Vanguard News Network
VNN Media
VNN Digital Library
VNN Reader Mail
VNN Broadcasts

Old October 15th, 2009 #1
H.B.

Default Bill de Blasio and the politics of race suicide ...

Notice they only give examples of Whites mixing with other groups ...

Breaking the last racial taboo

This is how Kwans are supposed to redeem themselves from "four hundred years of slavery and oppression."

Quote:
There’s nothing more traditional in American politics than the wholesome family portrait: a beaming candidate, beaming spouse, reluctantly beaming teenagers.

But when Bill de Blasio, a candidate for public office in New York City this fall, put his family in his campaign mailings and TV ads, there was nothing routine about it. De Blasio’s wife of 15 years, Chirlane McCray, is black, his children are of mixed race and, even in one of America’s most liberal cities, no one could remember anything like it.

De Blasio, 48, won the crucial Democratic primary in a runoff Sept. 29 and is in line to be the city’s next public advocate, a sort of high-profile ombudsman’s job that’s second in the line of succession to the mayor. The city councilman from liberal Park Slope, Brooklyn, had other things going for him — institutional support, newspaper endorsements — but in the view of his campaign, and of many of the city’s political observers, his interracial relationship was an almost unmitigated positive in a hotly contested election.

With Barack Obama having rewritten the history of race relations in this country, de Blasio may be demolishing one of its last taboos, “For so long in American history, interracial couples went out of their way to keep their relationships out of the public eye that it’s remarkable to see them used in a campaign like this,” said Peggy Pascoe, a historian of interracial marriage at the University of Oregon [What the fuck is a "historian of interracial marriage"? - HB], who referred to the campaign as “a post-Obama phenomenon.”

That’s a perception McCray said she shared. Obama, she said, “opened a door” and “made it easier for us to go there.”

While de Blasio’s success in New York reflects the increased acceptance of mixed marriages, recent history suggests that the new tolerance may still be dependent on geography and race. A sharp counterpoint was the 2006 Tennessee Senate race which then-Rep. Harold Ford, an African-American, lost narrowly to Republican Bob Corker after the final days of the campaign were consumed by a Republican National Committee ad linking Ford to a scantily clad young blond woman. Ford’s allies charged it was a thinly veiled attempt to tap into old Southern fears about black men and white women.

And it seems to be a current that still remains just below the surface in Tennessee politics: Ford’s subsequent marriage to a white woman was widely viewed as a major barrier to another run.

While the Supreme Court legalized interracial marriage in 1967, attitudes were relatively slow to change in much of the country. When Dean Rusk, who was secretary of state at the time, learned that his daughter planned to marry a black man that same year, he offered his resignation, which President Lyndon B. Johnson declined. Former Massachusetts Sen. Ed Brooke, an African-American, was married to an Italian woman he’d met as a soldier in World War II, something he later said was sometimes used against him even in that liberal state. And Obama himself faced challenges to his racial authenticity as the child of a mixed marriage.

Gallup surveys indicate that only 48 percent of Americans approved of marriage between blacks and whites as recently as 1994, a number that had risen to 77 percent by 2007. [The Internet took off in 1995 so there was probably a powerful propaganda campaign behind those numbers - HB]

Other barriers fell long ago: Phil Gramm, for example, a prominent conservative elected to both the House and Senate from Texas, is married to woman of Korean heritage who was born in Hawaii. This year, in deeply conservative South Carolina, state Sen. Nikki Haley, who is of Indian descent, has put her husband, who is white, and their children front and center in her campaign for governor.

“It’s a total nonissue,” said her spokesman, Tim Pearson.

The politics of black and white, though, have always been more sensitive. But de Blasio’s campaign, like Obama’s, reflects a New York political environment in which the politics of race are changing fast.

“It’s the right city — particularly if you’re the white man running for a citywide office — to show that you can be connected to and understand the issues of people of color in the city as a public advocate,” said Maya Wiley, the director of the Center for Social Inclusion in New York.

For de Blasio, his family seemed to serve two political purposes: establishing his credibility with African-American voters, and projecting the image for all voters of a candidate suited to the Obama era.

“It’s not post-racial, and it’s not nonracial — but it’s a different racial environment,” said Doug Muzzio, a professor of public affairs at Baruch College in Manhattan. The image, he said “is simply more modern, it’s more American, and it’s sort of an apotheosis of New York.”

De Blasio said in an interview that he had little choice about projecting his identity. “This is literally who I am, and these are the most important people in my life, and my life revolves around them. My wife is my partner in everything,” he said.

McCray narrates de Blasio’s first ad, concluding with an arm around him, “Bill’s a great husband and father, and he’ll be a great public advocate. I should know — this big guy’s my husband.” His second television ad, narrated by their 12-year-old son, Dante, closed with an image of de Blasio and his family to underscore a message of inclusion: “I’ll stand up for all New Yorkers,” the candidate intones.

His wife’s prominence wasn’t all a matter of course — a poll done early on for the campaign specifically included a question on interracial marriage. But de Blasio said he always hoped his candidacy could have a larger impact.

