Vanguard News Network
VNN Media
VNN Digital Library
VNN Reader Mail
VNN Broadcasts

Go Back   Vanguard News Network Forum > The Personal Solution: Living White > Health
Donate Register Multimedia Blogs Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Login

Thread Display Modes Share
Old April 13th, 2016 #1
NewsFeed
News Bot

Post Israeli health minister urges boycott of McDonald's (Oy! Junk food is only for the Goyim)

Addressing Israel Heart Society conference, Health Minister Yakov Litzman says, "There is no need to eat junk food. McDonald's is out • McDonald's Israel: Litzman's statements do not reflect reality. We are part of the solution, not the problem.

Health Minister Yakov Litzman (United Torah Judaism) called on Israelis on Wednesday to downsize their consumption of junk food and boycott McDonald's.

Addressing the Israel Heart Society's annual conference on Wednesday, Litzman said, "There is no need to eat junk food. McDonald's is out. Not in our country. There is no need to eat McDonald's."

Litzman urged educating children to not eat junk food and sweets and said the Health Ministry will focus on "prevention" medicine this year to curb disease.

"I know there's pressure and I know there are people who don't like it and big companies that don't like it," Litzman said. "I have a secret for you -- I don't have any primaries. I'm at the top of the [United Torah Judaism] list, there are no problems. I chose the Health Ministry because I thought it's a place where you can save people."

Israeli cuisine is generally healthy with its traditional ingredients similar to the Mediterranean diet but junk food is also popular.

Dr. Michael Glikson, president of the Israel Heart Society, said: "Although in recent years we've managed to reduce the mortality rate from heart disease, heart attacks and cardiac arrest still take tens of thousands of lives across the country every year, far more than the number of people killed in terrorist attacks and road accidents. Heart disease is often preventable with early detection. We hope the Health Ministry will help us increase awareness of the matter to save lives."

In response to Litzman, McDonald's Israel issued a statement, saying: "It's unfortunate that the health minister chose to express himself in such a populist way, which may get him headlines but does not reflect what is happening in the chain.

"McDonald's Israel carried out a complete health revolution a decade ago that has been lauded in the medical community: lowering the amount of fat in unprocessed meat by half, from 18% to 9%, removing trans fats from french fries, cutting two-thirds of the saturated oils in fried products, lowering sugar and sodium levels in all products and publicizing the ingredients of every item sold in the chain -- and it was the first Israeli chain to do so.

"If the Health Ministry was interested in nutritional science, it would realize that McDonald's Israel, after the tremendous health revolution it initiated, is part of the solution, not the problem. We hope that the operation of the chain on Shabbat is not what is behind Minister Litzman's irresponsible, unfounded and unscientific attack on McDonald's."

read full article at source: http://www.israelhayom.com/site/news...e.php?id=33045

Thread