Vanguard News Network
VNN Media
VNN Digital Library
VNN Reader Mail
VNN Broadcasts

Old September 5th, 2015 #1
Karl Lueger

Exclamation How Far Will a Bow & Arrow Kill?

So many people like guns, I like guns, Ive used them a long time,
but this is a weapon that I would like to get some skill with, not just hunting but defensive use more so;
hey Rambo used a bow to great kill-effect...

they should have used a side of beef or some other animal torso maybe,
just to see the flesh and blood effect they talk about.

Rambo, John J.

Old September 5th, 2015 #2
Samuel Toothgold
Charachature incarnate

Location: Already in accordance with the future Repulsive Tapir Avatar Mandate
Default Burt Reynolds could give you a few tips on compound bow marksmanship:

Old September 6th, 2015 #3
Adolf Feuermann

This is a good weapon because you don’t need to bother with the state of the bullets, with the storage conditions of them, you can also made your own bolts, what is perfect because you don’t depend of the industry neither the laws.
Another variation of the bow and arrow that I recommend, is the crossbow, it facilitates the aim and doesn’t require so much strength.

Old September 6th, 2015 #4
Brooklyn Rick

I've been practicing archery for over 30 years. With my old, trusty Browning magnum bow I can hit a can at 40 yards. With one of the longbows I make, I can hit a man sized target at 100 yds. ( most of the time) The key to archery is practice, and doing the same thing every time. Once you achieve muscle memory, you have a skill for life.

Old September 10th, 2015 #5
Dakota Dave

The answer depends on several things. First is what type of gear are you using? A long bow will not reach as far as a recurve. A recurve will not reach out like a compound. Also as far as each type of bow the type of arrow will also make a difference. Will you want to use a traditional wood shaft or all aluminum shaft or go with a aluminum carbon mix or straight carbon shaft? The you need to consider the rest. On the long bow you wont use one but you have the option to on the recurve. On the compound they are a must and the options are numerous. Next you need to consider sights for all but the longbow. My experience shooting started back in the mid 80"s. I have shot for fun and also in a 5 state circuit sort of semi pro 3D series shoots. I have hunted in Florida, South Dakota, Nebraska, Wyoming. I'm not saying this to toot my own horn because I am far from being a great bowyer. But with daily practice you can achieve the following.

longbow 35 yds 6"
Recurve 50 yds 5" with sight pin
compound 20-75 yds 1" with sight and release using carbon arrows

The distances I stated are ones that I am comfortable taking kill shots on deer and elk and pronghorn. There are others who would never take a shot over 50 yrds. I think ever man needs to know his limitations. Hope this helps.

Thread