VNN Digital Library
VNN Reader Mail
VNN Broadcasts

Old January 20th, 2020 #81
Ray Allan

Default Are UFOs us from the future?

Are the aliens us? UFOs may be piloted by time-travelling humans, book argues

Quote:
Unidentified flying objects (UFOs) have captured the public's attention over the decades. As exoplanet detection is on the rise, why not consider that star-hopping visitors from afar might be buzzing through our friendly skies by taking an interstellar off-ramp to Earth?

On the other hand, could those piloting UFOs be us - our future progeny that have mastered the landscape of time and space? Perhaps those reports of people coming into contact with strange beings represent our distant human descendants, returning from the future to study us in their own evolutionary past.

The idea of us being them has been advanced before. But in a recent book, "Identified Flying Objects: A Multidisciplinary Scientific Approach to the UFO Phenomenon" (Masters Creative LLC, 2019), takes a fresh look at this prospect, offering some thought-provoking proposals.

Multidisciplinary approach

The book was written by Michael Masters, a professor of biological anthropology at Montana Technological University in Butte. Masters thinks that - given the accelerating pace of change in science, technology, and engineering - it is likely that humans of the distant future could develop the knowledge and machinery to return to the past.
https://www.space.com/aliens-time-tr...ypothesis.html

--Henry A. Kissinger, jewish politician and advisor

Old February 22nd, 2020 #82
Ray Allan

Very Large Array, New Mexico

Astronomers to sweep entire sky for signs of extraterrestrial life

Quote:
Astronomers will sweep the entire sky for signs of extraterrestrial life for the first time, using 28 giant radio telescopes in an unprecedented hunt for alien civilisations.

The project is a collaboration between the privately-funded SETI Institute and the Very Large Array Observatory in New Mexico, one of the world's most powerful radio observatories. Gaining real-time access to all the data gathered at VLA is considered a major coup for scientists hunting extraterrestrial lifeforms and an indication that the field has "gone mainstream."

Normal astronomy operations will continue at VLA, which was featured in the 1997 film Contact, but under the new arrangement all data will be duplicated and fed through a dedicated supercomputer that will search for beeps, squawks or other signatures of distant technology.

"The VLA is being used for an all-sky survey and we kind of go along for the ride," said Andrew Siemion, director of the Berkeley Seti centre. "It allows us to in parallel conduct a Seti survey."

"Determining whether we are alone in the universe as technologically capable life is among the most compelling questions in science, and [our] telescopes can play a major role in answering it," said Tony Beasley, director of The National Radio Astronomy Observatory, which runs the VLA.
https://www.theguardian.com/Science/...rrestrial-life

Old October 30th, 2020 #83
Ray Allan

Default Foo Fighters (no, not the music group)

I can't vouch for the authenticity of these images.

Old October 31st, 2020 #84
Ray Allan

Old November 3rd, 2020 #85
Ray Allan

More than half of all sunlike stars in the Milky Way may have a habitable planet

Quote:
Our Milky Way galaxy abounds with potentially Earth-like planets, a new study suggests.

On average, each sunlike star in the Milky Way harbors between 0.4 and 0.9 rocky planets in its "habitable zone," the just-right range of orbital distances where liquid water could be stable on a world's surface, researchers have found.

About 7% of the Milky Way's 200 billion or so stars are "G dwarfs" like the sun, so that's a lot of potentially Earth-like real estate.

"This is the first time that all the pieces have been put together to provide a reliable measurement of the number of potentially habitable planets in the galaxy," study co-author Jeff Coughlin, an exoplanet researcher at the SETI (Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence) Institute in Mountain View, California said in a statement.

"This is a key term of the Drake Equation, used to estimate the number of communicable civilizations," said Coughlin, who also directs the Kepler Science Office, which is dedicated to analyzing data gathered by NASA's planet-hunting Kepler space telescope. "We're one step closer on the long road to finding out if we are alone in the cosmos."
https://www.space.com/habitable-plan...tars-milky-way

Old November 10th, 2020 #86
Ray Allan

Old November 21st, 2020 #87
Ray Allan

Default "Wow!" signal source found?

Sun-like Star Identified As the Potential Source of the Wow! Signal

https://www.discovermagazine.com/the...the-wow-signal

Old November 22nd, 2020 #88
Ray Allan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Allan View Post
Sun-like Star Identified As the Potential Source of the Wow! Signal

https://www.discovermagazine.com/the...the-wow-signal
According to the article, this star is 1800 light-years away in the constellation Sagittarius. That means the Wow Signal, if it really was intelligently-produced, was sent approximately 1,800 years ago, or during the time of the Roman Empire on Earth. That would mean any hypothetical civilization on a planet orbiting this star had reached a technological level equivalent to our own today. Perhaps they detected Earth and its biosphere of oxygen and liquid water and transmitted this signal in our direction in an attempt to contact another civilization much like we are doing with SETI now. Interesting to speculate, at least.

Old November 22nd, 2020 #89
Paul Anthony
Banned

My Grandmother who lived through WWII in Austria, had some interesting stories about what was going on in Antarctica. She was telling these stories as far back as the 1950s, long before internet or TV for most people living in her village.

A lot of people laughed and made jokes, and I didn't find out or hear of this until around 2005.

Her husband, my Grandfather, served in the SS, but I don't believe he ever went to Antarctica!

Old November 22nd, 2020 #90
Ray Allan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Anthony View Post
My Grandmother who lived through WWII in Austria, had some interesting stories about what was going on in Antarctica. She was telling these stories as far back as the 1950s, long before internet or TV for most people living in her village.

A lot of people laughed and made jokes, and I didn't find out or hear of this until around 2005.

