Vanguard News Network
VNN Media
VNN Digital Library
VNN Reader Mail
VNN Broadcasts

Old April 14th, 2011 #21
Longbaugh

Quote:

What about the 40c? Isn't that a nice option as well?
Sure, if you're shooting .40 Slow & Weak; but we were discussing .45 ACP options.

Quote:

And, if you're looking for compact/sub-compact .45's, how about the Glock 30?
Change out the recoil spring and guide rod to Wolffs and you're G.T.G. Leave the firing mechanism stock. I hate it when people say "trust me", but trust me.

Quote:

Good point, but still, I cannot help but to feel like you're paying more for the brand name than for the firearm itself; kind of like Ipods, if you ask me, they cost 8 dollars each to manufacture yet you won't get one for less than 200 bucks because there's an apple logo on it.
You can feel that way if you want to, but those feelings aren't based on experience or empirical evidence. I can't speak about the Ipod because I'm not a chick or a faggot, but I can comment on H&K: you get what you pay for and HK makes a better gun. It really is that simple.

I carry M&Ps because that's what's issued by my current employer; I switched over to them in my personal life because they're good guns--and very good, once you ditch the factory trigger. I come from the 1911 old school, but the M&P is simply the better gun.

And HK is better than both. If you ever get the chance to run HKs hard, for an extended period of time, up against other pistols, you will understand. I'm not speaking from gun-culture mythology, brand loyalty, or fanboy nuthugging; it'd simply the better gun.

Quote:

Great suggestion, it's really a SIG for less.
No, not really. The DA/SA and decocker notwithstanding, it's more like a plastic, high-end 1911 in terms of the way it shoots. Very smooth. Easily the best DA/SA trigger on any current, production pistol, out of the box.

Quote:

Btw, what about the SW MP's? Heard good things about them, though I've also heard that the QC for the compact ones is disappointing.
I haven't seen any evidence of this.

Old April 14th, 2011 #22
John in Woodbridge

If I didn't already have my SIG I'd probably have to pick up this STI. It's very pricey though.

Old April 15th, 2011 #23
T.J. McAllister

Is the expensive ammo and smaller capacity mags of the .45 ACP worth it considering modern 9mm HP designs? Does it offer real advantages over the 9x19 Para?

Old April 15th, 2011 #24
Longbaugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.J. McAllister View Post
Is the expensive ammo and smaller capacity mags of the .45 ACP worth it considering modern 9mm HP designs? Does it offer real advantages over the 9x19 Para?
Real advantages? No.

There is nothing wrong with the 9mm Luger cartridge.

Old April 15th, 2011 #25
Simo Häyhä

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longbaugh View Post
Sure, if you're shooting .40 Slow & Weak; but we were discussing .45 ACP options.
"Slow and weak" sounds like an oxymoron. You are aware of the fact that slower and heavier projectiles penetrate better than faster and lighter ones, right?

Also, you want to talk about slow rounds, this thread is dedicated to a pistol chambered in one.

Quote:
Change out the recoil spring and guide rod to Wolffs and you're G.T.G. Leave the firing mechanism stock. I hate it when people say "trust me", but trust me.
I had no idea the stock spring and rod on the Glock 30 was sub-par. As far as I knew Glocks had pretty solid out-of-the-box parts.

Quote:
I can't speak about the Ipod because I'm not a chick or a faggot
Are you condescendingly calling me a faggot?

Quote:
I carry M&Ps because that's what's issued by my current employer; I switched over to them in my personal life because they're good guns--and very good, once you ditch the factory trigger.
Never liked the way they field strip.

Old April 16th, 2011 #26
Longbaugh

Quote:

"Slow and weak" sounds like an oxymoron.
You need to look up "oxymoron" in the dictionary.

I didn't invent the phrase. Compared to its parent cartridge, it is slow and weak.

Quote:

You are aware of the fact that slower and heavier projectiles penetrate better than faster and lighter ones, right?
Holy crap. Where do I even begin?

You need to look up "fact" in the dictionary, too.

Yeah, because of that "fact", we all carry catapults and ball bearings into battle instead of using explosives to launch aerodynamic projectiles at supersonic velocities through steel tubes.

Yeah, because of that "fact", .45 ACP will penetrate body armour that 5.56 NATO won't.

You are aware of the fact that, just because you say something is a fact, doesn't make it so, right?

Quote:

Also, you want to talk about slow rounds,
I have no compulsion to talk about slow rounds. I would much rather discuss Gillian Anderson and golden showers.

Quote:

this thread is dedicated to a pistol chambered in one.
I didn't start the topic drift; Fred did. You don't like it? Take it up with him.

Quote:

I had no idea the stock spring and rod on the Glock 30 was sub-par.
Well, now you do.

Quote:

As far as I knew Glocks had pretty solid out-of-the-box parts.
Knowing and assuming are two different things, and one has nothing to do with the other.