“I thought if I could do this the right way and show a multiracial family in a very positive light that that was good for the public discourse and also for candidates,” de Blasio said. “Every time a candidate who’s different ventures out and succeeds, it opens up a lot more space.”

De Blasio and McCray met when a more traditional racial politics was at its height in New York. Then- Mayor David Dinkins’s fragile coalition-building had brought together black and Hispanic voters and enough liberal whites to win a narrow majority, but that coalition ultimately fractured when he ran for reelection against Rudy Giuliani in a contest dominated by violence between blacks and Jews.

The Dinkins movement “wasn’t sustainable, because we didn’t reach deeply enough and ended up with an incomplete coalition,” said de Blasio, who, like his wife, worked for Dinkins. “That was a foundational experience to me — that the only way you make real change in society is to create a full coalition and sustain it.”

His efforts to make his family a kind of symbolic coalition drew some resistance. A black nationalist city councilman, Charles Barron, called his mailing “disgraceful” and “an insult to the black community.”

Rival campaigns, meanwhile, were unsure of what to make of it. A senior aide to one rival said they tested de Blasio’s mailings in a focus group and left hoping that voters would find the appeal “crass.” On the campaign trail, though, the reception was overwhelmingly positive, McCray said in an interview. “People loved the literature. Some people have it hanging in their living rooms,” she said.

De Blasio’s primary victory hardly marked the end of racial politics in New York, long split by tribes and their alliances, if shifting ones. The same day, a Dinkins-style minority coalition carried a Chinese-American, John Liu, to victory in a campaign marked by appeals to racial and ethnic solidarity —such as those from one black Brooklyn council woman, who said: “We stand with this minority because we, as members of a minority, recognize that when we stand together, we represent a majority.”

De Blasio, who is expected to win handily against a token opponent in next month’s general election, declined to offer a simple lesson from his win.

“We’re not in post-racial politics, but we’re in a politics of racial possibility,” de Blasio said. “Our obligation is to keep pushing it, ... to keep trying all the permutations of it.”

Correction: Chirlane McCray's name was spelled incorrectly in an earlier version of this story.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/politico/200...politico/28175

Last edited by H.B.; October 15th, 2009 at 03:45 PM.

Old October 15th, 2009 #2
Mr Murray

Another white blood-line finished.

His descendants will just be niggers rummaging through steaming garbage piles like in Brazil.

Old October 15th, 2009 #3
Rounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by H.B. View Post
Notice they only give examples of Whites mixing with other groups ...

Breaking the last racial taboo

This is how Kwans are supposed to redeem themselves from "four hundred years of slavery and oppression."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/politico/200...politico/28175

Good point. The "journalist" gave himself away with this:

"only 48 percent of Americans approved of marriage between blacks and whites as recently as 1994, a number that had risen to 77 percent by 2007."

NOTE: Idiots who believe more race-mixing means less violence should be reminded of the Hutos, Watusis, and machettes.

Last edited by Rounder; October 15th, 2009 at 04:33 PM.

Old October 15th, 2009 #4
M. Kraus
Das Ende

Quote:
“Our obligation is to keep pushing it, ... to keep trying all the permutations of it.”
By "obligation", I assume he means a moral obligation.

What a piece of trash. As if "all the permutations" hadn't already been tried, and given the kosher stamp of approval.

Old August 2nd, 2013 #5
The Bobster
Banned

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/d...DMcS6dK42PUExM

Exclusive: De Blasio’s ‘nanny state’ - used government staffers as free child care, sources say
By SALLY GOLDENBERG
Last Updated: 7:25 AM, August 2, 2013
Posted: 2:00 AM, August 2, 2013

Mayoral candidate Bill de Blasio has a novel way of getting free child care: Use government staff.

The city’s public advocate relied on employees to tend to his children when he was a member of the City Council and the kids were young, multiple sources have told The Post.

Employees in his Brooklyn council office, which he occupied from 2002 through 2009, were often asked to watch his son and daughter at the office after school let out and even to pick them up occasionally, the sources said.

“I remember a couple of times I would have to go to the house to watch them,” said one source.

‘MIND’ BENDER: Ex-staffers say mayoral candidate Bill de Blasio (with orange, corkscrew-haired son Dante, nigger wife Chirlane and mongrel daughter Chiara) would often use city workers to baby-sit the kids during his 2002-09 City Council stint.

“Sometimes staff would get a heads-up a day in advance or when they would get a scheduling meeting. He would say, ‘Well, I have this meeting. The kids are going to need a pickup.’ familiar with the inner workings of his council office

“I do distinctly remember a staff member having to get a letter authorizing her to pick up the kids [from school] because they were very young then,” the source said, adding that the rides occurred several times a month during work hours and that one staffer in particular “absolutely hated it.”

A second source said de Blasio’s staff often tended to the children at council-related evening events while de Blasio worked.

Dante and Chiara, who are now 15 and 18 years old, are often on the campaign trail with their dad.

