VNN Media
VNN Digital Library
VNN Reader Mail
VNN Broadcasts

Old January 1st, 2011 #1
RickHolland
Bread and Circuses

Default 100 years of the 1911 pistol

The model 1911 was invented by John Browning, a brilliant engineer that brought several innovations to the firearm and ammunition field. It was one project out of many for John Browning, but one that changed the world.

Going back to its inception, Browning created the 45 ACP cartridge in 1904 specifically for an early experimental version of what later became the model 1911.

Because he worked with Colt at the time, the cartridge and the handgun were both named after Colt. The cartridge was named 45 ACP and stood for Colt Automatic Pistol and the handgun was simply the Colt Model 1905.

45 ACP Model 1911 -- 100 Years of Excellence! - Associated Content from Yahoo! - associatedcontent.com

Only force rules. Force is the first law - Adolf H. http://erectuswalksamongst.us/ http://tinyurl.com/cglnpdj Man has become great through struggle - Adolf H. http://tinyurl.com/mo92r4z Strength lies not in defense but in attack - Adolf H.

Old January 5th, 2011 #2
Nikolas Försberg
White Diamond Death

I'm a collector of firearms, and between the arms of my collection are three pistols in caliber Colt 1911 .45 ACP. I have several other pistols based on the design of John Bronwning.

Old March 6th, 2011 #4
Fred
Commie Killer

Well,
I am thinking about buying a 45 ACP. I was considering the Glock G21. I have shot the colt 1911 and had a hard time being accurate plus the pistol occasionally jammed. I have never shot a Glock 21 but with the reputation it has I figured it might be better for me than a colt.

Any thoughts form anyone?

I was also looking at the Glock 31. Is there any advantage to shooting the magnum round. Is this the same same 357 round I would put in a Colt king Cobra?

Old March 6th, 2011 #5
OTPTT
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred View Post
Well,
I am thinking about buying a 45 ACP. I was considering the Glock G21.

I was also looking at the Glock 31. Is there any advantage to shooting the magnum round. Is this the same same 357 round I would put in a Colt king Cobra?
I have owned at least two Glock 21 pistols. I like them although they are as large as a large frame 1911.

I would suggest you look at the Springfield Armory's 45XD or 45XDm model pistols. Has many improvements over the Glock 21. I have a 45XD that I really like. 1911-like safety improvements as well as performance improvements.

XD45 Compact Has 4" barrel and comes with with full size clip that makes it a full size pistol. Also comes with a compact clip that makes it a compact sized pistol. The compact clip is about an inch shorter when in the pistol butt.

XD(m)45 Newer version of the XD45 that comes with a match barrel by default. Some improvements but more expensive. Has modern styling.

I'd choose an XD45 over both the Glock 21 and XD(m)45 if it were me.

The .357 Sig is a shortened .357 round. Not the same as the .357 revolver round. Don't buy a .357 Sig firearm as you won't be able to find ammunition for it in a pinch. It's a one off cartridge that didn't quite take off.

Old March 6th, 2011 #6
OTPTT
Banned

This is the Springfield Armory XD45. It's a dark earth color. The compact has a 4" barrel which I like and also comes in a 5" barrel.

I thought I wanted a black one but this dark earth color was the only one available at the last show. It's a little darker than appears in this image and is quite attractive. It's actually a bit more compact that one might think from this image.

You can see the full-sized clip in the butt and how it extends the pistol to make a full-sized grip. Of course the barrel stays the same size.

Much better pistol than the Glock in my opinion. Guide rod has a dual spring on it as opposed to one with the Glock. Trigger is made of metal and the pistol has a 1911 style butt safety.

It's also more accurate generally than the Glock 21. The the beefed up guide spring takes out some of the energy that would be felt in a Glock 21 .45acp.

You can easily conceal this with the smaller clip in it and keep the larger clip in your pant pocket while having the benefit of a full sized .45acp at your disposal.

Old March 6th, 2011 #7
OTPTT
Banned

You can't beat the style of a 1911 pistol. If money were no object I'd own several, but at this time function and the time we're now in dictate a different tack when buying firearms.

Every .45 I own gives me the ability to carry at least 41 cartridges of .45acp ammunition. A traditional 1911 comes with 7 round clips. The newer polymer 45s give one almost twice the ammunition carrying capacity of the 1911. Also something to think about when one considers the number of niggers carrying high capacity auto loaders.

Old March 6th, 2011 #8
OTPTT
Banned

Here's a better picture of the XD45 compact in 'Dark Earth' with a 5" barrel.

Old March 14th, 2011 #9
Longbaugh

I hung up my Les Baer an Wilson in favour of Smith & Wesson M&Ps.

Old March 29th, 2011 #10
Brooklyn Rick

I have a Ed Brown Classic Custom .45 that eats everything I feed it, and is very accurate.
I too am very fond of the 1911 design and I think it will be around for a long time.

