Vanguard News Network
VNN Media
VNN Digital Library
VNN Reader Mail
VNN Broadcasts

Old September 18th, 2005 #21
Dies Irae
Cowboy Astronomer

Technique is only peripheral in a situation in which you're using a knife to defend your life. People who focus on technique will always lose to an opponent whose determination to win is greater. He who does not hesitate to do whatever is necessary to win will be the victor, provided there is hesitation and a lack of resolve from his opponent.

BTW, are there any other fans of Pat Crawford's knives? I love the design of his FF. I have the CRKT version w/ aluminum handle and AUS-8 blade:

"These were no soft-bellied, conservative businessmen assembled for some Masonic mumbodumbo; no loudmouthed, beery red-necks letting off a little ritualized steam about "the goddam niggers"; no pious, frightened churchgoers whining for the guidance or protection of an anthropomorphic deity. These were real men, White men, men who were now one with me in spirit and consciousness as well as in blood." -- Earl Turner, The Turner Diaries

Old December 22nd, 2006 #22
Nxhiku

When using an ice-pick, thrusting is best. But when using a straight-razor, slashing is best. (unless you are actually using it to shave yourself.)

Old December 23rd, 2006 #23
ngrh8r
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nxhiku
When using an ice-pick, thrusting is best. But when using a straight-razor, slashing is best. (unless you are actually using it to shave yourself.)

So that's what I've been doing wrong...

Old December 25th, 2006 #24
Sándor Petőfi
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nxhiku
You mean I'm supposed to stab my face?

Old December 25th, 2006 #25
ngrh8r
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sándor Petőfi
You mean I'm supposed to stab my face?

Works for me. I just tell everyone it's acne scars.

Old December 26th, 2006 #26
Luna 14/88

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngrh8r
Works for me. I just tell everyone it's acne scars.
Bloody mental!!

Old January 8th, 2007 #27
For Britain
Banned

Having recently gotten rid of all my knifes, I wouldn’t advise anybody to carry one let alone use one. But if you must then the best piece of advice I can give you is this. DON'T EVER STAB, ALWAYS SLASH!

Here in the UK that could be the difference between getting charged for assault and attempted (or even actual) murder. In other words a few years or a life sentence...

Old January 8th, 2007 #28
Armed Hippie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antiochus Epiphanes
wonder if that had anything to do with the naming of the xiphoid process, a small but sharp bone structure in the solar plexus that when depressed can puncture vital organs...
It's called "svärdsutskottet" in swedish, that roughly translates in to "extension of the sword". It looks kind of like the tip of a sword. You learn that at CPR-training.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Border Ruffian
Old norse showed a weakness for lesser weapons too. Axes look neat but they aren't as practical as something you can stab with. Something about nordic psychology. They loved their hammers too much hahah so they beat them out and sharpened them. Being physically larger than their sword-wielding enemies let them get away with it for a while so the habit died hard.
Well, it was rather the fact that iron was expensive in scandinavia at that point of time and not many people, not even all warriors, could afford both a wood axe (a needed tool) and a sword or spear (fancy weapons). Instead of getting swords they just but longer shafts on their woodaxes. The axe was primarly a poor mans weapon. Some people stuck to it once they got richer to, probably because they had gotten used to fighting with the axe.

Old February 19th, 2007 #29
Joe_J.
Radio active

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngrh8r View Post
I used "bladed weapons" rather than "swords" in the title, since this debate
can extend to knives/daggers, and to a limited degree, even polearms.

I've always found the sword to be the most beautiful and elegant of weapons. A tremendous amount of focus and concentration is required just to wield one without danger to oneself. After all, even a novice can pick up a weapon like the quarterstaff(rokushakubo) or nunchuku without suffering more than some nasty bumps and bruises. I've seen a friend lose most of a thumb trying to imitate Iaijutsu, which he said was "easy".

We know that thrusting and cutting(slashing) both have their pros and cons, but does one method have a distinct advantage over the other? Lets look at some of the facts:
Depends on what you want to do. I learned knife fighting from an uncle that grew up in the 50s when guys were tied at the wrists and went at it. The big thing I learned was that even a pocketknife, choked up and using only 1/4" of the blade makes shallow, painful slashes. I can attest that it works in real life and will get someone away from you. I suppose if you want to kill someone then a "bear slayer" huge blade is a good thing. I have a "bear slayer" that is a stainless diving knife. It's a big sucker that I keep in my bugout bag as a tool. It is impractical otherwise.

