VNN Digital Library
VNN Reader Mail
VNN Broadcasts

Go Back   Vanguard News Network Forum > Loxist Culture > Music
Donate Register Multimedia Blogs Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Login

Thread Display Modes Share
Old December 25th, 2017 #1
Erik T. White

Default One Christmas carol, from a German carol, original German melody,lyrics in German, lyrics in English on this recording

Even people who were not religious at university loved the German melodic lines and "echo" composition:

It was a favorite also by the Wehrmacht as it is a carol originally in German, and the melody is German. It is from "A Robert Shaw Christmas" album, Robert Shaw having come to conduct the Atlanta Symphony Orchestra for many years, winning the ASO its first Grammy award. I'm almost sure it was for their performance of Hector Berlioz' "Requiem," Berlioz himself an atheist.

Edit: Robert Shaw came to the University of Georgia twice when I was an undergraduate. I performed on the trumpet on those concerts as a member of the university orchestra. I was also selected to perform under his baton as a high school trumpet player when the Atlanta Symphony Orchestra needed eight trumpet players for an antiphonal composition.

One can find the German history of the carol here:

http://www3.cpdl.org/wiki/index.php/...7_(Traditional)

14/88

Erik

Last edited by Erik T. White; December 25th, 2017 at 10:52 PM. Reason: more info

Thread