VNN Digital Library
VNN Reader Mail
VNN Broadcasts

Old December 18th, 2010 #81
ray bateson
baппed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob MacGregor View Post
I used to sell CAS/Hanwei and can still obtain it wholesale.. I like some of their weapons quite a bit.. the damascus Viking sword I have and mentioned is one of theirs...the Godfried model. I have some of their pikes and spears as well, great values. You have to make/fit your own shafts, I like that because I have "preferences"

Nothing wrong with a well sharpened machete for our inexperienced brothers.. they can do the job.. just watch that follow-through and where you aim, it should be away from (your) anatomy

A great way to learn how to use a machete is brush clearing.. wear leather gloves and keep the free hand clear of the blade, wear heavy leather boots, start out slow and stop working before you get tired is my best advice there. Also have a real med kit handy
Had only been awake for three minutes when typing that last comment. What I tried to say was the hanwei sword in my own picture, and the other, updated model I wrote about.

But yeah. Is it just me? Seems after a certain age, and enough dabbling in weaponry, you start feeling satisfied just at the idea of a run-of-the-mill machete or tomahawk. Like "...now that I know better."

Last edited by ray bateson; December 18th, 2010 at 05:47 AM. Reason: I'm retarded...

Old December 18th, 2010 #82
Rob MacGregor
Harvester of yidflies

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray bateson View Post
Had only been awake for three minutes when typing that last comment. What I tried to say was the hanwei sword in my own picture, and the other, updated model I wrote about.

But yeah. Is it just me? Seems after a certain age, and enough dabbling in weaponry, you start feeling satisfied just at the idea of a run-of-the-mill machete or tomahawk. Like "...now that I know better."
Yep. However all the handling and testing with those other weapons gives one a greater ability to counter them if need be, and the ability to use them if so pressed. You never know. Besides it's fun and they look great all over my dojo walls

[Formerly Son of the Mist at scamfront.. hail to my friends here, I've missed ya]

Old February 19th, 2011 #83
Hugh
Holorep survivor

Default Knifeblades in the skull not always lethal

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/gall...ing_xrays.html

These X-rays provide a glimpse of some amazing incidents perhaps better left to the imagination.

A Chinese man's stabbing headache ended this week when doctors removed a rusty 4-inch knife blade that had been lodged in his skull for four years. Li Fuyan said a robber had stabbed him on the right side of his jaw. For years, Li had suffered from severe headaches and had trouble breathing, but didn't know it was because a knife blade was stuck inside his head, reported The Associated Press.

'As time passed, I used injections to kill the pain in my head and ears,' Li, 30, told Chinese state TV. 'It has been four years already.'

The hospital announced on Feb. 18 that the surgery was successful, calling it a 'miracle.'

Old June 5th, 2011 #84
ray bateson
baппed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Bowmont View Post
Machetes worked well for the Hutu, should for us.
Yes.

Speaking from my own experience, Ontario Knives and Tramontina make a hell of a machete, for the sub-$20 category. Cold Steel's kinda run 50/50 on quality control, mostly involving tempering issues with their south-african made machetes. No surprise there -- one factory-tour featured in their demo DVD revealed that all the employees are kaffir niggers. So interested parties would be advised to source locally if possible in order to examine one before purchasing, but as with most things. Knife shops. Dedicated sporting goods stores. Those kinds of places.

Non knife-savvy men desirous of an inexpensive, big, beginner's combat knife may want to consider the Ontario "Spec Plus" line of 5160 knives. Most models are below $80 new, and some as low as $30 if you look real hard. They're regarded by the professionals as very good for the money spent. I'll speak to that as I personally never leave the house without my (going on four years old) SP5 bowie.

Speaking of big blades Ka-Bar just released the "Big Brother." It's not your grandpa's WW2 Ka-Bar for sure.

Last edited by ray bateson; June 5th, 2011 at 07:53 AM. Reason: 5160 steel, no longer in 1095...

Old June 6th, 2011 #85
Mr. Bowmont

Quote:
Yes.