I carry a pocketknife, useful for the aforementioned as well as a lockback folding knife with a 4" blade. I consider the 4" blade the most useful tool to have and not just for defense but also for skinning, gutting, working, etc. The lockback I use is sold by Klein Tools, Inc. and came with a nifty holder with a belt loop.

Of course, some of you are getting into what I consider "esoteric" types of bladed weapons. I am just an average guy carrying something that noone gives a second look at. Show up with a cutlass and you'll get more attention than you want.

Quote:
Dies Irae Technique is only peripheral in a situation in which you're using a knife to defend your life. People who focus on technique will always lose to an opponent whose determination to win is greater. He who does not hesitate to do whatever is necessary to win will be the victor, provided there is hesitation and a lack of resolve from his opponent.
That is why I stick with slashing. Slice the forehead good and your opponent won't even be able to see.

Note that in police training they are taught to take a man with a knife OUT. Cops do not screw around with a knife wielder because they know that they are just this close to being sliced and diced.

Old February 23rd, 2007 #30
Joe_J.
Radio active

Quote:
Why Cops Shoot Guys with Knives
The officer figured, due to his size and fighting skills, he could disarm a knife wielding aggressor.
To all the idiots out there who always say, "Why did the cops have to shoot him? He only had a (insert your choice of weapons here, i.e. knife, bat, club. whatever) he didn't have to be shot", you should look at the photos.

If an officer tells you to drop your weapon, just drop it. If you're a retard, stupid, on crack, mental or just "scared" ... too bad. No one deserves what this cop got for just doing his job.

This is vivid proof of how deadly people who are "only armed with a knife" can be. Some of the public think that officers should try to disarm someone armed with a knife but anyone who has had training in knife fighting will tell you even if you win, you are going to get cut.
Keep this in the back of your mind when confronting someone armed with an edged weapon.
http://blogidaho.blogspot.com/2007/0...th-knives.html

Old March 18th, 2007 #31
banjo_billy
Banned

Stab or slash, both are available options for a tool that does both well. It is not a good idea to limit yourself to one or the other.

Actual studies by the French Military of the 18th century showed them that stabs were more deadly than slashes. So, they redesigned the swords of their cavalry to make stabs more efficient. Slashes make horrible wounds but stabs reach the internal organs and are thus more deadly.

German officers who studied swordsmanship with the Japanese concluded that the European rapier or epee were more useful weapons than the Japanese katana. But when you are fighting against a three foot long razor blade, you'd better be quick.

The Japanese spear usually had a cross-piece on the pole. This prevented a swordsman who had been pierced through with the spear from running himself through along the pole to cut off the head of the spearman.

All of these weapons are nasty tools for serious work. And all of them, regardless of design, depend upon the skill of he who wields it. So, of course, it is your practice that gives you perfection more so than the tools with which you practice.

Last edited by banjo_billy; March 18th, 2007 at 07:45 AM.

Old December 6th, 2007 #32
cillian

realisticly you arent going to carry around any type of sword/spear/axe these days
so that leaves daggers and knives if we are talking about stab slash option
a single edge knife with a thick blade is the best combination(like a bowie knife) imo. if you are going for a kill you come from behind and stab the neck/throat then slash at you draw the blade out
if its a hand to hand combat situation, stabs are more deadly but harder to land, which is why a thick knife is better than a dagger, slash a few times to get him on the defencive then move in for a stab

Old December 7th, 2007 #33
Sean Martin

They produce some really nice single hand open knives with a clip for easy access. I don’t see why someone would be confined to just slashing or thrusting. Get a good knife with a sharp point then you can do both. However you won’t be able to do either one if you can’t sharpen a knife. I am amazed at the number of people who don’t know how to properly sharpen a knife. The reason is most books and websites on the subject show a person how to sharpen a knife for cutting boxes or whittling not fighting.

Any knife I carry is sharp enough to shave, that way there is no effort in cutting. It dulls quicker than a knife with a slightly duller edge but if I need to cut something I want my knife to be ready on the spot to do the job. I can always sharpen it later when I am finished.

You don’t have to spend a bundle to get a good knife. I would spend $40 max for a good functional knife. I know people who spend $200 on a pocketknife then lose it or break it. Get a good $15-25 knife from Wal-mart, keep the receipt and if it doesn’t function as promised take it back for a refund or exchange.

Old December 7th, 2007 #34
RebelWithACause
¡Confíeme en!