“I’d see him at community-board meetings and I’d see his staff ... You’d see them watching Dante,” the source said.

De Blasio insists that he always watched his children himself when they were in the office or when he took them to an event.

DeBlasio said further he could only remember one former staffer ever picking them up from school, and that was after she left his employ and volunteered to do so on several occasions.

But when pressed on the after-school pickups, he added that “there may have been a couple of times in an emergency where a staff member may have stepped in to help.”

At the office, “I would be there; they would color in the coloring book. Staff was in the room, but I was there making sure the kids were OK,” he said.

The de Blasio campaign provided The Post with seven former staffers who said that they were never asked to look after the kids.

“I never saw staff asked to baby-sit, pick up, or take care of the de Blasio children,” said Josh Wallack, legislative director from 2002 through 2006.

“To the contrary, I remember many days when Bill carefully arranged his schedule in order to pick them up himself and take care of them himself.”

Ironically, in a campaign video this year, de Blasio emphasized the quality time spent with his family.

“I really go out of my way to make sure I can drive Dante to school as much as possible. And my staff understands that that’s something I try and keep sacred,” he says in the online video.

Old August 21st, 2013 #6
The Bobster
Banned

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/q...sqhsWLmn8DyQNK

Quinn hits back at de Blasio's wife after 'inaccessible' remark during interview
By YOAV GONEN
Last Updated: 12:19 PM, August 21, 2013
Posted: 12:18 PM, August 21, 2013

Chirlane McCray, left, and mayoral candidate Christine Quinn, right.

It's becoming a families feud.

Public Advocate Bill de Blasio's wife sparked a stinging backlash yesterday after she implied that his main rival — Christine Quinn, a married lesbian who has no kids — can't relate to issues of child care.

Chirlane McCray, who had described herself as a lesbian prior to marrying de Blasio, told a New York Times columnist that Quinn wasn't energizing women voters because she's not "accessible."

"She’s not the kind of person I feel I can go up to and talk to about issues like taking care of children at a young age...” McCray was quoted as saying in Maureen Dowd's column.

Quinn, the City Council Speaker who last year married her longtime companion, Kim Catullo, pushed back hard this morning.

“I have taken a number of shots in this race from the men running against me, and I accept that as par for the course in a political campaign. But to criticize me as not understanding what young families go through because I might not have children, is over the line and I take great personal offense to the comment, as does my wife," Quinn said.

"I have spoken fondly of Ms. McCray and Mr. de Blasio’s family," she added. "It’s unfortunate that they cannot do the same about mine – no matter how different it might be from theirs."

De Blasio's campaign responded by saying McCray had been misquoted and that a transcript shows two separate sentences were merged into one.

"I don’t see her speaking to the concerns of women who have to take care of children at a young age or send them to school and after school, paid sick days, workplace, she is not speaking to any of those issues," the transcript reads.

"And she is not accessible, she is not the kind of person that I feel that you can go up and talk to and have a conversation with about those things, and I suspect that other women feel the same thing I’m feeling."

De Blasio's campaign's manager, Bill Hyers, insisted McCray's comments centered only on Quinn's unwillingness to listen to people on those issues.

"Any suggestion otherwise is disingenuous and absurd," he said.

Quinn and de Blasio have been increasingly trading sharp shots as the Sept. 10 primary draws closer.

Quinn, de Blasio and former Comptroller Bill Thompson are bunched in the mutli-candidate Democratic field. A runoff between the two top finishers will be held Oct. 1 if no candidate wins with at least 40 percent of the vote.

This morning, Quinn's campaign launched Web sites that highlight DeBlasio perceived flip-flops on several major issues. DeBlasio's camp, in turn, put out a commercial highlighting Quinn's unwavering support for Police Commissioner Ray Kelly, whose department was slammed by a federal judge last week for racial profiling.

Old August 28th, 2013 #7
The Bobster
Banned

http://www.nypost.com/p/entertainmen...zMhMw9YLWATCH: Dante's inferno - De Blasio's son sparks pop-culture frenzy

Mayoral candidate Bill de Blasio’s 15-year-old mongrel son has sparked a pop-culture frenzy never before seen in a political campaign. Would New Yorkers rather vote for him?
By SARA STEWART
Last Updated: 7:55 AM, August 28, 2013
Posted: 11:53 PM, August 27, 2013

The teen boy in the burgundy shirt, basketball shorts and voluminous Afro could be your average hip Park Slope high schooler. But as Dante "Lionel Jefferson" de Blasio polishes off his grilled cheese and stands up to amble out of the Purity Diner, he’s stopped by an older white gentleman seated nearby.

“I saw your ad! It was compelling. Very well done,” 66-year-old Ben Eichler congratulates him. “They’ve been running it an awful lot on the local channels.”

The TV spot in question, called simply “Dante,” premiered earlier this month and features Public Advocate Bill de Blasio’s 15-year-old son detailing the candidate’s credentials as the most left-leaning mayoral contender. Wearing a casual T-shirt and looking generally un-primped, he speaks enthusiastically — yet a little awkwardly — to the camera about de Blasio’s accomplishments. He closes with: “Bill de Blasio will be a mayor for every New Yorker — and I’d say that even if he weren’t my dad.”

