VNN Media
VNN Digital Library
VNN Reader Mail
VNN Broadcasts

Old July 28th, 2012 #1
DMS

Default The world’s first 3D-printed gun

http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/1...3d-printed-gun

An American gunsmith has become the first person to construct and shoot a pistol partly made out of plastic, 3D-printed parts. The creator, user HaveBlue from the AR-15 forum, has reportedly fired 200 rounds with his part-plastic pistol without any sign of wear and tear.

HaveBlue’s custom creation is a .22-caliber pistol, formed from a 3D-printed AR-15 (M16) lower receiver, and a normal, commercial upper. In other words, the main body of the gun is plastic, while the chamber — where the bullets are actually struck — is solid metal.

The lower receiver was created using a fairly old school Stratasys 3D printer, using a normal plastic resin. HaveBlue estimates that it cost around $30 of resin to create the lower receiver, but “Makerbots and the other low cost printers exploding onto the market would bring the cost down to perhaps $10.” Commercial, off-the-shelf assault rifle lower receivers are a lot more expensive. If you want to print your own AR-15 lower receiver, HaveBlue has uploaded the schematic to Thingiverse.

HaveBlue tried to use the same lower receiver to make a full-blown .223 AR-15/M16 rifle, but it didn’t work. Funnily enough, he thinks the off-the-shelf parts are causing issues, rather than the 3D-printed part.

While this pistol obviously wasn’t created from scratch using a 3D printer, the interesting thing is that the lower receiver — in a legal sense at least — is what actually constitutes a firearm. Without a lower receiver, the gun would not work; thus, the receiver is the actual legally-controlled part.

In short, this means that people without gun licenses — or people who have had their licenses revoked — could print their own lower receiver and build a complete, off-the-books gun. What a chilling thought.

But hey, that’s the ambivalent nature of technology, the great enabler. In just the last few months, 3D printers have also been used to print organs, blood vessels, and drugs. In a few more years, when 3D printers move beyond plastic resins, who knows what we’ll be able to print.

Old July 28th, 2012 #2
Darius Appleby
Banned

Location: high rainfall coastal strip of the White Continent nation
Arrow law pushes innovation

fascinating

Old July 28th, 2012 #3
DMS

Default CNC Guns

http://www.cncguns.com/downloads.html

AR-15 Lower Receiver
AR-15 A2 Upper Receiver
AR-15 Detachable Handle
AK-47 Receiver Blank
1911 A-1 Frame
SIG P228 Frame
Beretta 92FS/M9 Frame
Ruger 10/22 Receiver
.22 LR Silencer
more...

Quote:
Here are the files you can download for free. Currently there are three different types of files. First format is the SolidWorks E-drawings. This file format will allow anybody to open the files no matter what software you have installed. E-drawings is the most user friendly format since you don't have to have any special 3-D modeling (CAD) software to look at the files. The second format is the solid model file in *.igs format. You must have some sort of 3-D modeling (CAD) software to open this file format. If you are planning on doing the machining I have, you will need the *.igs file. But if you just want to open the file to look at it, you can download the E-drawing. And the last type of files you can download are the blueprints. I don't make blueprints of the solid models I make. So if you need a dimension while working on your project, you will have to reference the model. Later on, I hope to make available other files dealing with my projects...including sketches, setup sheets, programs, etc. Tim at dumpsterCNC made the 1911 solidmodel *.iges file.

My files are free to download, and if you share these files they must remain free!

Old July 28th, 2012 #4
KraftAkt

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMS View Post
HaveBlue’s custom creation is a .22-caliber pistol, formed from a 3D-printed AR-15 (M16) lower receiver, and a normal, commercial upper. In other words, the main body of the gun is plastic, while the chamber — where the bullets are actually struck — is solid metal.
So its not really a fully 3d printed gun. You still need to have the metallic chamber. Wherever you are supposed to get that from.

Old October 18th, 2012 #5
Stjjames

There are commercially available polymer lowers for AR-15's . . . Scar's use polymer lower as well
Alas, the lower is the firearm - the upper can be had handily enough - the lower is whats traceable.

Old October 22nd, 2012 #6
Joe W

Default 80% have been around for a long time

You say that non licensed individualls could get a gun thats untraceable this is true and the low cost is appealing but dont forget you can buy an 80% receiver for a variity of firearms when it comes to the ar it is not that dificult to finish one and from what I have read it is leagel to build a gun on one of these as long as it is for yourself with these restrictions you must do the machining and it may only be left to your spouse or destroyed you can not sell it and it can not be an nfa firearm ie, short bar or fa so they can have a a t7 aluminum receiver for about the same price of a manufactured one with one exception the tooling investment is about 200.00 to complete on a non cnc machine dependent on skill level and level of the finish quality desired not that I am trying to start any argument just pointing out this has been around for several years so I would guess the number on those could be in the millions

By the way my name is Joe and I just signed up I would like to say hello

Old December 19th, 2012 #7
Roy Wagahuski
professional critter

Saw a very recent news headline about how it exploded upon its sixth shot.

I've never trusted plastic composite firearms, but at least a glock 21 goes a couple thousand rounds before blowing your whole hand off.

Old March 25th, 2013 #8
MikeQuigley
Banned

I believe the gun grabbers have created a monster.

Tags
arms gun 3d printing

Thread