Speaking from my own experience, Ontario Knives and Tramontina make a hell of a machete, for the sub-$20 category. Cold Steel's kinda run 50/50 on quality control, mostly involving tempering issues with their south-african made machetes. No surprise there -- one factory-tour featured in their demo DVD revealed that all the employees are kaffir niggers. So interested parties would be advised to source locally if possible in order to examine one before purchasing, but as with most things. Knife shops. Dedicated sporting goods stores. Those kinds of places.

Non knife-savvy men desirous of an inexpensive, big, beginner's combat knife may want to consider the Ontario "Spec Plus" line of 5160 knives. Most models are below $80 new, and some as low as $30 if you look real hard. They're regarded by the professionals as very good for the money spent. I'll speak to that as I personally never leave the house without my (going on four years old) SP5 bowie.

Speaking of big blades Ka-Bar just released the "Big Brother." It's not your grandpa's WW2 Ka-Bar for sure.
I'd rather spend more and get a machete made of 1095 high carbon steel:

http://www.eseeknives.com/junglas_machete.htm

Old June 16th, 2011 #86
ray bateson
baппed

Quote:
I'd rather spend more and get a machete made of 1095 high carbon steel
Or, since all ontario machetes are 1095, spend less and get one of those. Wow...

Old June 17th, 2011 #87
Mr. Bowmont

Quote:
Or, since all ontario machetes are 1095, spend less and get one of those. Wow...
Theres a reason its cheaper. Ontario Knives make cheap quality, which im fairly sure are 1065 or D2 most of the time not 1095. ESEE has a much higher quality and a warranty that Ontario can't even come close too. ESEE's knives are also nicer and have a better fit. I owned an Ontario RC-5 and a RAT Cutlery (ESEE) RC-5 and the RAT was a lot better. It even felt better just holding it.

(Ontario uses designs made by RAT/ESEE also)

Last edited by Mr. Bowmont; June 17th, 2011 at 07:35 PM.

Old June 18th, 2011 #88
ray bateson
baппed

Quote:
Theres a reason its cheaper.
Yeah, because you're not buying an image.

Quote:

Ontario Knives make cheap quality, which im fairly sure are 1065 or D2 most of the time not 1095. ESEE has a much higher quality and a warranty that Ontario can't even come close too. ESEE's knives are also nicer and have a better fit. I owned an Ontario RC-5 and a RAT Cutlery (ESEE) RC-5 and the RAT was a lot better. It even felt better just holding it.

(Ontario uses designs made by RAT/ESEE also)
So you assume the pricier a product the higher the quality? Your concept of 'quality' is meaningless in the stock-removal knife industry, where the qualities of any knife steel are scientifically dictated by its metallurgical content and its heat-treatment, nothing else.

I'm reminded of the knifetests.com report when a $15-20 cold steel "gi tanto" outlasted a multi-hundred dollar strider BT that broke on a folding chair, while the tanto passed many levels of heavy abuse before suffering catastrophic failure. But you'd never suspect from its price.

yawn

Old June 19th, 2011 #89
Mr. Bowmont

Quote:
I'm reminded of the knifetests.com report when a $15-20 cold steel "gi tanto" outlasted a multi-hundred dollar strider BT that broke on a folding chair, while the tanto passed many levels of heavy abuse before suffering catastrophic failure. But you'd never suspect from its price.

yawn
You still have not proven that Ontario is better than RAT though. You're using examples of other companies that in no way has anything to do with Ontario VS RAT(ESEE). You're just pissy that you can't buy a RAT(ESEE) knife using your welfare check.

Old June 19th, 2011 #90
ray bateson
baппed

Yes, an example of the fact the science has developed so much over time that now any factory with average manufacturing standards can make affordable knives that equal the 'best' ie the most expensive brand-names. The performance (quality) of any steel blade is a function of its alloy and its heat-treatment, motherfucker. If all the Cold Steel stuff getting made in damn china boast such durability, it's the only logical leap that Ontario Knives running its own state-of-the-art facilities in the kwa is doing as good of a job, at the very least. You think? Go watch the test videos, read the reviews, and quit bugging me.