Old March 29th, 2011 #11
ray bateson
baппed

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTPTT View Post
The .357 Sig is a shortened .357 round. Not the same as the .357 revolver round. Don't buy a .357 Sig firearm as you won't be able to find ammunition for it in a pinch. It's a one off cartridge that didn't quite take off.
It's really a .40 S&W case necked-down for a 9mm pistol bullet, which was made to market autos offering the ballistic performance of the 357 magnum 125-grain load from a 4" barrel revolver -- the 'gold-standard' of defensive handguns, or so it's claimed to be.

But when shooting at attackers with unusually dense bodies, particularly the modern nog, you need a bullet that will penetrate the hide, break bones and still blast through the heart/lungs.

So if anything, they should've made the .40 S&W bigger. But then... that'd just be called the .45 ACP. Heh....

Old March 29th, 2011 #12
L. Edwards
Migrant White worker

Default Small design weakness of the 1911 .45

I have a 1911 style pistol. It is a real mule, but one of the delicate design features that I would like to see corrected is the pistol grip bushings. What happens is the bushings are very small and delicate -.236 inches and are seated in only .1 inch of aluminum and everything is in single shear. The pistol grips take the load of the recoil and beat the hell out of the bushings. They only make one oversize for the next bushing and then you’ll almost run out of edge margin material, so it’s going to be a special custom made bushing or another receiver.

They should have had two U shaped lips on the receiver where the pistol grips are and incorporate a metal tongue on the both sides of the plastic grips that slides into U, sort of like the sheet metal bolt cover slides onto the receiver of a FN FAL. Then you could made different thickness of grips for different sizes of hands. Then it would be indestructible.

I like talking about the little things, it's the only thing I know anything about.

Old March 30th, 2011 #13
Longbaugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray bateson View Post

So if anything, they should've made the .40 S&W bigger.
"They" did. It's called the 10mm Auto.

Old March 31st, 2011 #14
ray bateson
baппed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longbaugh View Post
"They" did. It's called the 10mm Auto.
I'm aware of the 10mm, and the point was utterly lost on you. Don't tell me I gotta take you to school, too.

Old April 1st, 2011 #15
Longbaugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray bateson View Post
I'm aware of the 10mm, and the point was utterly lost on you. Don't tell me I gotta take you to school, too.
You didn't make a point; you just babbled.

When you actually get out of your armchair and shoot someone, then you can spout off.

Until then, go fuck yourself.

Old April 3rd, 2011 #16
Simo Häyhä

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred View Post
Well,
I am thinking about buying a 45 ACP. I was considering the Glock G21. I have shot the colt 1911 and had a hard time being accurate plus the pistol occasionally jammed. I have never shot a Glock 21 but with the reputation it has I figured it might be better for me than a colt.

I have shot the Glock 21 (1st gen, though); it's a nice gun, pretty reliable (as are all Glocks). The only malfunctions I had with it were misfires, which are ammo related, so no point blaming it on the gun. It's a great home defense and open carry choice, in my opinion, but concerning concealed carry you would be in for a little hassle, since it is, after all, a full size glock pistol.

Btw, if I were you I wouldn't judge the 1911 based on a single one you've fired, there are tons of different 1911's out there - Government, Commander, etc. - made by different brands. If one didn't work properly then there is definately one, at least, that will.

Quote:
What OTPTT and ray said: the .357 SIG round is really not all that common, plus it will break your bankroll. As ray said, it's basically just a 9mm projectile fit into a .40 SW casing. I particularly find this caliber to be...I don't know, kind of gimmicky, if you ask me (never shot it, though).

PS: Can we PLEASE stop saying "clips"? Clips are what you reload a Mosin-Nagint with; pistols (and semi-autos in general, with the obvious exception of the M1 Garand) are reloaded with MAGAZINES.

Old April 4th, 2011 #17
America First

Default When you need 100% reliability and no excuse's along with your safety.

http://www.hk-usa.com/civilian_produ...45_general.asp

We cannot allow the natural passions and prejudices of other peoples
to lead our country to destruction.

-Charles A. Lindbergh
http://www.fff.org/freedom/0495c.asp

Old April 4th, 2011 #18
Simo Häyhä

^ Might want to suggest something a little more...affordable, lol.

SIG and HK make some very high-end stuff, but conversely their shtick is overpriced as fuck.

Old April 4th, 2011 #19
Longbaugh

Going the HK route, the 45c is the one to get.

Just because it's more than you're willing to pay, does not mean that it's overpriced.

FNP-45 USG is another option.

Old April 4th, 2011 #20
Simo Häyhä

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longbaugh View Post
Going the HK route, the 45c is the one to get.
What about the 40c? Isn't that a nice option as well?

And, if you're looking for compact/sub-compact .45's, how about the Glock 30?

Quote:
Just because it's more than you're willing to pay, does not mean that it's overpriced.
Good point, but still, I cannot help but to feel like you're paying more for the brand name than for the firearm itself; kind of like Ipods, if you ask me, they cost 8 dollars each to manufacture yet you won't get one for less than 200 bucks because there's an apple logo on it.

Quote:
FNP-45 USG is another option.
Great suggestion, it's really a SIG for less.

Btw, what about the SW MP's? Heard good things about them, though I've also heard that the QC for the compact ones is disappointing.

Thread