Vanguard News Network
VNN Media
VNN Digital Library
VNN Reader Mail
VNN Broadcasts

Old December 22nd, 2004 #1
SheerTerror

Default Can't sleep?

You're brain has a gland, the pineal gland, that secretes two tryptamines at night during your sleep cycle: Dimethyltryptamine (DMT, the most powerful psychdelic known to mankind, its thought to be released during dreaming...which means we're all tripping our balls of 3:30 every morning while sleeping), and Melatonin, which regulates your sleep cycle and is also a tryptamine.
I usually have trouble sleeping during winter, and whenever I took crappy OTC sleep-aids, it'd make me feel weird, especially after I got up in the morning, groggy as hell. Well, I've been taking 3 mg of melatonin every night about two hours before I go to bed, and I've actually been getting a good night's sleep every night I've used it! No grogginess in the morning, the winter isn't depressing me as much as it usually does (can't stand the constant gray skies...ugh), and I'm all energetic at work. Its good stuff. And the best thing, it has NO mental effects, aside from making sleep easier and dreaming more. It doesn't knock you out, you can barely feel it, if at all. It lets you go to sleep naturally, it doesn't force it on ya.
Anyways, just wanted to recommend this stuff to any fellow insomniacs that can't stand normal sleeping pills with that diphenhydramine crap. You can find it anywhere that sells vitamin supplements. Just make sure to get the strongest kind you can, 3 mg.

Old December 22nd, 2004 #2
Antiochus Epiphanes
Ἀντίοχος Ἐπιφανὴς

my mom swears by the stuff-- melatonin. sometimes people have a harder time sleeping as they get older. me, Im just the opposite. I sleep well every night.

Old December 22nd, 2004 #3
Antiochus Epiphanes
Ἀντίοχος Ἐπιφανὴς

booze, nictotine, will disturb sleep, as will too much electric entertainement like TV movies or even PC usage. skip that stuff an hour or two before bed and stick with music books and socializing with loved ones.

Old December 22nd, 2004 #4
SheerTerror

Actually, that might be what has been causing my insomnia. After I get home from work, I do family/socializing right after. Right before bed is usually my computer time...besides being at work. That, plus nicotine (I always forget its a stimulant, however mild).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antiochus Epiphanes
booze, nictotine, will disturb sleep, as will too much electric entertainement like TV movies or even PC usage. skip that stuff an hour or two before bed and stick with music books and socializing with loved ones.

Thread