Vanguard News Network
VNN Media
VNN Digital Library
VNN Reader Mail
VNN Broadcasts

Old April 6th, 2013 #1
Kelley

Default Ruger 10/22 Carbine

I just got one of these... it is a cute little thing.

Old April 6th, 2013 #2
Mr A.Anderson
Banned

Love mine. If you can find .22lr ammo at a decent price (under $50 a box of 500) right now, buy it. If I can even find it on the shelves, it costs between $75-$95.

I recently bought a Butler Creek 25 round magazine for mine (it has the steel feeding lips). I searched for about 3 months for one, and came across a little hole in the wall shop locally that has a few for about $50/.

Old April 6th, 2013 #3
Wayne Naileux

I've had mine since the mid 60's and it hasn't done anything wrong so far. Amazingly sturdy piece of equipment.

Old June 27th, 2013 #4
S.-O.

with the exception of all the add-ons I prefer the marlin model 60. Have had mine since i was 14 with zero problems. I was 14 a long, long time ago so that speaks to the weapon's durability. i only wish there were more tactical parts available if for no other reason than to make it look cool. I have always considered the .22lr the most reliable and dependable weapon that is (or was) readily available to the civilian market and a zillion dead rabbits would agree. ANYONE who says a .22 isn't a real weapon is an idiot ! Enjoy your new rifle and much luck to you in finding reasonably priced ammo !

Old June 27th, 2013 #5
keifer

My Marlin 60 has piss poor iron sites, and the cycle is temperamental to jamming with Federal and Remington ammo. About 250 rounds and it starts acting up. The plus side is it will carry well in a pack while wielding the bird gun.

Old June 27th, 2013 #6
S.-O.

yeah mine hates federals as well but just about any other ammo it works amazingly well. It seems that just about any round nose bullet cycles well. I even made my own speed loaders for my pack out of copper tubing and can reload it in no time flat. (for a tube-fed that is) As I stated it is a VERY old rifle and things may have changed at the factory in 40+ years if their standards have dropped as much as other manufacturers have.

Old June 27th, 2013 #7
keifer

I have heard people using archery arrows as a tube cut to size as a type of loading magazine. My guess it would take larger diameter target arrows instead of hunting arrows that are smaller diameter.

Old June 28th, 2013 #8
notmenomore

I got a 10/22 a couple years ago, but I've had a model 60 for many years. Both of them are fine little rifles, although the factory triggers leave a lot to be desired.

I think I've seen an after-market "archangel" type stock for the model 60. It would style up the rifle quite a bit, but the shooting wouldn't change. I run a 4x scope on the model 60, and it easily holds about a 3/4 inch pattern at 25 yards. (Would probably do better, but that's my shooting) So far I've not done much on tricking out the 10/22. I've got a bigger scope for it, but haven't really worked out with that. If anything, a trigger upgrade should be next for the 10/22, but right now there's other priorities.

Ammo for both has been mainly CCI and Remington "yellow jacket" HP. Both do fine in both.

Old December 18th, 2013 #9
dirtymike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelley View Post
I just got one of these... it is a cute little thing.
The 10/22 is a durable little weapon accuracy is not bad it cycles the ammo well also. Stick with solid point name brand ammo ( solid points penetrate better) No need for a scope this is a short range weapon that's semi automatic best used in close. In a urban combat situation most fighting will be under 15 meters . The 22 cal ammo is cheap so get lots of it, The 10/22 is also short enough to put your thumb on the trigger lean out a tad and pop 3or 5 rounds around a corner to get the enemys head down before u take a peek look fast and don't expose your self you will only have like 3 seconds before Charlie can gain his composure . Happy hunting

Old December 20th, 2013 #10
Mr A.Anderson
Banned

This is twice now that you have said ".22lr ammunition is cheap, so get lots of it."

When was the last time you looked for .22lr ammunition?

Cheap my ass. It is expensive as hell, if you are even lucky enough to find it. It is about the most difficult caliber of ammunition to find post-Sandyhook.

Old December 20th, 2013 #11
dirtymike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr A.Anderson View Post
This is twice now that you have said ".22lr ammunition is cheap, so get lots of it."

When was the last time you looked for .22lr ammunition?

