VNN Media
VNN Digital Library
VNN Reader Mail
VNN Broadcasts

Old May 22nd, 2007 #1
Euroman
Vandal

Default Committee member admits hate crime

The murder of Chris and Channon was a hate crime and these fucks know it. The only thing left to determine is whether the kids were called “honky muhfuggas” before they were killed. Another thing: three of the five niggers involved were from outside the area. Remember this when antis use the word “outsiders” to disparage the rally's participants.

Committee votes to ask group to cancel rally
http://www.knoxnews.com/kns/local_news/article/0,1406,KNS_347_5548777,00.html

While recognizing the First Amendment rights of all, the Knox County Commission strongly needs to request" that the rally not be held, Lambert said. "This community has seen a hate crime the likes of which we've never seen. I don't want these racist hate mongers to come here."

The anti-rally resolution was requested by Knox County Mayor Mike Ragsdale, and most commissioners agreed the county's legislative body needed to take a public position.

Commission Chairman Scott Moore and Commissioner Josh Jordan, who is black, voted no, however.

Moore cited "constitutional issues," namely the First Amendment right to free speech.

"What are we going to do if we don't like what people are doing at County Commission?" Moore asked. "Are we going to pass something saying people can't come and ask questions?

"The story is two young people lost their lives in a terrible, horrendous crime. I don't care if they're black, white or green, these (alleged killers) are not from here, and they came in and abused citizens of this county. (But) when you talk about these groups, that only gives them media attention," Moore said. Three of the five suspects are from outside the area.

Jordan also cited constitutional reasons.

'I don't see any need to cancel it," Jordan said. "It is freedom of speech. It's unfortunate they are coming to town. It's not going to affect minorities. It's not going to dictate who we are. Knoxville is a strong place, and we can overcome words."

Cate abstained because he "thought all we were doing was giving those people attention."

Ragsdale said he proposed the resolution at the request of Saadia Williams, executive director of the Race Relations Institute.

"I don't think there's a place in Knox County for groups that promote racial hatred," Ragsdale added. "I think we're obligated to tell them we don't want them and, if they come, to ignore them."

The permit application for the ABC Group was filed by Ken Gregg, who in the past has been affiliated with the White Patriot Party. His rally paperwork indicated the event would be held June 16 in front of the old Knox County Courthouse.

According to information posted on Stormfront.org, which calls itself the Web site of the white nationalist community, the rally is part of a three-day event, with other events occurring on private property.

Commission's resolution initially just requested that the group cancel its rally in Knoxville, but it was amended by Commissioner Mark Harmon to recognize First Amendment free-speech rights.

"I have taught mass media law," said Harmon, associate professor of journalism and electronic media at the University of Tennessee. "I've looked into this issue. All we're saying is we find the speech of this group repugnant, and we request that they take their message of hate and bigotry elsewhere."

Added Commissioner Tony Norman, "This body can make a statement that this body is repulsed without preventing them from being here."

Voting for the resolution urging that the rally not take place were commissioners Lambert, Harmon, Norman, Tim Greene, Craig Leuthold and Phil Ballard.

Thread