VNN Media
VNN Digital Library
VNN Reader Mail
VNN Broadcasts

Old November 28th, 2016 #1
alex revision

Default The Marine Corps is experimenting with a new service rifle

The Marine Corps is experimenting with a new service rifle

On the heels of a widely praised 2015 decision to issue the more maneuverable M4 carbine in lieu of the M16A4 to Marines in infantry battalions, the Marine Corps may be on the cusp of another major weapons decision.

The Marine Corps' experimental battalion, the California-based 3rd Battalion, 5th Marines, has been conducting pre-deployment exercises with the M27 Infantry Automatic Rifle to evaluate it as the new service rifle for infantry battalions, the commander of 1st Marine Division, Maj. Gen. Daniel O'Donohue told Military.com Thursday.

http://www.businessinsider.com/marin...e-2016-11?IR=T

Old January 9th, 2017 #2
Frits Smith

Default M16

I personally feel the M16A2 service rifle should still be king, it's what I trained with when I was in the USMC.

However going to 762x51 vs 556 should make some major holes and Headway.

I'm just glad they dropped those Beretta 9 millimeters.

Old January 11th, 2017 #3
Ray Allan

Default No sticking your gun into the jelly doughnut hole, Pvt. Pyle

--Henry A. Kissinger, jewish politician and advisor

Old February 14th, 2017 #4
Crowe

How do they function when they're wet, muddy, and sandy? In high heat and sub zero temps? Because that's the only real test/s that matters for reliability. If it fails miserably under any of those conditions, then it's junk. Regardless of how "tacti-cool" it looks. I think most jarheads are gun nerds who'd prefer tacti-cool over something that's tried, tested, and proven. Oh, look at our guns! They're way more badass than the old as shit the enemy is using! Yeah, we can totally kick their ass, go merica'! Future occupied body bags.

Last edited by Crowe; February 14th, 2017 at 03:16 AM.

Old February 14th, 2017 #5
Ray Allan

When the M-16 was first introduced for use in Vietnam, it was touted as not requiring cleaning. The result was a lot of dead GIs and Marines. The USMC hung on to their old M-14s longer than the Army did, probably in part because of this and they were a smaller service with a smaller budget. (In early stages of WW2, many Marines still used the '03 Springfield even after the M-1 Garand was adopted). The problems with M-16 were fixed eventually, and the teenage troops were issued with a comic book-type manual telling them to keep their rifles clean. Still, a lot of troops like SEALs and Special Forces often used AK-47s, since it had and still does have the reputation of being almost indestructible and soldier-proof. And the AK was handy to use behind enemy lines since it would cause confusion among the NVA/VC.

Quote:
Future occupied body bags.
If they're that stupid, that's what they'll get. Funny how they can't defeat the Taliban after 15 years of non-stop war. Now they want to take on Russia? Morons.

Old June 17th, 2017 #6
Ted Ferguson
Banned

They ought to simply accept the fact that the AK-47 is the perfect service rifle and adopt that. Why prolong the inevitable. The M-16 is a fragile piece of shit built so that when women are drafted as cannon fodder they can at least carry the thing in battle until they fall over from heat exhaustion and the men can trade it to the indigenous population for cigarettes and toilet paper. It's one advantage is it is accurate to about 500 meters.

I think the only reason for the change is to reallocate funds from one part of the military industrial complex to another part.

Old June 17th, 2017 #7
littlefieldjohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Ferguson View Post
They ought to simply accept the fact that the AK-47 is the perfect service rifle and adopt that. Why prolong the inevitable. T
And continue to modify and improve . Anyone in the gun trade would agree.

Old July 24th, 2017 #8
Ray Allan

Let's hope the Marines' new rifle is a piece of shit made by the lowest bidder with parts made in China.

Old August 7th, 2017 #9
Ray Allan

I propose arming the USMC with the Chauchat, called by some "the worst gun ever."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/chauchat

Old August 10th, 2017 #10
Matthaus Hetzenauer
Wutta maroon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frits Smith View Post
I personally feel the M16A2 service rifle should still be king, it's what I trained with when I was in the USMC.

While in the Army (1975 - '78) I trained with the M16A1 and it was a malfunctioning piece of shit.

As far as I'm aware the main practical difference between an A1 and an A2 is that the former had a full "auto" option on its selector switch which was replaced by "burst" on the latter; it only allowed the shooter to let loose three rounds per trigger pull. (You could almost unload a 20-rd. clip in the A1 before the first shell casing hit the ground -- that is if it didn't fuck up.) I'm guessing the reason for the change is that A1s were notorious for jamming while in the full auto mode. Who the hell needs to be trying to unseat a round jammed in the receiver while in the midst of close quarters combat? Fuck no. Like most here I'd opt for an AK; they're reliable and virtually indestructible.

Old August 11th, 2017 #11
Matthaus Hetzenauer
Wutta maroon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Ferguson View Post
The M-16 is a fragile piece of shit built so that when women are drafted as cannon fodder they can at least carry the thing in battle until they fall over from heat exhaustion...
Dead wrong. The M16 was issued decades ago; and for men serving in combat, not women. WACs were still pink collar stenos and office-workers at the time. Anticipation of twenty-first century G.I. Janes was the last thing on the minds of the military and Colt designers.

Old August 26th, 2017 #12
Jeffrey Smither

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frits Smith View Post

I'd take the m4 over the M16 as it's more modern.

Also the advantage of the M4/Ar15 is that you can add all sorts of accessories to them and there is a huge market.

That is true the M16 jammed more often.

Also, many in the military use their own optics too on the M4 instead of the issued Aimpoint the army uses for example. A lot buy Eotechs.

I own both the Aimpoint and Eotech. I prefer the reticle on the Eotech a lot more than the Aimpoint as it's easier for me to get on target faster, however Aimpoints have GREAT battery life. I bought my aimpoint Oct 2009 and it's still using the original battery. Can't say that about my Eotech XPS.

Eotechs had some issues with extreme cold and extreme heat and claims it doesn't hold zero well according to the US gubermint, but I think that's a lot of BS as usual from the government.

Old August 27th, 2017 #13
Kevlar Vest

I used the M-16A1 when I was in the Marine Corps, only because it was issued to me. I always felt that the .22 caliber bullet was too small even with the larger case. The recoil was practically zero, but the hollow sound of the bolt in full recoil reminded me of the plastic toy guns I played with as a kid. Klang! Klang!

Old October 24th, 2017 #14
M.N. Dalvez

Quote:
Quote:
Let's hope the Marines' new rifle is a piece of shit made by the lowest bidder with parts made in China.
Have many of you American gun types had an opportunity to shoot a Norinco rifle before? They don't look half bad at all, although of course that's no guarantee of quality. I've been told that they're 'not bad', as well.

Old October 27th, 2017 #15
Ray Allan

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.N. Dalvez View Post
Have many of you American gun types had an opportunity to shoot a Norinco rifle before? They don't look half bad at all, although of course that's no guarantee of quality. I've been told that they're 'not bad', as well.
Back in the 80s, I fired a friend's Norinco AK when they were first being imported into the US. It worked just fine. Really ejected spent cartridges a long way. The steel and wood construction felt more like a real weapon unlike the plastic toy feel of the AR-15. Both are great firearms, but I would personally prefer the AK because of its reputation for reliabilty and near-indestructability.

Thread