Dante de Blasio has become a secret weapon in his father’s mayoral campaign.

In his second ad, Dante shares breakfast with parents Chirlane McCray and Bill de Blasio. (Note the bowl of bananas and the box of Cheerios, breakfast of race mixers.)

Initial buzz showed a fair amount of viewer surprise at the ad’s reveal: The candidate has a biracial son. Currently at over 120,000 views on YouTube, the spot got New Yorkers talking — sometimes about the mayoral candidate’s qualifications, frequently about his multiracial family, but most often about how Dante was “rocking the best Afro ever,” as the Huffington Post put it.

It’s a highly savvy move:

De Blasio’s half-black son is a pointed voice (and face) as he describes his dad as “the only one who will end a stop-and-frisk era, which unfairly targets people of color.”

Call it the Dante Effect: A Quinnipiac poll released shortly after the debut of the “Dante” ad found de Blasio in first place among likely Democratic primary voters with 30 percent of the vote, compared with Christine Quinn’s 24 percent and Bill Thompson’s 22 percent. (An NBC New York/WSJ/Marist poll the following week put Quinn and de Blasio neck and neck at 24 percent; a Quinnipiac poll reflecting Quinn’s endorsement by multiple papers, including this one, will be released today.)

Over the past several months, Dante’s Afro — which he says he started in third grade and stuck with because of his love for the TV show “The Boondocks,” with its Afro-sporting main character — has spawned legions of fans, a nickname for the campaign’s surge in the polls (“fromentum”), its own Twitter account (@danteshair has yet to tweet, though it does have 37 followers) and an official campaign hashtag, #gowiththefro.

Old August 28th, 2013 #8
Cale Sparks
anti-American

"Chirlane McCray, who had described herself as a lesbian prior to marrying de Blasio..."

It's still a dike. With de Blasio it gets to be the dominant of the two.

Old August 28th, 2013 #9
SaraT

"Chirlane McCray, who had described herself as a lesbian prior to marrying de Blasio"

the magical power of a white pecker!

Old September 24th, 2013 #10
The Bobster
Banned

http://nypost.com/2013/09/24/de-blas...g-sandinistas/

Obama to meet Sandinista-supporting de Blasio
By Beth DeFalco
September 24, 2013 | 8:28am

President Obama — who endorsed Bill de Blasio for mayor on Monday and is in town for the UN session — has set time aside to meet face-to-face with the Democratic candidate Tuesday night, The Post has learned.

The meeting comes as de Blasio leads Republican rival Joe Lhota by more than 40 percentage points in public polls.

Earlier Tuesday, de Blasio defended his support of the Nicaraguan Sandinistas by comparing himself to FDR.

“I’m a progressive and I’m a Democrat and I’m very much in the tradition of Franklin Roosevelt,” de Blasio said on WPIX TV, explaining why he traveled to Nicaragua more than two decades ago to support a government the U.S. was trying to topple.

“I think U.S. policies at the time were wrong. I was very proud to be involved with that work,” he added.

Old September 25th, 2013 #11
The Bobster
Banned

Default De Blasio’s warped world view should set off alarm bells

http://nypost.com/2013/09/25/de-blas...f-alarm-bells/

De Blasio’s warped world view should set off alarm bells
By Michael Goodwin
September 25, 2013 | 2:44am

Trying to defend the indefensible, Bill de Blasio explained his work with Nicaraguan communists this way.

“They had a youthful energy and idealism mixed with a human ability and practicality that was really inspirational,” he told a reporter, before conceding that his heroes were “not free enough by any stretch of the imagination.”

To summarize his argument, on one hand you have energy and idealism, and on the other you have prison and the murder of dissidents. But the leaders meant well and, besides, nobody is perfect.

In a nutshell — emphasis on nut — the Democratic nominee for mayor has outed himself as a supporter of oppression, as long as it comes from the far left. He also expressed his fondness for “democratic socialism,” which is like calling himself a socialist.

The revelations in the New York Times about de Blasio’s warped world view, and history of aiding such despots as Fidel Castro, draw a ho-hum response from fellow lefties. Even if they didn’t know of de Blasio’s admiration for dictators, they surely recognize him as one of their own when he uses the code words of “fighting inequality and economic injustice.”

But for sensible New Yorkers, the emerging portrait of the man poised to be mayor should set off alarm bells. His past, combined with his pro-tax, anti-police agenda, confirm that De Blasio is not your garden-variety liberal like the Democrats he defeated in the primary. Their incremental approach is mainstream compared to his vision of social revolution.

His activism marks him as a hard-line leftist who, as an adult, spouted the idea that the United States was a problem in the world. As such, he’s a member of the “blame-America-first” club, the kind who doesn’t understand the fuss over Jane Fonda or why it’s not okay to sport Che Guevara T-shirts.

