Vanguard News Network
VNN Media
VNN Digital Library
VNN Reader Mail
VNN Broadcasts

Old March 22nd, 2009 #1
Heather Blue

Default Letters from Steve and Simon

As you know Steve Whittle and Simon Sheppard are the two British men who were being tried for hate speech in England and came to the United States seeking political asylum. Their web site is http://www.heretical.com/

This letter started with a P. S. "This was "blocked" by the jail and we've only just received it from the vault. Apologies for the delay in replying."
/
c/o Santa Ana Jail
P. O. Box 22003
Santa Ana, CA 92701
22 August,2008

Dear Heather,

Many thanks for your letters and money orders, which are much appreciated by both of us. Our biggest cost is postage as we work through the letters we receive, wishing we could reply quicker and at greater length. Unfortunately, jail isn't the best place for efficient work!

You are right about the controlled media and free speech, and the lack of attention given our case seems to prove that we did the right thing. If they don't want us to talk about it, it obviously doesn't fit their liberal agenda.

But Alex's words will, I hope, prove prophetic and this era will one day seem like an aberration, looked back on with sorrow, anger and incredulity.
Thanks again, and good luck in your own work,

The best,
Steve Whittle

On the other side of the paper Simon wrote his note - apparently a few days ago.

Dear Heather,

Many thanks once again for your great support. I think it would be ok to quote my letters on VNN with your discretion. We are both very grateful for the fantastic level of support we have received.

We have enough in our prison account now to be going on with, our most pressing need is for an address not far from here where we can go to, at least temporarily, if we manage to get bail. Neither of us have been in the US before and need to find our way around. Being in Kentucky I don't think you are able to help.

What you can do? Keep us in mind on the Internet forums and keep in touch!

Best wishes,
Simon Sheppard

I was so happy to hear from them.

Does anyone on VNN live in the Santa Ana area or know anyone maybe close by who could help Steve and Simon find a place to stay? I believe I read somewhere a hearing is set for them tomorrow, March 23rd. They may get out of jail tomorrow or sometime soon and could use a friend. I hope there is someone around who can help the guys. Keeping my finger crossed.

Last edited by Heather Blue; March 23rd, 2009 at 12:12 AM.

Old March 23rd, 2009 #2
McKinley
coast to coast WN

bump.................................

Kentckyanna True News

"What do you expect? All we got on this team are a bunch a Jews, spics, niggers, pansies -- and a booger-eatin' moron!"

Tanner Boyle - short stop for the Bad News Bears.

Old March 23rd, 2009 #3
Bev
drinking tea

"The Main Hearing on March 10 only lasted 90 minutes and concerned documentation.

The Report on the Hearing on March 12 follows:-

To-day the Heretical Two’s asylum hearing proceeded before the U. S. Immigration Judge, Her Honour (I suspect that should be Honor!) Judge Rose Peters. Simon Sheppard and Steve Whittle (who were brought into court in handcuffs and leg irons, which, they confirmed, is standard procedure when asylum seekers are held in detention pending the hearing of their case, and not victimisation of themselves) presented their own cases, as their attorney, Bruce Leichty, had withdrawn from the case by leave of the Court, since he was not satisfied with the (substantial) retainer that he had received from friends of Simon and Steve.

The U. S. government was represented by its attorney, Miss Myers.

The Court heard evidence from Simon and Steve about their experiences at the hands of the British police and Crown Prosecution Service, and also from their English counsel, Adrian Davies, who gave evidence about the relevant provisions of English law (the Public Order Act 1986, as amended) and the English Court’s assertion of jurisdiction over web pages hosted on a server located in Torrance, California.

The hearing was conducted in a very fair, courteous and thorough manner, though inevitably Simon and Steve were at some disadvantage, because they are not lawyers, and are moreover being held in prison, where they have had very limited facilities to prepare for the hearing.

After a lengthy sitting, the Court adjourned to 1 p.m., West Coast time, on 24th March, when Simon and Steve will address the Court on their own behalf, and Miss Myers will make representations on behalf of the U. S. government
."

Last edited by Bev; March 25th, 2009 at 05:55 PM.

Old March 23rd, 2009 #4
reo
Banned

So the lawyer kept the money and walked off?

Old March 24th, 2009 #5
Heather Blue

I spent a good part of the day on the computer scanning the Orange County Register in Santa Ana and some other news sources trying to find news on Simon and Steve's hearing. I did not. I don't know the category for anything like that, anyway. Asylum seekers? Immigration cases? Homeland Security issues?

If anyone can find out what happened yesterday would you post it here?

Thanks

Old March 25th, 2009 #6
Harry Flash
Sexist Bastard

Thanks for the update, Heather. Keep 'em coming.

Unfortunately so many supporters are a long way away from Santa Ana.

Old March 25th, 2009 #7
Bev
drinking tea

To-day, Tuesday, 24 March, HHJ Peters heard closing arguments from Miss Myers, counsel for the U. S. government, and Messrs Sheppard and Whittle on their own behalf. At the conclusion of the argument, HHJ Peters reserved judgment, which she will hand down in writing in due course. Since the case of the Heretical Two involves unusual questions of fact and law and more documentary evidence than is usual in asylum hearings, the judge’s decision to reserve her judgment was not surprising. It will probably be delivered within 30 days. In the meanwhile, Messrs Sheppard and Whittle will remain in administrative detention at Santa Ana jail.

Old March 26th, 2009 #8
Heather Blue

Thanks to both of you.

I am glad to get the report, odinsgal.

Administrative detention? Hmmm...that does not sound as if the Brits are locked up with a bunch of hardened criminals - or Mexican trash. That is good, I think. So, something will be determined within 30 days? Hopefully, they will be released. But I am still worried about some place for them to stay. I do hope it will not be difficult and they will have access to their own personal funds and other things.

Hope they get back to their web site and give us the news about everything. That would be a real victory and very exciting.

Tags
rahowa, wns

Thread