VNN Media
VNN Digital Library
VNN Reader Mail
VNN Broadcasts

Old December 23rd, 2018 #1
ColdFire
Banned

Default Voodoo

. . what's really behind this religion ? . .

. . it is one of the only 'original African religions' which are recorded and quite 'known' in the West . . . . the original centre was Benin but it still 'lives on' in the West in 'African outposts' like Haiti or New Orleans..

I think the religion of Voodoo allows a huge look into the blacks psyche . .

. . it more or less even is an 'organized religion' as opposed to respective 'tribal religions' unique maybe to certain African tribes . . . AND much is known about it . .
- - - - -

The word 'Vodun' means 'mysteries' . . voodoo more or less is all about 'becoming possessed' by those 'mysteries' , i. e. spirits from the 'underworld' . . at all time throughout history the belief in either 'good' or 'evil' spirits / entities was distributed . .

The Voodoo people somehow seem to see these 'Vodun' as 'spirits from beyond' by which one might become possessed ( by extatic dances and so on . . .)

. .so it more or less is all about them becoming possessed by some 'spirits from beyond' . .

. .in contrast to other religions they seem obsessed about the thought of becoming 'possesed' by some unearthly power..

. . you decide.

. . even if one doesn't take spirituality /spiritism serious , the very thought of people longing to become possesed by some 'wild entities' makes one ponder..

Hmmmm . .

. . apart from that it is some kind of 'hokus pokus' involving dolls , people walking over glowing coals ( supposedly when 'possesed by the 'gods'' . . ) and shamanism . . .
'Wild' one, in fact . .

Over the course of time of 'being exposed to the West' the Negro has taken on other religions ( even Islam . . .) . . . but their 'pagan faith' I think allows a deeper look into their psyche than the so-called belief of any Black Muslim or any black Southern Baptist could ever contrive . . . .

Whaddaya think ?

Last edited by ColdFire; December 23rd, 2018 at 12:46 AM.

Old December 23rd, 2018 #2
Gladiatrix

My understanding is that Voodoo is a mixture of Roman Catholic beliefs and African Pagan ones. It originated in Haiti. There is a similar practice from Cuba called Santeria. I cannot remember its name, but there is one from Brazil.

For years there was a Santeria store in DC, quite close to where I live.

Old December 23rd, 2018 #3
Erik T. White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gladiatrix View Post
My understanding is that Voodoo is a mixture of Roman Catholic beliefs and African Pagan ones. It originated in Haiti. There is a similar practice from Cuba called Santeria. I cannot remember its name, but there is one from Brazil.

This one is from Brazil, et. al.:

Quote:
Candomblé Ketu (or Queto in Portuguese) is the largest and most influential branch (nation) of Candomblé, a religion practiced in Brazil, Argentina, and Uruguay. The word Candomblé means “ritual dancing or gather in honor of gods” and Ketu is the name of the Ketu (Benin) region in Nigeria.[1] Its liturgical language, known as Iorubá or Nagô, is a dialect of Yoruba. Candomblé Ketu developed in the early 19th century and gained great importance to Brazilian heritage in the 20th century.
More at this link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Candomblé_Ketu

Old December 23rd, 2018 #4
ColdFire
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gladiatrix View Post
My understanding is that Voodoo is a mixture of Roman Catholic beliefs and African Pagan ones.
. . . they have some of their saints , yes . . .but all in all it is more African than else . . . .
Quote:
It originated in Haiti.
. . .one might think it originated in Haiti ( since the most 'news' about Voodoo 'come through' from there . . .) but as far as I know it is originally African . . . the incidents in Haiti sure get more 'spotlight' than what happens in the deepest, darkest African jungle . . .
Quote:
There is a similar practice from Cuba called Santeria. I cannot remember its name, but there is one from Brazil.
. . Candomble . .

Quote:
. . . that wouldn't have happened to look like this?

lol
Sry ,apperently I have watched 'Live And Let Die' a few times too much . . .

Old February 12th, 2019 #5
T.Garrett
Banned

Cool Desi Arnaz sings tribute to his patron god

Arnaz felt that his success was at least partly due to Afro/Carib god Babalu

Old February 12th, 2019 #6
T.Garrett
Banned

Wink 'Grey Seal' aint about the animal

Desi Arnaz isnt the only famous musician to sing tribute to the 'forces' that they feel enabled their success, fagboy Elton John's 'Grey Seal' (Eye of Horus) symbol can be seen on the reverse of every US dollar bill.

There are many others ...

Old February 12th, 2019 #7
ColdFire
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.Garrett View Post

. . . couldn't resist

Old February 12th, 2019 #8
T.Garrett
Banned

Thumbs up

Haha I gave you a thumbs up

Old February 12th, 2019 #9
ColdFire
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.Garrett View Post
Haha I gave you a thumbs up
Thank thee Gave one in return . . . .

T.G. , you might be interested in this thread . . . .?

https://vnnforum.com/showthread.php?t=550487

. . just mentioning . . .

. . regards over to 'Nu Yawk'

Old December 28th, 2019 #10
ColdFire
Banned

Cool

Thread