Where does he stand on the autocratic reign of the late Hugo Chavez? What about the Mideast — is Israel the problem? The more we know about him, the more we need to know.

And not because every mayor has a foreign policy. A politician’s philosophy tends to be consistent, abroad and at home. Someone who favors government power over individual liberty for Latin Americans is likely to hold the same view about New Yorkers.

A charitable way to describe de Blasio is that he is naive. But such charity is itself naive.

Consider that de Blasio and his wife snuck into Cuba for their honeymoon in 1994. It was apparently an illegal trip, which would explain why they first flew to Canada. It could also explain why they didn’t tell their children, according to their daughter, who said she recently learned of it. She hailed the trip as “badass.” Indeed.

She’s not alone in needing a lesson about the Cuba of those days. The collapse of the Soviet Union meant the end of vital subsidies and most of Cuba’s trade. The island nation, after 45 years of Castro and communism, looked to be in a death spiral.

America saw a chance for improving relations, and President Clinton sent Harry Belafonte and others to meet with Castro about easing the trade embargo. “Forget it, leave it as it is,” Castro responded, according to a member of the delegation.

Castro feared ordinary Cubans would revolt if they tasted the political, economic and religious freedom that would follow an opening. Nor did he and his gangster government want to give up control of the lucrative black market in goods and oil. A second Clinton delegation got the same brush-off, and to this day almost nothing has changed for the same reasons.

So when de Blasio went to help, he was not helping the Cuban people. Similarly, his support for the Sandinistas added to the misery of ordinary Nicaraguans, yet he remains proud.

“I have an activist’s desire to improve people’s lives,” he told the Times.

George Will recently observed that the whole point of modern liberalism is for liberals to feel good about themselves.

By that standard, de Blasio’s waltzes with dictators are a roaring success for his self-esteem. For everyone else, there is only tyranny and misery.

World is safer only to a Bam fool

He can’t help himself.

President Obama’s speech at the United Nations contained surprisingly forceful arguments about American leadership in a fractured and frightened world.

But he undermined its thesis with the ridiculous claim that “the world is more stable than it was five years ago.”

Actually, the bad guys are gaining ground.

The Arab Spring is a nightmare as al Qaeda offshoots pick up territory and strength across the globe.

Syria and Libya are bloody messes and Egypt is a jump ball. Jordan is in danger of collapse and Iraq is becoming a client state of Iran, which is five years closer to a nuke.

Afghanistan is in free fall and terrorists are emboldened in Pakistan. Much of Africa is unsafe, as illustrated by the Kenya mall massacre, and North Korea remains a nuclear wild card. Russia and China are asserting themselves everywhere.

Obama’s claim seems especially silly given how the UN was turned into a fortress for his appearance. Streets were blocked with trucks and air space was restricted.

He also says the “tide of war is receding,” but the only thing receding is American influence.

Meanwhile, Obama’s effort to engage Iran is defensible in theory, but is dangerous when he is cutting the military.

The sense of desperation, reflected in the hollow deal he signed on Syria’s chemical weapons, will stiffen the mullahs’ drive for the bomb.

If Obama truly believes things are getting better, he’s more likely to swallow Iranian lies about its nuclear intentions.

A mushroom cloud would be a terrible awakening.

Keep on mucking!

A showdown is brewing in Albany, with Gov. Cuomo’s Moreland Commission hitting a roadblock in its push to clean up corruption. The panel’s demand for details on legislators’ outside income above $20,000 is getting a bipartisan rejection.

The next move is Cuomo’s, and he vows to push on, saying, “The effort is all about restoring people’s faith in government, and I think the more information, the better.”

He avoided the showdown for two years, but concluded he can’t make much more progress as long as lawmaker perp walks keep dominating the news.

Having identified the stakes and come this far, he must finish the job. Wish him luck and courage.

Sour on O’s $weets

Proving again that crony capitalism is not capitalism, a San Francisco TV station caught the federal government giving Google cheap hangar space for private planes and taxpayer-subsidized fuel. The fuel was priced as low as $1.68 a gallon, instead of the $8 gallon it fetched nearby, according to the NBC station. Google, whose top officials are thisclose to President Obama, lost the sweetheart deals when the station asked questions.

That’s an admission of guilt. Unfortunately, it carries no penalty for the guilty.

Old September 25th, 2013 #12
The Bobster
Banned

http://nypost.com/2013/09/25/de-blas...frican-tyrant/

De Blasio among legislators who honored African tyrant
By Elizabeth Hagen, Reuven Fenton and Carl Campanile
September 25, 2013 | 2:28am

Zimbabwe despot Robert Mugabe speaks at City Hall in 2002.

His trysts with tyrants didn’t end in Cuba and Nicaragua.

Bill de Blasio was also among the legislators who honored reviled Zimbabwe despot Robert Mugabe at City Hall in 2002 — an event organized by YT-slapping Councilman Charles Barron.

De Blasio was in his first term on the City Council, while Mugabe was already notorious for starving his people, jailing or torturing his political rivals, seizing land from white farm owners and promoting anti-gay policies.