Old June 19th, 2011 #91
Mr. Bowmont

Quote:
Yes, an example of the fact the science has developed so much over time that now any factory with average manufacturing standards can make affordable knives that equal the 'best' ie the most expensive brand-names. The performance (quality) of any steel blade is a function of its alloy and its heat-treatment, motherfucker. If all the Cold Steel stuff getting made in damn china boast such durability, it's the only logical leap that Ontario Knives running its own state-of-the-art facilities in the kwa is doing as good of a job, at the very least. You think? Go watch the test videos, read the reviews, and quit bugging me.
Like i said in the chat:

You're just making assumptions and pretending they are the same just one is cheaper.

You can search the internet and find that everyone agrees RAT is superior. Just get over it.

Old June 19th, 2011 #92
ray bateson
baппed

Quote:
You can search the internet and find that everyone agrees RAT is superior. Just get over it.
I can think of other examples where a mere consensus of "everyone" is considered more authoritative on reality than reality. Most of those, too, we find to be beer-bellied men stubbornly emotionally invested in the worship of a brand-name.

Old June 19th, 2011 #93
Mr. Bowmont

Quote:
I can think of other examples where a mere consensus of "everyone" is considered more authoritative on reality than reality. Most of those, too, we find to be beer-bellied men stubbornly emotionally invested in the worship of a brand-name.
I already told you in chat, im not arguing it anymore. Get over it.

Old June 30th, 2011 #94
ray bateson
baппed

Probably a little obscure...

Point is, if one observes just about any form of hobbyism for a long time he notices that most men cling, almost religiously, to one brand or another for reasons misinformed or completely subjective. To expect a completely rational being would be unreasonable. But once the line is crossed from mere personal fantasy into a determined massive denial of facts it becomes as dumb and impossible as jebooism.

Old June 30th, 2011 #95
Leonard Rouse
Celebrating My Diversity

Quote:
Probably a little obscure...

Point is, if one observes just about any form of hobbyism for a long time he notices that most men cling, almost religiously, to one brand or another for reasons misinformed or completely subjective. To expect a completely rational being would be unreasonable. But once the line is crossed from mere personal fantasy into a determined massive denial of facts it becomes as dumb and impossible as jebooism.
Well said.

FTR, I edc an Ontario Rat 1 folder. Great value, imo. Actually made in Taiwan, though I thought it was USA when I bought it. AUS 8, solid lock-up. Reasonable ease/speed of opening.

It's a bit heavy though, with the full stainless steel liners. And the scales are a bit too slick, being plastic. I'm thinking of finding someone to drill-out the liners to get the weight down.

I've also got a little bit of the fever to get a new knife. I'd also like it made in USA (or another nominally white country--I guess potentially and realistically Switzerland, Germany, or maybe Italy). I was thinking maybe a Benchmade 710 would have the things I like about the Rat and somewhat fix the things I don't.

Any ideas?

Old June 30th, 2011 #96
ray bateson
baппed

My knowledge of folders is low. I never cared. Today though [damn coincidence] I was handling a benchmade "onslaught" at the local shop. I thought "that's a big motherfucker" and then I remembered cold steel's budget version of the extra-large espada will be twice the size at a similar price.

Old June 30th, 2011 #97
Leonard Rouse
Celebrating My Diversity

Quote:
My knowledge of folders is low. I never cared. Today though [damn coincidence] I was handling a benchmade "onslaught" at the local shop. I thought "that's a big motherfucker" and then I remembered cold steel's budget version of the extra-large espada will be twice the size at a similar price.
Wow, that looks like some sort of Benchmade, Kershaw, Spyderco hybrid.

Old October 16th, 2012 #98
keifer

Muela Knives.
Does anyone have anything to say about this Spanish knife. I have heard they have low budget-low quality knives on the market, but if you want to spend a little extra, you will get a solid knife. I have seen some and they look solid built. The one I have in mind has the name RUKO on one side of the blade. A quick search showed that RUKO is an import company. http://www.cuchillosmuela.com/?q=en

Old February 17th, 2013 #99
keifer

This video talks about basic knife grinds and blade configurations.

Old February 17th, 2013 #100
keifer

Quote:
I'd rather spend more and get a machete made of 1095 high carbon steel:

http://www.eseeknives.com/junglas_machete.htm

If you are going for 1095, it is not advisable to have a coated blade. The coating is not condusive to fire-strikers in which case renders the blade useless for throwing sparks. Aside from that, why cover up such beautiful steel.

Thread