Also don't be afraid to have 'purpose built' knives. A good all-around well-built knife is great, but I keep a Spyderco Yojimbo in each front pocket for one purpose only. I use a cheaper multi-role pocket knife for 'utility' duties.

Old June 12th, 2008 #35
WIGANMIKE

All though I have both, I would suggest if its knives were talking about, slashing is better, cause remember even knives built for slashing can also be used for thrusting..

Slashing can be used for a warning or a kill, thrusting will generally result in a kill, of course depending were..

Old June 12th, 2008 #36
dixie

Default re: cutting vs. thrusting

Any comments re: the bowie knife? I am thinking of something like they carried during the civil war, large blade, wooden handle with a D shaped hand guard. Comments?

Old June 12th, 2008 #37
WIGANMIKE

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixie View Post
Any comments re: the bowie knife? I am thinking of something like they carried during the civil war, large blade, wooden handle with a D shaped hand guard. Comments?

I use to have a BOWIE KNIFE, and it was a great knife, but mine never had the hand guard, but a fantastic looking hunting knife..
Had it for a few years till some twat stole it..

Old June 12th, 2008 #38
News
Friendly

I want like an extra long titanium ice-pick, something like a fencing foil but shorter and harder, that could attach in 2 or more places to the forearm so it stays very stable and I can just casually make a fist, not have to use my hand for anything or injure my fingers.

But anyway you're not going to walk around with that. Just thinking it would be the perfect stabbing weapon. Extremely light and hard, an extension of your arm that turns it into a short spear.

I guess you COULD walk around if it were only about a foot long and retractable so you could push it back up your sleeve.

You know there was something similar in a movie, but it was a short sword. Or a very large knife, like a giant out-the-front switchblade attached to this guy's forearm. Extra-jewy movie called "Marathon Man". The Joseph Mengele based character uses this weapon near the end.

Old June 12th, 2008 #39
cillian

This is my new favorite weapon.

Quote:
The falcata is one such sword - the product of an evolution of the ancient Egyptian Kopesh. So impressed with its function, Alexander the Great adopted its use for his conquests, and it spread with minor - and some major - changes throughout the known world due to this fact. The Turkish Yataghan, the Nepalese Kukri and Kora, the Falcatta Iberia, the Sosoun Pata and many more weapons evolved from this one source.

It is, for the lack of a better word, an axe. This weapon is very, very effective, but not at all graceful as most people believe that a sword should be. For its intended use, as a close in "chopper" there simple isn't a better sword. Period.

The forward curved and widened blade places a great percentage of the blade's "working weight" at the upper third of the blade length, which happens to be the most efficient area for a blade to impact in order to inflict the greatest damage to the target. Not at all subtle or even the least bit "graceful", this sword is very effective when it comes to overhand chops and other short and quick movements, especially around a large shield.

Another wonderful function of the forward recurved blade is during a draw cut. The forward ogive will actually pull the blade into the target, thereby making the cut deeper and more effective.

Old June 12th, 2008 #40
Sean Martin

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIGANMIKE View Post
All though I have both, I would suggest if its knives were talking about, slashing is better, cause remember even knives built for slashing can also be used for thrusting..
Slashing is only functional if you are a pro and extremely fast. Most people can block even the shortest slash. A direct stab straight in is nearly impossible to block or deflect. I know the old cross block, side step or parry they teach at the local McDojo that looks awesome when using a rubber knife seems to work. If you come at someone fast and hard with a knife and don’t hesitate the chances of them blocking or deflecting the stab are slim to none.

If you have a good fixed blade knife with a full tang it takes less than 2 seconds to pull and stab for even the most regular people. There are only two moves. However with a slash you have to pull the blade, cock your arm then make the slash and hope the blade penetrates the clothing. Heavy clothing can deflect the blow, which is telegraphed anyway. A stab is so fast and has much more penetration that it is effective on even a professional fighter.

With that said if I were going to trust my life to a knife it wouldn’t be a folder of any kind. It would be a fixed blade full tang, preferably handmade knife.
BTW not all slashing knives are effective thrusters. The thrust puts pressure on the retaining spring in a folder and even a small degrees off could put enough pressure on the spring that the knife could malfunction and cause the user more harm that the victim.

Besides knives are for spics, if a person is going to go around he or she should do it like a white man and get a gun. Whites didn’t spend 400 years perfecting the boom stick for us to use caveman tools.

Thread