Cheap my ass. It is expensive as hell, if you are even lucky enough to find it. It is about the most difficult caliber of ammunition to find post-Sandyhook.
I don't live in a shit liberal area We hunt fish and pack heat .. Just left wallmart Less than $45 for 550 rounds Twuce as high as last year but still not too bad . Don't be confrontational

Old December 20th, 2013 #12
Mr A.Anderson
Banned

I don't live in a shit liberal area either. I've heard, and even commented, that Walmart gets shipments of ammo once a week. But even with their 3 box limit, if you don't get it when it arrives, it is gone by the afternoon.

I see the prices that Walmart has on their ammo......they aren't jacked up that much compared to pre-Sandyhook.......but their availability is shit.

The cheapest .22lr I've come across has been at Dicks Sporting Goods. $30 for 500 rounds, limit 3 boxes........if they ever have them......which they don't.

Go back to Walmart tomorrow and check for .22lr - I bet they don't have a damned one of them.

Then go back every day for the next month, and then tell us how easy they are to find.

Confrontational, hell. I don't like it when people suddenly appear and talk about shit they quite obviously don't have much of a clue about.

Old December 20th, 2013 #13
dirtymike

Quote:
I don't live in a shit liberal area either. I've heard, and even commented, that Walmart gets shipments of ammo once a week. But even with their 3 box limit, if you don't get it when it arrives, it is gone by the afternoon.

I see the prices that Walmart has on their ammo......they aren't jacked up that much compared to pre-Sandyhook.......but their availability is shit.

The cheapest .22lr I've come across has been at Dicks Sporting Goods. $30 for 500 rounds, limit 3 boxes........if they ever have them......which they don't.

Go back to Walmart tomorrow and check for .22lr - I bet they don't have a damned one of them.

Then go back every day for the next month, and then tell us how easy they are to find.

Confrontational, hell. I don't like it when people suddenly appear and talk about shit they quite obviously don't have much of a clue about.
I've been a member for a lot longer than you have and I do know what I am talking about . If you want to go there with me Fine Why would I goto wallmart tomorrow an check ? I bought 1500 rounds today , When you see them you buy them . That is unless you are some broke dick dog piece of shit with no money Ive seen em come and go here now run along ,in fact just save it and do something useful like make me a sandwich and bring me a beer Light on the mayo and toast the bread Now report me to admin LMAO Tell Alex I said hello

Old December 20th, 2013 #14
Mr A.Anderson
Banned

Wait, what? It went from.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtymike View Post
The 22 cal ammo is cheap
and
Quote:
22 cal bullits are dirt cheap
to........

Quote:
Twuce as high as last year
from.......

Quote:
22 cal bullits are dirt cheap stock up get solid points if you get hollow points that's ok rub feces into the hollow tips the infections will be epic
to....

Quote:
Stick with solid point name brand ammo ( solid points penetrate better).
from......

Quote:
22 cal bullits are dirt cheap stock up
and
Quote:
so get lots of it
to.......

Quote:
Just left wallmart Less than $45 for 550 rounds
and then.....

Quote:
Ive seen em come and go here
Quote:
When you see them you buy them

So, let me get this right.

They are cheap as dirt, except now when the price has at least doubled. Buy lots of them, except stores limit how many you can buy. Buy lots of them, but they come and go, so buy them when you see them. Buy solid points (I'm sorry, but anybody familiar with ammunition would describe them with their actual description round nose or RN or fall back on their <ahem> military nomenclature of Full Metal Jacket (FMJ) or at least jacketed) except when you buy hollow points because you can fill them with shit to cause all sorts of wonderful wounds/infections. I bought 1500 rounds of them today, even though they are sold in "550 round boxes".

Not only is your math full of shit, so are you. I'll make you a soup sandwich to eat, because that is the only sandwich that is ate up as much as you are.

Now move out and draw fire, private.

Old December 20th, 2013 #15
Simmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by keifer View Post
I have heard people using archery arrows as a tube cut to size as a type of loading magazine. My guess it would take larger diameter target arrows instead of hunting arrows that are smaller diameter.
Yep, I made about 5 of them and strapped them together with a round wooden block in between them on each side. One has to use the target arrows because the diameter is bigger than the hunting arrows. Just cut one of the ends off and get a cap to put on the end.

Has arrived.
Your thumbs are Hill air e us.

