VNN Media
VNN Digital Library
VNN Reader Mail
VNN Broadcasts

Old July 26th, 2009 #1
Alex Linder
Administrator

Default Taurus' The Judge

The Judge fires both .45 caliber and .410 shotgun shells.

Old July 27th, 2009 #2
N.B. Forrest

I'd like to see that smokepole blast open a nigger's cranial septic tank....

Old July 27th, 2009 #3
ray bateson
baппed

The ballistics with the new model, 3" barrel, using 3" 000 buck are very similar to five lead balls from a colt navy, averaging 900 fps per pellet muzzle velocity. This is beautiful. Taurus does have their fair share of issues, but no more than other name brands today. Most of the "old school" pistoleros and regular taurus haters on the gun forums just mock the whole concept of the judge.

Bottom line: The judge magnum has five pellets each of 000 buck in each chamber... Thats a load of 25 .36 caliber balls that can be unloaded on target in 3 seconds. That's faster than a semi-auto pistol with an extended magazine could deliver. Nobody's standing up to a barrage like that.

"For its size and weight nothing is so deadly as the round ball of pure lead when driven at fairly good velocity," Keith wrote.

Old July 27th, 2009 #4
John Cassidy
Homeward Yankee

Default sorry to dissent

I'm sorry to dissent, Gentleman as I respect you both, but the Taurus judge is a bad choice for self defense.

Firstly, a ball is the minimum size a solid projectile of a given caliber can be and still fly with reasonable effectiveness, and this means that a ball has the least bullet weight and sectional density of any bullet of equivalent caliber. The “buck shot” in .410 shells is sometimes as small as .34 in diameter and weighs about 62 grains. To give you a rough comparison to a standard bullet weight, a standard .45 LC is 185 grains, and .45 loads over 200 grains are common.

When a projectile is light and slow it doesn't penetrate, and penetration is how slow bullets kill.

The Taurus is infinitely more dangerous shooting .45 LC than when it is loaded with .410 ammunition. Yet for a .45, The Judge is unwieldy. Smaller, faster .45s abound.

Secondly, if The Judge can shoot .45 LC then it likely has a rifled barrel. Rifling, of course, is the grooving cut into a barrel. A .45 bullet doesn't actually fit loosely through a .45 barrel, it has to be squeezed through by the explosion initiated behind it when firing. This squeezing effect is increased by a slight concavity in the base of the bullet that catches gas and expands the bullet base to further grab the rifling. The pressure of this squeezing increases the velocity of projectiles launched from rifled barrels. What this means is that the .34 or .36 caliber .410 balls are smaller than the barrel they will travel through. The pressure heretofore described is lost around the balls as they fire. That's one of the reasons why shotguns aren't any good for long shots. Hence the .410s are not only light but slow. Also they can do regrettable things like bounce off the rifling and wear it unevenly.

Here is a good article on the Taurus Judge novelty pistol.

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot41.htm

Old July 27th, 2009 #5
John Cassidy
Homeward Yankee

Default Video

I just watched the video. The gun is loaded with bird shot when it makes the dramatic holes on the paper. And .410 bird shot won't go through a heavy wool coat. Tears the heck out of paper though.

The gentleman in the video is wrong about the rifling "increasing" the spread of the 3 ball .410 Buck ammo. The rifling isn't effecting the impact pattern at all, because it can't grab onto the projectiles.

If you want a devastating handgun look into the 10mm or .44 magnum or the .454 casull.

Old July 27th, 2009 #6
ray bateson
baппed

Quote:
Hence the .410s are not only light but slow. Also they can do regrettable things like bounce off the rifling and wear it unevenly.
No, they do not. The shot is enclosed in a shot-cup.

Quote:
When a projectile is light and slow it doesn't penetrate, and penetration is how slow bullets kill.
Too light and slow... The benchmark defense load for shotguns is 9 pellet 00 buck, 1,200 fps at standard pressure. I would say that 5 slightly wider/weightier projectiles going slightly slower, at point blank range, is effectively the same round. I would not say buckshot is ineffective.

