Vanguard News Network
Pieville
VNN Media
VNN Digital Library
VNN Broadcasts

Old March 18th, 2006 #1
Action Alert

Default The Art Of War by Sun Tzu

If this has been covered, I haven't found it on VNNF. I just bought a copy of this book at Half Price Books. It is translated by Thomas Cleary. This is a book about stratagy the text of which is about 2000 years old. I had heard alot about it and finally decided to buy it. It looks very easy to read. Kinda like reading fortune cookies. Has anyone else here read this? I have yet to have the time to delve into it in detail.
http://artofwar.thetao.info/

Old March 18th, 2006 #2
Action Alert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppelhaken
When I read "The price of stamps will rise ever higher" it changed my life.

No wonder generals, politicians and businessmen consider it indispensable.
I read "Homer's Odessey" because I thought it was about a minivan this guy rented...

Old March 19th, 2006 #3
Quietus
Berserker for Wotan

In my opinion, all literature on strategy should be studied.
one should pry round
for uncertain is the witting
that there be no foeman sitting,
within, before one on the floor." -Odin, from the Hávamál (Olive Bray's translation)

Old March 19th, 2006 #4
Sunwheel

I would also recommend Carl von Clausewitz "On War".

Old March 19th, 2006 #5
John Bender
Banned

The Art of War is a great work. The content can be applied not only to warfare but also as a way to gain the upper hand in the business world and personal relationships. That's why many corporate/business types read this book.

Some good excerpts:

"All warfare is based on deception. Hence, when able to attack, we must seem unable; when using our forces, we must seem inactive; when we are near, we must make the enemy believe we are far away; when far away, we must make him believe we are near. Hold out baits to entice the enemy. Feign disorder, and crush him."

"Regard your soldiers as your children, and they will follow you into the deepest valleys. Look on them as your own beloved sons, and they will stand by you even unto death!"

"In the practical art of war, the best thing of all is to take the enemy's country whole and intact; to shatter and destroy it is not so good. So, too, it is better to recapture an army entire than to destroy it."

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

"If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle."

Old March 19th, 2006 #6
SUNOFSPARTA
MIA

Default Gi Sop

The Art of War

First semester West Point War College requirement.It's been read more than the Bible or Playboy by nearly every Command Officer in the filed for the last 30 years.

Old March 20th, 2006 #7
Antiochus Epiphanes
Ἀντίοχος Ἐπιφανὴς

The art of war, is a great work of philosophy. As strategy it's just another good book. Read it along with the Chuang Tzu

http://www.religiousworlds.com/taoism/cz-text2.html

Julius Evola wrote a good monograph on Taoism and linked it up to the ancient Aryan traditions

Thread