Thirty-six of the 51 council members shunned the event, which included an hourlong lecture by the dictator in the council chambers, followed by a reception.

Politicians on Tuesday said the gathering was inexplicable.

“Mugabe was thought of as a vicious despot who had no place being in New York’s City Hall,” said Queens Councilman Peter Vallone Jr., who boycotted.

“Mugabe killed his opponents. He took away land from anyone who wasn’t black. He rigged elections. And Charles Barron welcomes him with open arms!”

Brooklyn state Sen. Simcha Felder, then a first-year councilman, recalled being shocked by Mugabe’s visit.

“I asked around and found out what a madman Mugabe was,” Felder said, explaining why he stayed far away.

But de Blasio was there, along with other legislators, mostly from the council’s Black, Hispanic and Asian Caucus, who still considered Mugabe a hero for helping overthrow white colonial rule decades earlier.

The Democratic mayoral nominee finally had a change of heart six years later, when runoff elections in Mugabe’s Zimbabwe were marred by violence.

De Blasio — by that time mulling a run for either Brooklyn borough president or public advocate — conceded that honoring Mugabe was “a mistake,” and in retrospect, “I feel ashamed of it.”

De Blasio also admitted that, “even based on the information we had six years ago, there was sufficient information to not have [Mugabe] in our chambers.”

He declined to comment further Tuesday.

Meanwhile, his GOP rival, Joe Lhota, continued pounding de Blasio for his visits to Cuba and Nicaragua, where he was allied with the Marxist Sandinistas.

“Bill de Blasio needs to explain himself — and explain himself now — to the hundreds of thousands of New Yorkers who escaped Marxist tyranny in Asia, Central America, and from behind the Iron Curtain in Eastern Europe,” Lhota said in Flushing.

“De Blasio’s class-warfare strategy in New York City is directly out of the Marxist playbook. Now we know why.”

De Blasio dismissed Lhota’s attack as coming from a right-wing playbook.

“It’s 2013. I’d like to note, I’m not going to stoop to Joe Lhota’s level here,” de Blasio said.

Old September 26th, 2013 #13
The Bobster
Banned

http://nypost.com/2013/09/26/bleary-...eyes-of-youth/

De Blasio’s bleary, dreary eyes of youth
By Reuven Fenton and Yoav Gonen
September 26, 2013 | 4:46am

Bill Wilhelm (now Bill de Blasio) in his college yearbook photo.

Far out, man — I might be your mayor soon.

City Hall hopeful Bill de Blasio was a much scruffier dude back in his college days, with a hairdo almost as distinctive as son Dante’s Afro, a beard to match and a far-away gaze.

This NYU yearbook photo of “Bill Wilhelm,” as he was known before legally taking his mother’s maiden name, indicates that ties were not in style among the school’s activist set.

Among the issues tackled in the early ’80s by the now-Democratic candidate was challenging Board of Trustees tuition hikes and protesting federal financial aid cuts.

He also castigated the operators of the Three Mile Island nuclear reactor — three years after the accident — for being “ignorant.”

A 1984 graduate, de Blasio went on to support the left-wing Sandinistas in Nicaragua and honeymoon in Cuba.

Old September 26th, 2013 #14
The Bobster
Banned

http://nypost.com/2013/09/26/de-blas...ights-records/

De Blasio’s favorite countries have dismal human-rights records
By Leonard Greene
September 26, 2013 | 4:53am

Three leftist countries that drew Bill de Blasio’s interest over the past 25 years rank high for repression on the annual list compiled by Freedom House, a human-rights watchdog group.

The organization uses a point scale of 1 to 7 for political rights and civil liberties, with the higher number representing the most oppressive.

Cuba gets a 7 for political rights and a 6 for civil liberties.

Zimbabwe lands a grade of 6 on both issues.

And de Blasio’s beloved Nicaragua earns 5 points for political rights and 4 for civil liberties.

Freedom House rates that country as “partly free.”

“Employees have reportedly been dismissed for union activities, and citizens have no effective recourse when labor laws are violated by those in power,” the oversight group reported.

“Child labor and other abuses in export-processing zones remain problems, though child labor occurs most often in the agricultural sector.”

De Blasio, the city public advocate who is the Democratic nominee for mayor, is facing mounting criticism for his full-throated support of Nicaragua’s Sandinista government, which cracked down on dissenters and had close ties to communists.

De Blasio has also drawn fire for honeymooning in Cuba after his 1994 marriage to Chirlane McCray — a trip that violated a US travel ban.

The mayor-poll front-runner has also been criticized for joining legislators who welcome reviled Zimbabwe despot Robert Mugabe to City Hall in 2002 when de Blasio served on the City Council.

De Blasio has since said the Mugabe appearance was a “mistake.”

“I feel ashamed of it,” he said.

Old September 26th, 2013 #15
The Bobster
Banned

http://nypost.com/2013/09/26/de-blas...anti-semitism/

De Blasio ignored Nicaragua anti-Semitism
By Beth DeFalco
September 26, 2013 | 3:00am

Bill de Blasio’s workers’ paradise in Sandinista-controlled Nicaragua was an anti-Semitic hotbed that persecuted Jews, forced them out of the country and stole their hard-earned property, Jewish leaders say.