Her husband, my Grandfather, served in the SS, but I don't believe he ever went to Antarctica!
You're obviously referring to the German Antarctic Expedition of 1938-39. Concerning the stories of the Germans fleeing to Antarctica after World War 2, setting up a secret base and encountering aliens there, I have no evidence to prove it.

https://www.warhistoryonline.com/ins...ntarctica.html

Old November 22nd, 2020 #91
Paul Anthony
Banned

Quote:
You're obviously referring to the German Antarctic Expedition of 1938-39. Concerning the stories of the Germans fleeing to Antarctica after World War 2, setting up a secret base and encountering aliens there, I have no evidence to prove it.

How my Grandmother had knowlege of what happened I really don't know?! I sometimes wonder if my Grandfather or one of my Great Uncles told her?! Even if someone in the village had a black and white TV back then I doubt they were talking about Nazis in Antarctica?!?!

Old November 22nd, 2020 #92
Nikola Bijeliti
fluxmaster

Quote:

According to the book Hitler in Argentina: The Documented Truth of Hitler's Escape from Berlin, after the war, Don Angel Alcazar de Velasco traveled to Hitler's home in Patagonia to meet with him. The plane first stopped in Buenos Aires, then took off, flew over the ocean, and then back over land, so Angel mistakenly thought he was in Antarctica.
All these ideas…are chained to the existence of men, to who[m]…they owe their existence. Precisely in this case the preservation of these definite races and men is the precondition for the existence of these ideas. --Adolf Hitler

Old November 24th, 2020 #93
Paul Anthony
Banned

Default Any ideas what this is??

Mysterious Metal Monolith Discovered in Remote Area of Utah Desert:

https://www.infowars.com/posts/myste...f-utah-desert/

Old November 24th, 2020 #94
Ray Allan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikola Bijeliti View Post
According to the book Hitler in Argentina: The Documented Truth of Hitler's Escape from Berlin, after the war, Don Angel Alcazar de Velasco traveled to Hitler's home in Patagonia to meet with him. The plane first stopped in Buenos Aires, then took off, flew over the ocean, and then back over land, so Angel mistakenly thought he was in Antarctica.
What an idiot, thinking Antarctica had vegetation, towns and houses. More like he was hoping his readers were idiots too, to believe it.

Old November 25th, 2020 #95
Paul Anthony
Banned

Prince Philip is a 'devoted reader of books about UFOs and aliens and has spent years building an extensive collection'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ooks-UFOs.html

Old December 19th, 2020 #96
Ray Allan

Default It's not aliens until...it's aliens

Alien Hunters Discover Mysterious Signal from Proxima Centauri

https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...xima-centauri/

Nothing to get too worked up about, I think. Odds are it's a natural phenomenon or as-yet unexplained terrestrial radio interference.

Old December 19th, 2020 #97
Dawn Cannon

Quote:
Alien Hunters Discover Mysterious Signal from Proxima Centauri
Now, speaking to Scientific American, the scientists behind the discovery caution there is still much work to be done

The detection was made by a $100 million project called Breakthrough Listen, led by Siemion and funded by tech billionaire Yuri Milner under the umbrella of Milner’s Breakthrough Initiatives. The goal of this multiyear endeavor—which began in 2015 with a star-studded announcement attended by Stephen Hawking and other space-science luminaries—is to buy observing time on radio telescopes around the world to search the skies for evidence of technological civilizations. That pursuit, of course, is more commonly known as the Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence (SETI). To date, no such evidence has conclusively been found despite more than a half century of modest-but-steady SETI activity, with any potential signals almost always ruled out as originating from satellites orbiting Earth or other human-caused interference.

Give us more money.

Old December 21st, 2020 #98
Crowe

SETI is a huge waste of money. They're not just looking for intelligent life, but further limiting it by focusing on radio communications. So, what they're really looking for is a civilization that's sophisticated enough to use radio communications, but not advanced enough to make radio communications obsolete. The odds are basically zero. The odds are probably higher for someone to come here and land on the White House lawn.

Old December 21st, 2020 #99
Ray Allan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowe View Post
SETI is a huge waste of money. They're not just looking for intelligent life, but further limiting it by focusing on radio communications. So, what they're really looking for is a civilization that's sophisticated enough to use radio communications, but not advanced enough to make radio communications obsolete. The odds are basically zero. The odds are probably higher for someone to come here and land on the White House lawn.
Intelligent alien civilizations may be broadcasting all around us, but human technology isn't advanced enough to detect it yet, because these aliens have probably advanced beyond electromagnetic radio communications. The chances of another civilization using the same technology as us at the same time in a nearby location in the galaxy is very remote. In the case of the alleged Proxima Centauri signal, it's looking more and more like it's either a satellite in geosynchronous orbit, or the Parkes radio dish may have inadvertently picked up a signal from the super-secret CIA/NSA Pine Gap intelligence station, also located in Australia. Very low probability this is ET calling.

Old December 21st, 2020 #100
Crowe

Anything out there smarter than humans is probably using something like this, Ray. Or something inconceivable.

https://phys.org/news/2020-06-techni...e-phonons.html

Quote:
Quantum communication—where information is sent through particles, typically entangled photons—has the potential to become the ultimate secure communication channel. Not only is it nearly impossible to eavesdrop on quantum communication, those who try will also leave evidence of their indiscretions.
I don't see any wisdom in seeking out other species, and I agree with Stephen Hawking that we should keep our heads low, and not make ourselves "interesting". We got too many fucking problems of our own to sort out. I certainly wouldn't trust (((current powers))) to faithfully negotiate with visitors.

Last edited by Crowe; December 21st, 2020 at 04:50 PM.

Thread