VNN Broadcasts

Old September 18th, 2009 #1
Zenos

Default Praying mantis impales and eats humming bird

http://www.birdwatchersdigest.com/si...irdwireJul2005

Old September 18th, 2009 #2
Alex Linder
Administrator

Wow. Praying mantises are definitely one of the more interesting insects. Now is the time of year when you can find them around.

Old September 19th, 2009 #3
Dan Allan

Cool find. Those guys are much stronger than they look, to be able to hold that bird and eat it at the same time.

Old September 19th, 2009 #4
MarkP

It's quite good.

Shows the reality of the Natural world.

Old September 19th, 2009 #5
Dan_O

Have you ever been bitten by one?

It hurts.

Old September 19th, 2009 #6
MarkP

Did it swell ?

Was there any toxins ?

Old September 19th, 2009 #7
Dan_O

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkP View Post
Did it swell ?

Was there any toxins ?
One summer I worked at a nursery. I had to cut the grass and weeds around the terrace. Out of nowhere It felt like someone shot me right above the ankle with a nail gun. I looked down and there it was. About nine inches long. It took a little chunk out of my leg and swelled up so bad you couldn't even see my ankle. It gave me a cankle. It was almost like a really bad dragonfly bite. It stung pretty bad until I took some antihistamines and put an ice pack on it.

Old September 19th, 2009 #8
Mr Murray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_O View Post
One summer I worked at a nursery. I had to cut the grass and weeds around the terrace. Out of nowhere It felt like someone shot me right above the ankle with a nail gun. I looked down and there it was. About nine inches long. It took a little chunk out of my leg and swelled up so bad you couldn't even see my ankle. It gave me a cankle. It was almost like a really bad dragonfly bite. It stung pretty bad until I took some antihistamines and put an ice pack on it.
Did you stomp it to pieces?

Old September 19th, 2009 #9
Dan_O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Murray View Post
Did you stomp it to pieces?
No, but I kicked him and he flew away.

Old September 22nd, 2009 #10
N.B. Forrest

Incredible bugs, and damn creepy ones, too. One day I saw a mantis on the door jamb. It turned its head and steadily returned my stare, as if to say "If you were smaller, asshole....". I felt I was being observed by something with far greater intelligence than the average insect.

Old September 22nd, 2009 #11
Alex Linder
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by N.B. Forrest View Post
Incredible bugs, and damn creepy ones, too. One day I saw a mantis on the door jamb. It turned its head and steadily returned my stare, as if to say "If you were smaller, asshole....". I felt I was being observed by something with far greater intelligence than the average insect.
Yeah... indeed.

I've had one that I was holding loosely and it just turned and tried to bite the crap out of my hand. It was too small even to break the skin, but the mentality of these things is pure predator.

Old September 22nd, 2009 #12
Alex Linder
Administrator

I love these upside down stories. I remember this private herpetarium (which put on shows for public, like Ross Allen's in Florida) I visited in Germany, just west of the East Germany border. They would feed pinky mice to a tarantula.

Last edited by Alex Linder; September 23rd, 2009 at 01:02 AM.

Old September 22nd, 2009 #13
COTW
Overseer

I too find the insect world captivating.

When I was considerably younger I found a praying mantis that was about 3" long and placed it in an old fish aquarium. I had set up the tank with several leafy twigs as I knew it was an ambush predator and they helped it to conceal itself to the unsuspecting prey. From a nearby field I would catch small grasshoppers and place them in the tank to feed it. Invariably in the beginning it would easily catch them but before it could take its first bite they would kick themselves free. This happened numerous times until one time it caught one and immediately chewed the hind legs off once it was caught and it did so from then on. I was absolutely amazed that it learned a hunting behavior for grasshoppers and remembered from then on! After about a week I let it go.

A truly fascinating creature.

"The very aim and end of our institutions is just this: that we may think what we like and say what we think."

-Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.

Old September 23rd, 2009 #14
Alex Linder
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cracker oftheWhip View Post
I too find the insect world captivating.

When I was considerably younger I found a praying mantis that was about 3" long and placed it in an old fish aquarium. I had set up the tank with several leafy twigs as I knew it was an ambush predator and they helped it to conceal itself to the unsuspecting prey. From a nearby field I would catch small grasshoppers and place them in the tank to feed it. Invariably in the beginning it would easily catch them but before it could take its first bite they would kick themselves free. This happened numerous times until one time it caught one and immediately chewed the hind legs off once it was caught and it did so from then on. I was absolutely amazed that it learned a hunting behavior for grasshoppers and remembered from then on! After about a week I let it go.

A truly fascinating creature.
Good story.

Old September 23rd, 2009 #15
richyrichard
Banned

Thank God for DDT.

Last edited by richyrichard; September 23rd, 2009 at 01:29 AM.

Old September 23rd, 2009 #16
Gabry Ponte
Banned

Don't asian people remind you of insects?

Thread