News and personal accounts of the era paint a harsh, hateful picture of the repressive party.

The nearly 30-year-old allegations about the Sandinistas include their making threats against Nicaragua’s small Jewish community — a mere 250 in number — confiscating private property and support of Yasser Arafat’s PLO.

In 1979, many of the country’s Jews fled in the face of persecution and threatened imprisonment.

Dan Levitan, a de Blasio campaign spokesman, said there was no connection between the candidate’s activities and the hatred spewed by the Sandinistas at Jews.

The Democratic mayoral front-runner went to Nicaragua in 1988 — when he was 26 — to help distribute food and medicine.

“They had a youthful energy and idealism mixed with a human ability and practicality that was really inspirational,” he said recently.

In addition to Nicaragua, other leftist countries that have drawn de Blasio’s interest rank high for repression on the annual list compiled by Freedom House, a human-rights watchdog group.

Cuba — where he honeymooned — gets the group’s worst rating on repression, while Zimbabwe and Nicaragua also received damning grades.

Old September 26th, 2013 #16
Bobby Bandanza
The anti-Jew.

"Whatcha gonna do when Trumpamania and the largest rats of Judea Jew wild on you?!" - Me

Old September 30th, 2013 #17
The Bobster
Banned

http://nypost.com/2013/09/29/de-blasio-in-a-fix/

De Blasio in a ‘fix’
By Kathryn Cusma and Michael Gartland
September 29, 2013 | 1:32am

Bill de Blasio attends a campaign event at a Park Slope pizzeria Saturday.

It’s the tale of two tickets.

Bill de Blasio declared Saturday that there are two standards when it comes to fixing tickets — one for politicians and their well-connected pals and another for everyone else.

“People have the right to an appeals process if they think a ticket is unfair or arbitrary. It’s appropriate for local officials to help them get that,” de Blasio said at a Park Slope pizzeria.

His comments on ticket-fixing came at a Brooklyn campaign event in response to a question from a Post reporter who asked whether he thought it was fair that cops were indicted for disposing of tickets — while elected ticket-fixers like him get a free pass.

“That’s different than when somebody illegally or inappropriately intervenes with the process. It’s a fine and obvious line,” said the liberal mayoral wannabe, whose primary campaign was based on the notion that New York has been divided into two cities — of haves and have-nots.

The comments are the first by de Blasio, the city’s public advocate, on ticket-fixing since the Village Voice reported Wednesday that the former city councilman helped wriggle at least four of his Brooklyn constituents out of parking tickets and other city fines.

Two years ago, 15 NYPD officers were indicted on more than 1,600 criminal counts for tossing tickets for friends, family and influential New Yorkers.

In some cases, cops were accused of destroying the paper tickets; in others, they were charged with intentionally flubbing cases in traffic court.

As the case unfolded, de Blasio publicly demanded that Police Commissioner Ray Kelly investigate cases in which police allegedly fixed tickets and disposed of drunken-driving and domestic-violence cases.

“We need the facts, and we need them sooner rather than later,” de Blasio fumed during a radio interview.

But when de Blasio was on the council, he saw no problem penning letters to city agencies to get tickets quashed.

Bracha Breiger told The Post that a January 2006 letter from de Blasio helped get her out of a Department of Transportation ticket she got for work her family did on a sidewalk.

“I’m glad he fixed it,” Breiger said.

In a separate case, in June 2005, de Blasio e-mailed the Parking Violations Bureau: “I recognize that double parking is illegal; however, as you know, double parking during street cleaning has long been an accepted practice in New York City,” the Voice reported.

Last week, de Blasio spokesman Dan Levitan said it was “part of his job” to “help people in his community having problems with the city’s bureaucracy.”

But critics contend de Blasio should receive the same scrutiny he demanded for cops.

“He was using his political influence,” said Ed Mullins, president of the Sergeants Benevolent Association. “Why was he intervening in a situation he was not privy to. He wasn’t a witness. The least that should come of this is DA [Cyrus] Vance should open up an investigation — the same way that was done with the police.”

Old September 30th, 2013 #18
The Bobster
Banned

http://nypost.com/2013/09/30/de-blas...-past-arrests/

De Blasio fesses up to past arrests
By Sally Goldenberg
September 30, 2013 | 2:25pm

De Blasio fesses up to past arrests

Bill de Blasio admitted Monday that he has been arrested twice for protesting Washington’s policies towards Central America.

The Democratic mayoral candidate disclosed the arrests in response to a question from The Post about his past run-ins with the law.

When asked for the total number of times he has been arrested “for civil disobedience or anything else” he replied:

“I believe it is four: LICH, Engine 204 and two times in Central-America-related protests in Washington,” he said.

When pressed whether there were any others he said, “Not that I remember.”