Most Glocks do. The subcompacts do not. If you want a subcompact auto that is dead-nuts reliable with the parts installed at the factory, you're going to have to pony up for an HK or a Detonics.

Quote:

Are you condescendingly calling me a faggot?
Hey, you're the one with the Ipod, head full of misinformation, and overly sencitive feelings.

I don't know. I could be calling you a chick. Do you have a vagina? Is there sand in it?

No, I'm humbly praising you for being a faggot.

You're the one comparing a state-of-the-art killing implement to some gizmo used by chicks and faggots everywhere.

You know, I was just insulting Ipods as being stupid and beneath the dignity of any man, but you opened the door...

Quote:

Never liked the way they field strip.
Yeah, because that's so complicated:

Old April 16th, 2011 #27
ray bateson
baппed

Longbaugh, fact: the penetrative ability of bullets is relative to the penetrable nature of the target material. Bare flesh is far less resistant than kevlar or steel, so less that a heavier and slower bullet than a faster, lighter and smaller diameter one is at no disadvantage against unarmored opponents. Though, for any bullet traveling at a FPS slightly lesser than supersonic velocity to be called 'slow' is a matter of individual perception, not technical definitions.

Other than that, I think you need to pull the bone out of your ass and read a lot more, because there's a serious flaw with the foot-pounds theory of bullet effectiveness. To begin with, it's utter shit.

http://firearmstactical.com/pdf/fbi-hwfe.pdf

Old April 16th, 2011 #28
ray bateson
baппed

Simo, caliber isn't everything, nor is velocity, longbaugh. I personally carry an N-frame .38, using 200 grain lead wadcutter hollowpoints. The reason should be obvious -- high sectional-density outperforms all other factors at predicting bullet penetration (in flesh and bone). It's not everything, but it is the most important.

Last edited by ray bateson; April 16th, 2011 at 07:14 AM.

Old April 16th, 2011 #29
Simo Häyhä

Quote:
Holy crap. Where do I even begin?

You need to look up "fact" in the dictionary, too.

Yeah, because of that "fact", we all carry catapults and ball bearings into battle instead of using explosives to launch aerodynamic projectiles at supersonic velocities through steel tubes.

Yeah, because of that "fact", .45 ACP will penetrate body armour that 5.56 NATO won't.

You are aware of the fact that, just because you say something is a fact, doesn't make it so, right?
Whatever you say, cowboy.
Quote:
I didn't start the topic drift; Fred did. You don't like it? Take it up with him.
Passive aggressive, much?

Quote:
Knowing and assuming are two different things, and one has nothing to do with the other.
No shit, sherlock.

Quote:
Hey, you're the one with the Ipod, head full of misinformation, and overly sencitive feelings.
LMAO.

You might want to look up "sencitive" in the dictionary. Hint: it's not in there.

Quote:
I don't know. I could be calling you a chick. Do you have a vagina? Is there sand in it?
You tell me, you're the one being unnecessarily hostile. Is it that time of the month for you, dear?

Quote:
No, I'm humbly praising you for being a faggot.
You need to say that to your mirror.
Quote:
You're the one comparing a state-of-the-art killing implement to some gizmo used by chicks and faggots everywhere.
You also need to look up "metaphor" in your dictionary, wanker.

Quote:
Yeah, because that's so complicated:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sfTs...38CA85DA170EE2
Where did I say it was complicated, dipshit? I only said I don't like the way they field strip; that's it.

You know, there's something really wrong with a person that gets more defensive than a cornered cat when he's met with the slightest opposition...You might want to take your meds, or change your tampon.

Last edited by Simo Häyhä; April 16th, 2011 at 06:07 PM.

Old April 16th, 2011 #30
Simo Häyhä

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray bateson View Post
Simo, caliber isn't everything
Well, I never said it was.

Old April 16th, 2011 #31
ray bateson
baппed

Federal "hydra-shok" 9x19 115gr JHP.
Velocity at 25 yards: 1070 Feet per Second = 729.5454545454545 Miles per Hour

Federal "hydra-shok" .40 S&W 180gr JHP.
Velocity at 25 yards: 972 Feet per Second = 662.7272727272727 Miles per Hour

Federal "hydra-shok" .45ACP 230gr JHP.
Velocity at 25 yards: 882 Feet per Second = 601.3636363636364 Miles per Hour

Old April 16th, 2011 #32
Leonard Rouse
Celebrating My Diversity

Quote:
You need to look up "oxymoron" in the dictionary.

Old April 17th, 2011 #33
Longbaugh

Simo,

I am sorry for offending you. My remarks were meant to be amusing and sounded much funnier in my head. I hope that you will accept my apology.

Ray,

I need to read more? Fuck you and your armchair.

Old April 18th, 2011 #34
ray bateson
baппed

Quote:
Ray,

I need to read more? Fuck you and your armchair.
Fuck you and your clichés. I'm sitting on a stack of used pallet-boards, because they're free. You would already know this if you read more books.

Thread