Vanguard News Network
Pieville
VNN Media
VNN Digital Library
VNN Broadcasts

Old May 14th, 2011 #1
Michael Ellis

Default Chinese Resturants

Have to admit I do like some of the food at Chinese buffets. So when my family wants to go I go along. What I cannot stand is the attitude of the staff. I almost always notice no matter what such place I go to, they all stand around staring at you while you eat, usually scowling. It's like they can't wait for you to leave. You get up to go get a refill on your drink and someone clears off your table.

Usually the staff all seem to have just gotten off the boat, or whatever. Few speak English but boy are they good at the non verbal stuff..

Old July 12th, 2011 #2
John Clearing

Lightbulb

Stir fry is great. I'd either find a friendlier restaurant, or look up recipes for your favorite meal and share with friends. The cooks at chinese restaurants aren't anything special. Anybody can fry and glaze meat and chop vegetables just the same. I don't buy any of the hype about "authentic" cooking requiring an authentic Chinese or Mexican or which nationality the food is famous for.
Grocery stores sell a lot of packaged mixes and bottled glazes such as Hoisin (plum) sauce, Sesame oil (use sparingly for that awesome nutty taste on steamed broccoli or fried dumplings), and soy sauce.

If you live near a Ghengis Grill, go there. It's a nationwide chain with amazingly good food and upscale "party" atmosphere. You get a bowl after drinks are served, then wait through a line to select the raw ingredients you want (refrigerated meats and steaks, vegetables, eggs, sauces, spices) and hand them off to a group of cooks around a big grill. They bring it to your table and you can get all-you-can-eat and a drink for less than $15 a person.

Thread