the various Indian Nations inhabiting the USA of the 19th century was usually far more complex and dynamic than portrayed in movies and popular literature.
Many thanks, Mike.

Old February 17th, 2011 #12
littlefieldjohn

Quote:

What time period are you trying to talk about here - between the Civil War and WWOne?
Furs were in "high demand at the time" ?? lmao

Thread