Old July 27th, 2009 #7
Thomas de Aynesworth
Banned

Can the Judge handle slugs?

Old July 28th, 2009 #8
ray bateson
baппed

Yes, but why? A .45 long colt would be a much better choice if you want a single projectile as to velocity and energy.

Old July 28th, 2009 #9
OTPTT
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray bateson View Post
Yes, but why? A .45 long colt would be a much better choice if you want a single projectile as to velocity and energy.
On the way back home tonight I stopped and bought fuel at an interstate convenience store. There was this old nigger guard there with a very substandard looking pistol in his holster. I laughingly asked him 'what in the world is that gun you're carrying.' He told me it was a .45 Colt derringer and pulled out a cartridge from his pocket that had .45 Colt stamped on it.

Yeah, that's what I want to be carrying when two or three thugs come to rob the store with high capacity auto-loaders: a two shot derringer in .45 Colt.

Old July 28th, 2009 #10
ray bateson
baппed

Quote:
On the way back home tonight I stopped and bought fuel at an interstate convenience store. There was this old nigger guard there with a very substandard looking pistol in his holster. I laughingly asked him 'what in the world is that gun you're carrying.' He told me it was a .45 Colt derringer and pulled out a cartridge from his pocket that had .45 Colt stamped on it.

Yeah, that's what I want to be carrying when two or three thugs come to rob the store with high capacity auto-loaders: a two shot derringer in .45 Colt.
At this point I'm almost ready to throw down and just start EDC'ing a sawed off flintlock double shotgun, and to hell with all your newfangled technology and fission powered brass "cartridges"... I'm totally fucking serious...

Old August 18th, 2009 #12
Jack W.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Murray View Post
Nutnfancy said it really well. However I completely disagree about how it could be a quality home defense gun. I do not know what the hell he was talking about there, maybe he was just trying to be nice.

You could get a full sized 12 combat shotgun for home defense that is reliable, proven and freaking accurate for a better price. My god who would opt for that. Carry? Who the hell would carry that concealed? Seriously and why? Just roll with a .357 so you do not have to worry about if you are incredibly close to someone or not. Penetration is terrible so how much tissue damage are you really going to do (the essence of stopping power).

Old August 24th, 2009 #13
Thomas Roisto

from shooting one they seem like too much of a gimmick gun for me. You want something small? Get a glock 26 9mm, they can take 15, 17 and 33 round mags as well

Old August 25th, 2009 #14
Kyrik

The Judge was not built to replace everyone's normal everyday carry. It is marketed as a Car Gun. It is an anti-car jacking gun, plain and simple. In fact, the 410 shotshell opens up at it's most effective spread from this gun (not too much, not too little) at about the distance of a person sitting in a car, and where a car jacker would be standing. It is a point blank gun, or thereabouts up to 10 to 12 feet. It will blow a negro car jacker's guts out.

Old August 25th, 2009 #15
John Cassidy
Homeward Yankee

Default .410 is a poor choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyrik View Post
It will blow a negro car jacker's guts out.
If it's winter and the perp has a heavy wool coat on, light shot from a short .410 shell won't even go through his jacket.

A .410 is underpowered, it is a child's shotgun, even out of a long barrel, shot from a .410 lacks the power to consistently penetrate the flesh of a large animal to the depth of vital organs, and people are large animals.

To stop an assailant with a handgun, one needs to drive a .30 cal or larger bullet (preferably larger) deep into the assailant's body where the projectile will damage vital organs and and create a large, bleeding wound cavity. Shooting clean through the assailant is also good as an exit wound often blows out flesh and provides for the maximum possible wound cavity.

.357 Magnum, 10mm, and .357 Sig really optimize the bullet size and energy required to do the job the Judge is purported to do. There are more potent handguns still, but they are harder to learn to shoot well because of their weight and (sometimes) unwieldy power.

Old June 5th, 2015 #16
keifer

My wife has one. I was using for my trap line thinking it would be good to dispatch what was in my traps. I saw a rabbit in the bush, not in a trap. It took three shots from 15 yards to disable the rabbit. Twice I hit the target and it ran further into the bush.
Junk, but she will never admit it.

Thread