Vanguard News Network
VNN Media
VNN Digital Library
VNN Reader Mail
VNN Broadcasts

Old March 14th, 2013 #1
Bev
drinking tea

Default Why does Sinn Fein want to ban gambling?

I've completely missed this story - what's it all about?

Quote:
Voting in plenary now. More carbon nonsense and taxes on way I'm afraid. Will let you know if Sinn Fein Marxist nuts get ban on gambling.

The IRA only killed one racehorse, Sinn Fein's gambling ban would get thousands put down by destroying racing industry.
Quote:
Because a Joint Resolution passed, the Nordic Green Left/Sinn Fein motion fell. So you can still have a legal flutter. Commonsense wins!
https://twitter.com/nickgriffinmep

Old March 14th, 2013 #2
Bev
drinking tea

(and I don't want to get into yet another argument about horse racing, just wondered if someone could throw some light on this?)

Old March 14th, 2013 #3
andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bev View Post
I've completely missed this story - what's it all about?

https://twitter.com/nickgriffinmep
I could not find the source either.I do know that SF want to impose the same policy your mates in the labour party had until Thatcher scrapped it which was a ten percent tax on every bet struck.It is the sort of thing (Banning legal gambling) that you wish was adopted in Ireland it would result in the immediate permanent disappearance of SF .It could be their criminal allies in PIRA might fancy running illegal gambling operations. With the internet no such ban is possible as the US,Canada and Australia found out in regard to online betting exchanges

Chase them into the swamps

Old March 14th, 2013 #4
Bev
drinking tea

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy View Post
I could not find the source either.I do know that SF want to impose the same policy your mates in the labour party had until Thatcher scrapped it which was a ten percent tax on every bet struck.It is the sort of thing (Banning legal gambling) that you wish was adopted in Ireland it would result in the immediate permanent disappearance of SF .It could be their criminal allies in PIRA might fancy running illegal gambling operations. With the internet no such ban is possible as the US,Canada and Australia found out in regard to online betting exchanges
Oh, ok. I can't make out from his quote if it's an animal rights thing or a green thing or what. I'll keep trying to find out what the crack is.

I was going to point out that there are millions of online gambling sites so it seemed a pointless effort anyway.

Old March 14th, 2013 #5
EDLIE Stampton
Banned

This tax story was from about a year ago.Its SF party policy.As horse racing is one of Irelands biggest industrys.It will never happen.If it does just pay the tax with your stake and your winnings are tax free.Im sure if the IRA run gambling dens they would be nice enough to let you off the tax.

Thread