Last edited by Simmon; December 20th, 2013 at 08:40 PM.

Old December 20th, 2013 #16
Simmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by keifer View Post
My Marlin 60 has piss poor iron sites, and the cycle is temperamental to jamming with Federal and Remington ammo. About 250 rounds and it starts acting up. The plus side is it will carry well in a pack while wielding the bird gun.
I had the same problem with mine when I first got it. The ejector pin (or spring if you will) was bent. Here is a good way to make sure it is in alignment.

Quote:
I keep a Penny and a Nickel on my bench and use them as quick tools to check suspicious wire positions. I use the Nickle is a high limit .075 gage and a new Penney as a low-limit .060 gage. So anything in-between has been a good position so far.

"Nickel high & Nickel wide" is a good way to remember.

Place a Nickel on top of the feed-throat. Flush top of wire to top of the Nickel.

Push down the Lifter and place the Nickel on the inside of the feed-throat holding it straight up. Flush face of Nickel to side of wire.

Basically it has to have the right spacing under the pin and has to be at the right angle, pointing slightly to the right.

Now my Marlin mod 60 will shoot any brand of 22lr. with no problems.

Has arrived.

Old December 20th, 2013 #17
Simmon

Quote:
Wait, what? It went from.....

and

to........

from.......

to....

from......

and

to.......

and then.....

So, let me get this right.

They are cheap as dirt, except now when the price has at least doubled. Buy lots of them, except stores limit how many you can buy. Buy lots of them, but they come and go, so buy them when you see them. Buy solid points (I'm sorry, but anybody familiar with ammunition would describe them with their actual description round nose or RN or fall back on their <ahem> military nomenclature of Full Metal Jacket (FMJ) or at least jacketed) except when you buy hollow points because you can fill them with shit to cause all sorts of wonderful wounds/infections. I bought 1500 rounds of them today, even though they are sold in "550 round boxes".

Not only is your math full of shit, so are you. I'll make you a soup sandwich to eat, because that is the only sandwich that is ate up as much as you are.

Now move out and draw fire, private.
Don't forget the military ball ammo, even though it doesn't apply to 22lr.

Has arrived.

Old December 20th, 2013 #18
Simmon

Quote:
Love mine. If you can find .22lr ammo at a decent price (under $50 a box of 500) right now, buy it. If I can even find it on the shelves, it costs between $75-$95.

I recently bought a Butler Creek 25 round magazine for mine (it has the steel feeding lips). I searched for about 3 months for one, and came across a little hole in the wall shop locally that has a few for about $50/.

Ruger makes a 25 round mag that can be taken apart and cleaned. They have the metal lips and correct angle for feeding. I have heard nothing bad about them, only good. Don't know how hard they are to find though.

Has arrived.

Old December 22nd, 2013 #19
Mr A.Anderson
Banned

Just run on out there and stock up on it!

Quote:
http://www.midwayusa.com/find?newcat...ensionid=10115

22 Long Rifle (122)

Out of Stock (188)
Showing 1 - 24 of 192 results

$62.99
Out of Stock, Backorder OK
Add to Cart

Remington Ammunition 22 Long Rifle 36 Grain Plated Lead Hollow Point Bucket of 1400
4.9Read 12 Reviews

$6.69 - $311.99
Out of Stock, Backorder OKSelect OptionsCCI Mini-Mag High Velocity Ammunition 22 Long Rifle 40 Grain Plated Lead Round Nose
4.9Read 81 Reviews

$6.99 - $325.99
Out of Stock, Backorder OKSelect OptionsCCI Mini-Mag High Velocity Ammunition 22 Long Rifle 36 Grain Plated Lead Hollow Point
4.9Read 50 Reviews

$6.49 - $579.99
Out of Stock, Backorder OKSelect OptionsNorma USA TAC-22 Ammunition 22 Long Rifle 40 Grain Lead Round Nose Subsonic

$19.99
Add to Cart

Federal Champion Fresh Fire Ammunition 22 Long Rifle 36 Grain Plated Lead Hollow Point Sealed Can of 325
3.1Read 9 Reviews

$3.79 - $21.99
Out of Stock, Backorder OKSelect OptionsRemington Ammunition 22 Long Rifle 36 Grain Plated Lead Hollow Point
3.3Read 146 Reviews

