Vanguard News Network
VNN Media
VNN Digital Library
VNN Reader Mail
VNN Broadcasts

Old November 4th, 2008 #1
OTPTT
Banned

Default Advice on possible rifle purchase.

I found this Remington 700 Tactical rifle in .308 with John Plaster sniper stock with collapsible bipod and Tasco 840x56 custom shop scope. I can purchase what you see in the image below for $900.

I've been looking for a rifle in .308 that I could use for hunting and although I'm not excited about the stock it is a precision tactical rifle used for sniper applications generally. I can't imagine a finer or more accurate rifle for hunting.

From what I've read it's good out to 1000 yards although I suspect that most deer and other large game I would hunt would be within 300 yards or closer.

Anyone have any comments on this rifle and setup. I'm seriously interested in purchasing it and would like to get some feedback from those that might be more knowledgeable than I.

Thanks in advance.

Old November 4th, 2008 #2
TwistedCross
Smart Ass White Boy

I just picked up a Rem 700 SPS Tactical in .308.

Houge synthetic stock
20" heavy barrel

Although the 20" barrel isnt as good for longer ranges, below 500 yards it does just fine. Maneuverability is a bonus I think.

(edit: I reviewed the picture of the 700 you are looking at and it appears to have the standard barrel. I recommend the heavy barrel for higher accuracy and longer life)

I have not had the chance to take it out yet... but prolly this weekend i will go out.

The SPS Tactical is harder to find, in .308 especially, you will need to find one in stock.

It was about 650 + + taxes and background fees etc... Scope i had, rings and mounts i got.

VNN: for entertainment purposes only.

Last edited by TwistedCross; November 5th, 2008 at 12:46 AM.

Old November 5th, 2008 #3
OTPTT
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistedCross View Post
I just picked up a Rem 700 SPS Tactical in .308.

Houge synthetic stock
20" heavy barrel

Although the 20" barrel isnt as good for longer ranges, below 500 yards it does just fine. Maneuverability is a bonus I think.

I have not had the chance to take it out yet... but prolly this weekend i will go out.

The SPS Tactical is harder to find, in .308 especially, you will need to find one in stock.

It was about 650 + + taxes and background fees etc... Scope i had, rings and mounts i got.
The owner says that that barrel is the heaviest barrel they make. Is he lying to me?

Last edited by OTPTT; November 5th, 2008 at 01:00 AM.

Old November 5th, 2008 #4
TwistedCross
Smart Ass White Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTPTT View Post
The owner says that that barrel is the heaviest barrel they make. Is he lying to me?
I dont know. The picture does not show the barrel well enough to tell for sure. Get the exact model, there are many different variants of the 700.

to be certain get the exact model and ask for the barrel length, check Remington site.

If it is a Tac model it should have the heavy barrel though.

Your post indicates it might be a used rifle, in the past Rem as produced a 700 Police model that has been discontinued. I think that one was a 22 inch barrel, off the top of my head anyways.

Old November 5th, 2008 #5
albion

Built to carry on the tradition of the Model 700 ADL™ Synthetic, the Model 700 SPS is leading the way for the next generation of hard-hitting, fully featured, affordable priced rifles. The Model 700 SPS Tactical features a black synthetic Hogue Overmold stock, dual point pillar bedding and an all black oxide blasted finish with 20" heavy-contour tactical-style barrel.
http://www.remington.com/products/fi...el_700_SPS.asp

Old November 5th, 2008 #6
TwistedCross
Smart Ass White Boy

Yup, thats mine, short of Leopold mounts/scope and a bipod plus sling...

Tony just needs to be sure of what he is getting as there are many different 700 versions

Old November 5th, 2008 #7
wildbill

Quote:
I found this Remington 700 Tactical rifle in .308 with John Plaster sniper stock with collapsible bipod and Tasco 840x56 custom shop scope. I can purchase what you see in the image below for $900.
I think $900 is too high for this gun used. A new Remington 700 with a varmit barrel goes for about $500. The Plaster stock is around $150. You can get Tasco's best scope for about a $100 or less. Throw in a Harris bipod for $75 (a clone bipod runs $40 at Walmart) and all that still only adds up to $825 for everything band new.

Look around, I'll bet you can find a better deal.

Old November 5th, 2008 #8
reactionary

Quote:
No, he is not lying.

Old November 5th, 2008 #9
OTPTT
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by reactionary View Post
No, he is not lying.
I found another rifle that I have seen in person on one occasion and know the guy that bought it. I think he purchased it as it is and didn't add or build it as did the Remington's rifle owner. It's a Savage 110 Tactical with 24" heavy contour barrel, Springfield scope, and black sniper stock with bipod. Comes with many extras including several hundred rounds of match grade .308 and hard shell case.

I think I'll go with the Savage over the Remington. I'd welcome any comparisons or comments from those who know both of these rifles. The Savage will cost me more though but I think it may be the finer of the two.

I'm looking forward to doing some deer hunting this season and putting at least one buck in the freezer. Although I think one can hunt the doe as well but not being a hunter I'll have to get up to speed with it all.

Last edited by OTPTT; November 5th, 2008 at 06:10 PM.

Old November 5th, 2008 #10
OTPTT
Banned

I'll be picking up my new rifle Sunday. If any of you guys around the South have any hunting land and would care to show me the ropes insofar as deer hunting goes let me know and let's see if we can work something out. Let's go hunting!

If you know of anyone around the South that has hunting land and would allow me to hunt for deer either during the week or on a weekend let me know about that too.

I will be a cordial and polite guest and pay all customary fees, etc. Thanks in advance.

Thread