LICH is a reference to Long Island College Hospital in Brooklyn, which de Blasio fought to keep open. He was also arrested battling against firehouse closings in 2003 while on the City Council.

De Blasio didn’t offer a time frame for the Washington arrests.

More than two decades ago, de Blasio traveled to Nicaragua to bring food and medicine to the Sandanistas.

He also honeymooned with nigger wife Chirlane McCray in Cuba in 1991.

Last edited by The Bobster; October 2nd, 2013 at 07:13 AM.

Old October 1st, 2013 #19
Peter Campbell
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bobster View Post
http://www.nypost.com/p/entertainmen...zMhMw9YLWATCH: Dante's inferno - De Blasio's son sparks pop-culture frenzy

Mayoral candidate Bill de Blasio’s 15-year-old mongrel son has sparked a pop-culture frenzy never before seen in a political campaign. Would New Yorkers rather vote for him?
By SARA STEWART
Last Updated: 7:55 AM, August 28, 2013
Posted: 11:53 PM, August 27, 2013

The teen boy in the burgundy shirt, basketball shorts and voluminous Afro could be your average hip Park Slope high schooler. But as Dante "Lionel Jefferson" de Blasio polishes off his grilled cheese and stands up to amble out of the Purity Diner, he’s stopped by an older white gentleman seated nearby.

“I saw your ad! It was compelling. Very well done,” 66-year-old Ben Eichler congratulates him. “They’ve been running it an awful lot on the local channels.”

The TV spot in question, called simply “Dante,” premiered earlier this month and features Public Advocate Bill de Blasio’s 15-year-old son detailing the candidate’s credentials as the most left-leaning mayoral contender. Wearing a casual T-shirt and looking generally un-primped, he speaks enthusiastically — yet a little awkwardly — to the camera about de Blasio’s accomplishments. He closes with: “Bill de Blasio will be a mayor for every New Yorker — and I’d say that even if he weren’t my dad.”

Dante de Blasio has become a secret weapon in his father’s mayoral campaign.

In his second ad, Dante shares breakfast with parents Chirlane McCray and Bill de Blasio. (Note the bowl of bananas and the box of Cheerios, breakfast of race mixers.)

Initial buzz showed a fair amount of viewer surprise at the ad’s reveal: The candidate has a biracial son. Currently at over 120,000 views on YouTube, the spot got New Yorkers talking — sometimes about the mayoral candidate’s qualifications, frequently about his multiracial family, but most often about how Dante was “rocking the best Afro ever,” as the Huffington Post put it.

It’s a highly savvy move:

De Blasio’s half-black son is a pointed voice (and face) as he describes his dad as “the only one who will end a stop-and-frisk era, which unfairly targets people of color.”

Call it the Dante Effect: A Quinnipiac poll released shortly after the debut of the “Dante” ad found de Blasio in first place among likely Democratic primary voters with 30 percent of the vote, compared with Christine Quinn’s 24 percent and Bill Thompson’s 22 percent. (An NBC New York/WSJ/Marist poll the following week put Quinn and de Blasio neck and neck at 24 percent; a Quinnipiac poll reflecting Quinn’s endorsement by multiple papers, including this one, will be released today.)

Over the past several months, Dante’s Afro — which he says he started in third grade and stuck with because of his love for the TV show “The Boondocks,” with its Afro-sporting main character — has spawned legions of fans, a nickname for the campaign’s surge in the polls (“fromentum”), its own Twitter account (@danteshair has yet to tweet, though it does have 37 followers) and an official campaign hashtag, #gowiththefro.
A race to the bottom.

Old October 10th, 2013 #20
The Bobster
Banned

http://nypost.com/2013/10/09/de-blas...love-with-her/

De Blasio: My wife’s poem made me fall in love with her
By Andy Soltis
October 9, 2013 | 11:41pm

New York City mayoral candidate Bill de Blasio and his gorilla wife Chirlane McCray

Bill de Blasio was on message and “progressive” even when it came to falling in love.

The Democratic mayoral nominee said Wednesday that a poem his wife, Chirlane McCray, wrote about “growing up as a young African-American in a racist society” was one of the reasons he fell for her.

McCray, who has written several poems and is widely expected to be major figure in a de Blasio administration if he wins, had her work “I Used to Think” published in 1983. They met several years later and married in 1994.

De Blasio talked about the role the poem had on his affection for McCray during an interview on W Radio. “It’s a very painful and very challenging poem, but very beautiful,” he said.

McCray described herself in the poem as “a Black girl/a nappy-headed, no-haired/fat-lipped/big-bottomed Black girl” who used to “run home crying/that I wanted to be light like my sisters.”

The poem ends on high note: “I have seen in the mirror/and the eyes of my sisters/that pretty is the woman in darkness/who flowers with loving.”

De Blasio told radio host Julio Sanchez Cristo, “I love her so deeply, and one of the things I love is that she, despite the difficulties she went through, is such a positive and hopeful person and such a creative person.”

“And so that poem really is one of the things that made me fall in love with her,” he added.

Tags
bill de blasio, interracial, post-obongo kwa

Thread