$104.99
Add to Cart

Fiocchi Shooting Dynamics Ammunition 22 Long Rifle 40 Grain Plated Lead Round Nose Ammunition Can of 1575
5.0Read 3 Reviews

$21.99
Add to Cart

Remington Thunderbolt Ammunition 22 Long Rifle 40 Grain Lead Round Nose Box of 500 (Bulk)
3.1Read 35 Reviews

$3.59 - $345.99
Out of Stock, Backorder OKSelect OptionsRemington Ammunition 22 Long Rifle Subsonic 38 Grain Lead Hollow Point
4.1Read 96 Reviews

$19.79 - $194.99
Out of Stock, No BackorderSelect OptionsFederal Champion Ammunition 22 Long Rifle 36 Grain Plated Lead Hollow Point
4.4Read 63 Reviews

$16.99 - $252.99
Out of Stock, Backorder OKSelect OptionsWinchester Ammunition 22 Long Rifle 36 Grain Plated Lead Hollow Point
3.6Read 76 Reviews

$10.99 - $387.99
Out of Stock, Backorder OKSelect OptionsWinchester Super-X Ammunition 22 Winchester Magnum Rimfire (WMR) 40 Grain Jacketed Hollow Point
4.9Read 27 Reviews

$14.99 - $148.99
Out of Stock, No BackorderSelect OptionsFederal AutoMatch Target Ammunition 22 Long Rifle 40 Grain Lead Round Nose
4.5Read 88 Reviews

$12.49
Out of Stock, No Backorder

Hornady Varmint Express Ammunition 17 Hornady Magnum Rimfire (HMR) 17 Grain V-Max Box of 50
4.9Read 52 Reviews

$2.89 - $26.99
Coming Soon Select OptionsFederal American Eagle Suppressor Ammunition 22 Long Rifle 45 Grain Copper Plated Lead Round Nose

$4.29 - $394.99
Out of Stock, No BackorderSelect OptionsAguila Super Maximum Ammunition 22 Long Rifle 30 Grain Hyper Velocity Plated Lead Hollow Point
4.0Read 71 Reviews

$5.99 - $58.99
Out of Stock, Backorder OKSelect OptionsCCI Velocitor Ammunition 22 Long Rifle 40 Grain Plated Lead Hollow Point
4.8Read 110 Reviews

$39.49
Coming Soon
Remington Golden Bullet Ammunition 22 Long Rifle 40 Grain High Velocity Round Nose Box of 500

$3.19 - $304.99
Out of Stock, No BackorderSelect OptionsAguila High Velocity Ammunition 22 Long Rifle 40 Grain Plated Lead Round Nose
4.7Read 43 Reviews

$49.99 - $94.99
Out of Stock, Backorder OKSelect OptionsWinchester M-22 Ammunition 22 Long Rifle 40 Grain Black Plated Lead Round Nose
3.8Read 16 Reviews

$3.69 - $354.99
Out of Stock, No BackorderSelect OptionsAguila SuperExtra Ammunition 22 Long Rifle Subsonic 38 Grain Lead Hollow Point
4.2Read 46 Reviews

$2.29 - $195.99
Out of Stock, No BackorderSelect OptionsCCI Blazer Ammunition 22 Long Rifle 40 Grain Lead Round Nose
4.4Read 99 Reviews

$3.49 - $334.99
Out of Stock, No BackorderSelect OptionsAguila High Velocity Ammunition 22 Long Rifle 38 Grain Plated Lead Hollow Point
4.8Read 29 Reviews

$3.99 - $374.99
Out of Stock, No BackorderSelect OptionsAguila Super Maximum Ammunition 22 Long Rifle 30 Grain Plated Lead Round Nose
4.3Read 37 Reviews

«‹1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8›»

Quote:
Search Results .22 LR (1)

To ensure all of our customers have fair access to inventories, this product has a quantity limit of 1 per order, per customer, per day.

http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/brows...3Bcat104691780
Quote:
Search results Rimfire

.22 LR (0) results found

http://www.gandermountain.com/Shooti...nition/Rimfire

Old December 22nd, 2013 #20
Mr A.Anderson
Banned

It's dirt cheap!

Quote:
500 federal gameshok 22lr 40gr copper plated solid
$55.00