Vanguard News Network
VNN Media
VNN Digital Library
VNN Reader Mail
VNN Broadcasts

Old August 4th, 2004 #1
Rahowa

Default Power training

When i originally got into lifting weights i followed a typical bodybuilding type routine, 4 days a week-4 exercise per bodypart with various rep ranges.
After the initial bulk/mass spurt, i trained hard and heavy but i got bored.
Following a routine thats written for a pro-steroidal bodybuilding is taxing for an average joe who works 10 hours a day, has a family etc...

So i reacessed my aims/goals of weight-training, i wanted a bit of muscle size (does'nt everyone) but my main aim was to be super-fit!
I wanted to develop power/strength/endurance all in one so heres a routine i use which i find great for my own personal goals.

Monday:
SQUATS - 1 set of 20 reps (take three deep breaths between each rep)
BENCH PRESS - 3 sets of 8 reps
DUMBELL PULLOVERS - 2 set of 10 reps
CLEAN AND PRESS - 3 sets of 8 reps
UPRIGHT ROW -2 sets of 10 reps
CLOSE-GRIP BENCH PRESS - 3 sets of 8 reps

Friday:
CHIN-UP'S - 3 sets of 5 reps!!!
POWER CLEANS - 2 sets of 8
RACK PULLS - 2 sets of 8
BARBELL CURLS -3 sets of 8 reps

The rest of the week i do lots of other training, punch-bag work, skipping, jogging etc.

Old August 5th, 2004 #2
IrishJay

That really is a good workout plan. Similar to what I do...

What shape are you in now? Give me specifics, because this workout is really impressive for us to follow and I applaud you for developing this.

But....I would add deads. I love those fucking things.

Old August 5th, 2004 #3
IrishJay

Here is what I would do with this workout....in fact I am going to try it now. LOL

Time for me to change it up a bit anyway and after my elbow is fully healed from my arm-wrestling idiocy I will start this up.

SQUATS - 1 set of 20 reps
BENCH PRESS - 3 sets of 6 reps
DUMBELL PULLOVERS - 2 set of 10 reps
CLEAN AND PRESS - 3 sets of 6 reps
CLOSE-GRIP BENCH PRESS - 3 sets of 6 reps

DEADLIFTS - 3 sets of 5 reps
SLDL - 2 sets of 6 reps
CHIN-UPS - 3 sets of 5 reps
POWER CLEANS - 2 sets of 6 reps
BARBELL CURLS -3 sets of 8 reps

I added deads, subtracted Rack pulls. Changed the reps on some of the exercises, because I prefer lower reps and higher weights because they work my muscles better.

I deleted rows because your shoulders are going to be getting a ton of workout from the other exercises, especially the cleans.

Added SLDL to work the hamstrings.

What do you think?

Old August 6th, 2004 #4
Rahowa

From training in this style i have a devolped a powerful/broad muscular body, it might not really be ideal for definition but thats not the aim (for me anyway!). I also like to use low-reps sometimes but i find that i get injuries that way! I can't Deadlift due to a previous injury, although i would advise many people looking to gain strength/mass to do'em.

I also like to have short-rest periods between sets, but thats more because i find it makes me work even harder.

Old August 6th, 2004 #5
IrishJay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahowa
From training in this style i have a devolped a powerful/broad muscular body, it might not really be ideal for definition but thats not the aim (for me anyway!). I also like to use low-reps sometimes but i find that i get injuries that way! I can't Deadlift due to a previous injury, although i would advise many people looking to gain strength/mass to do'em.

I also like to have short-rest periods between sets, but thats more because i find it makes me work even harder.
I agree. I'm into overall physical fitness and not being large as a house. I do bodyweight exercises and hit the bags during the week as well.

Definition isn't my goal, never was. I have a low bodyfat but I ain't gonna kill myself to look overly cut. I'd rather be good and look healthy than look like a striated freak.

Old August 8th, 2004 #6
Rahowa

I forgot to mention that i also incorparate some grip work after the second workout, either by gripping onto a chinning bar and hold for as long as i can or by holding two 20 k.g plates at my side with a pinch grip.

Old August 8th, 2004 #7
IrishJay

Get the Captains of Crush grippers....

Old August 28th, 2004 #8
heaven above

Hey do you guys do anearobics ? I like to swim or use the rowing machine. I do that to warm up before the weights.

Old August 29th, 2004 #9
Rahowa

Quote:
Originally Posted by heaven above
Hey do you guys do anearobics ? I like to swim or use the rowing machine. I do that to warm up before the weights.
When i train with weights i don't do any anerobic/cardio work at all, i just focus on weight lifting, but i do some ultra-light warm up sets. Doing cardio before weights may affect your strength/muscle gains.

I train with weights twice a week, the rest of the week i do punchbag/pad work, jogging, powerwalking.

Old August 29th, 2004 #10
IrishJay

I do cardio after weights.

I do 10 minutes of anaerobic interval training. That has been proven to be better for your cardiovascular health than 20 minutes of average intensity aerobics.

Old August 29th, 2004 #11
COTW
Overseer

COTW
Default To whoever has an answer.

I tried the weightlifting thing for a short time in my younger days but it bored me to tears. After about a year I quit but Iíve always had physically demanding jobs so Iíve kept relatively trim.

Recently I came across a set of weights in a customerís house that was half my weight. Out of curiosity I tried to curl it and did so with no problem, three times. What Iíve wondered is if that would be considered strong or is that a show of average strength?

"The very aim and end of our institutions is just this: that we may think what we like and say what we think."

-Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.

Old August 29th, 2004 #12
Steve B
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cracker oftheWhip
I tried the weightlifting thing for a short time in my younger days but it bored me to tears. After about a year I quit but Iíve always had physically demanding jobs so Iíve kept relatively trim.

Recently I came across a set of weights in a customerís house that was half my weight. Out of curiosity I tried to curl it and did so with no problem, three times. What Iíve wondered is if that would be considered strong or is that a show of average strength?
If you can curl half your body weight that would be considered very strong.

Old August 29th, 2004 #13
Sean Martin

Sean Martin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cracker oftheWhip

Depends on your location, here in the rural area I reside most people are above average strength because nearly everyone works hard manual labor jobs.

If you live in a more urban area where people sit behind a desk all day I would say that is a massive feat.

People I know that live in the larger cities are lucky to bench press 75 pounds, while here it is quite common if you bench 200 pounds.

I would say for anyone that doesnít lift weights that was a good show.

Old August 29th, 2004 #14
IrishJay

185 curl for reps...

90 pound dumbbells for reps...

I don't even train bis that much, they get work from my back exercises and my strongman training.

Old August 30th, 2004 #15
COTW
Overseer

COTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppelhaken
Of course Jay weighs about 260.

I read in a book "Starting lifting weights", from the late 70's, that if you could curl your entire body weight for one rep, you were very strong. I concur, but I've never met anyone who can do it (strictly, anway)!

A strong man should be able to curl 50% of his weight for at least 6 reps, a very strong man 60% for 8-10.
I may have tossed my weights out some time ago. Guess I'll have to take advantage of another similar situation next time it becomes available to see where I stand in the matter.

"The very aim and end of our institutions is just this: that we may think what we like and say what we think."

-Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.

Old August 30th, 2004 #16
IrishJay

You are correct Doppelhaken on all counts.

Kaz used to do 315 for reps in the barbell curl. His other lifts were just as amazing if not more so.

Thread