VNN Media
VNN Digital Library
VNN Reader Mail
VNN Broadcasts

Old July 2nd, 2013 #141
Crowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by keifer View Post
When I took a round in the forearm from a .357 magnum there was no pain involved. There was just a slight sensation of heat in that immediate area. If not for that I would not have known anything had happened aside from the chaos. No doubt the fire rated door of the apartment slowed down the round, maybe even broke it apart, maybe even redirected from its intended course which was my head from a mere 18 inches away. Or maybe the nigger just couldn't shoot. What I will add to this conversation is echoed in many of my other posts, and that is you do not get to decide the situation, the situation chooses you. When that time comes it gets much more complicated than gel targets. And still yet, how often does someone take down a deer by shooting through a door. There are no end to the variables, chance, and shear luck. What I have concluded is what these conversations always seem to wind down to in conclusion to anyway, and that is go as big as you can effectively deliver a defense. Gun control means what you can shoot affectively with one hand. A two handed grip is a good sign that things are going in your favor.
You outlined a great reason why I keep a shotgun near each doorway entering/exiting my house. Never know who is going to knock on the door or what their intentions might be. Most of the time its probably someone trying to sell something, or a Jehova witness, and a simple "Fuck-off" is all you need to say.

There have been 2 times I've had some suspicious characters knock on my door, who I observed snooping around my yard before knocking and saying hi. Those are the ones you let know that you mean business. Too many fucking pill heads running around these days looking to steal whatever they can get their hands on, anything from mowers, to scrap metal, or ripping the copper line set out of your HVAC unit. Being trusting is for the weak.

Old December 17th, 2013 #142
dirtymike

snubby never jams and dont toss brass with your prints on it :0 powder on the hands is a problem with all weapons but a wallmart bag over your hands will eliminate that Happy hunting :0

Old December 19th, 2013 #143
Crowe

Mineral spirits are a 100% guaranteed fool proof way to remove gunpowder residue from your hands. If it can remove dried-on liquid nails from your hands, it can remove anything.

Old December 19th, 2013 #144
Nate Richards

just use the latex gloves it's cheap. Nitrile if you're all hoity-toity.

Old December 19th, 2013 #145
notmenomore

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate Richards View Post
just use the latex gloves it's cheap. Nitrile if you're all hoity-toity.
Latex gloves is the way to go. They're also great for loading and storing magazines.

A "nice to have" is some baggies with full mags inside that have never been touched, loaded with ammo that's never been touched. A scrap of paper can note the caliber, quantity, and no-print status. A couple pairs of gloves nearby affords the possibility of uncontaminated use and re-use.

Old July 4th, 2020 #146
Jimsouth

12 Gauge Coach Gun or a 500 with 00 Buck. Smooth bore - - - No ballistics. Although a firing pin can be traced to a particular spent round.

Old July 4th, 2020 #147
Jimsouth

[QUOTE=Charles;412039]32s and 380s are women's guns man. I assume that you are not female. Neither of them is really powerful enough. Snub nosed guns are for women also.

Revolvers are "always" the most dependable handgun. And SA more dependable than DA
Snub nose, well, my CA Bulldog .44 is not a woman's gun.

Old July 4th, 2020 #148
Jimsouth

I always carried either the CA Bulldog .44 or the Firestar .45. Both are fairly heavy, the Firestar the heaviest ( even with the padded shoulder holster ). I had moved on to my little CA Off Duty .38; but have since began to carry a Ruger .327 magnum. Hits like a .357, and so much lighter. Hey, ya get older ( if you're lucky ), and you want something that's easier to handle. · In 2008 Ruger and Federal introduced the.327 Federal Magnum. This.32-caliber cartridge boasted impressive ballistics that approach.357 Magnum ballistic levels and was intended to be a powerful personal-defense cartridge

Old July 18th, 2020 #149
Ray Allan

This snubby revolver versus small auto debate will probably go on forever, just like the 9mm vs. .45 one. It boils down to personal preference and what works best for the individual.

--Henry A. Kissinger, jewish politician and advisor

Old July 19th, 2020 #150
Tony Boone

.40S&W solves the 9v45v38 issue.
21 cartridges (2 magazines plus one in chamber) is always better than 5/6 shot revolver.

Old July 24th, 2020 #151
Crowe

I got a Colt 1911 Commander model, it's a more compact version, and better for concealed carry.

I dropped it off to get some trijicon night sights put on it. It's gonna need some machining work done to it too. It was already modified before I got it, so I'm just personalizing it for keeps.

Revolvers are great, don't get me wrong, if you need a caliber that can drop a charging grizzly bear dead in its tracks, like .460 or .500 magnum, etc. I used to have a .460, they're really fun to shoot.

They do make .500 S&W snub nose revolvers, but those are like $1200-$1400. I'd consider getting one if I could buy one at half that price. The ones with 6 inch barrels are cheaper than the snubs. I rented one to shoot at the range and the recoil isn't quite as bad as I expected it to be. Still a hell of a kick, but I was expecting it to be worse. It's definitely a man's gun, and not a girly .380 auto.

Old July 24th, 2020 #152
Crowe

Something you need to consider about carrying firearms, is if people know you got $1400 at your side, that will serve the opposite purpose and actually make you a target. Most people who'd carry those kinda pieces are the same people who like showing them off and boasting that they got one. When people ask me if I carry, I tell them I don't feel the need to, even though I got one on me.

Thread