VNN Digital Library
VNN Reader Mail
VNN Broadcasts

Old April 28th, 2015 #81
Dyrith
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superior Asian View Post
And since I'm also an Anime, you westerners also making nonsense about our Anime characters based on you.
What is with you Asians and your anime?
It seems that you all get very defensive about it, like it's your heritage to watch cartoons.

Oh and if they don't base the toons off of our race then why don't all anime cartoons have squint eyes?
Explain that.

Old April 29th, 2015 #82
Crowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bev View Post
Adverts placed across not-Western Chongqing by not-Western surgeon Wang Xuming offering his highly popular technique that gives women an "Eiffel Tower" nose. A nose like the Western woman in the first picture, in fact. Apparently he carries out the procedure dozens of times every month.

I did explain this to you the last time you were here.
Another benefit of being White, you don't have to pay for plastic surgery to erase undesirable mongoloid features. It wouldn't surprise me if most non-Whites on the planet would choose to be White if they had a choice. Although, a slant-eyed nigger (Filipinos) like "proud asian" would need a lot more than a nose job. I guarantee that East Asians like the Japanese, Chinese or Koreans don't view slant eyed Filipino niggers as their racial brethren. The non-East Asian IQ range is quite a bit lower, closer to a mulatto's IQ or around 85. Average IQ of Filipinos happens to be 86.

Old April 29th, 2015 #83
Superior Asian

Quote:
I can't answer that because I don't have a clue what this channel is. It's not one we get in England.

So you think reality is the presenter of a TV channel whilst adverts featuring a Western woman persuading dozens of Asian girls a month to chop their nose up is nonsense. Right.

Look kid, I know you're obsessed with animé and the TV (and trolling VNNF) but real life ain't like that. The surgery is the reality. The TV is the pretend.

If I really did want to think deeply about it - which I don't because as I said, we don't have these channels but I'm going to assume that you are referring to an American channel featuring an Asian presenter - I'd be looking past the presenters to the channel owners and finding out why they chose Asian girls to sell cosmetics or whatever to Western women 'cos it doesn't seem too good a marketing strategy to me.

I have all on keeping up with the propaganda on British TV without taking on another country's.

Cry all you like, it's still a genuine advert placed across an Asian city and you just can't accept that a Western woman is being used in an advert to persuade your women to change their appearance.
The how-to beauty channel is channles in youtube or other video sites which teach peoples on how to make themselves look more beautiful, doing beauty technique, etc beauty related. The access can be accessed by anyone and anyone can choose who they want to follow there.

As for the ads you show still prove nothing and contradicts the reality such as what happen in the how-to beauty channels I mentioned.

Old April 29th, 2015 #84
Bev
drinking tea

Quote:
The how-to beauty channel is channles in youtube or other video sites which teach peoples on how to make themselves look more beautiful, doing beauty technique, etc beauty related. The access can be accessed by anyone and anyone can choose who they want to follow there.

As for the ads you show still prove nothing and contradicts the reality such as what happen in the how-to beauty channels I mentioned.

Hahahahahahaha! So an Asian advert for an Asian surgeon in Asian characters aimed at Asian people and displayed around a city in Asia is not a valid source, but someone's youtube channel IS?!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Emerson
It's probably a Youtube "channel." Today anyone can have a "channel", just like anyone can be an "author."
Well played.

Old April 29th, 2015 #85
Superior Asian

Quote:
Hahahahahahaha! So an Asian advert for an Asian surgeon in Asian characters aimed at Asian people and displayed around a city in Asia is not a valid source, but someone's youtube channel IS?!!

Well played.
Someone simply can make ads in the west about how westerners want to do surgery to be/look like Asian, if you want to talk about ads like that. The ads you mentioned have no base in reality which I have told about why it does not have it.

As for the youtube, it is not the person or videos but their followers, you gonna say that it is also possible to make millions of accounts in youtube to follow the channels? Yes it is possible but there is not only 1 Asian in youtube who rules the how-to beauty channels but all the top 10 are all Asians from different countries and backgrounds with tenth millions followers combined.

Old April 29th, 2015 #86
Bev
drinking tea

Quote:
Someone simply can make ads in the west about how westerners want to do surgery to be/look like Asian, if you want to talk about ads like that.
But the thing is, there isn't an epidemic of Westerners trying to look Asian, is there? It's the other way round, isn't it?

Quote:
The ads you mentioned have no base in reality which I have told about why it does not have it.
Can you rephrase that? Your English is very good but this sentence doesn't quite make sense.

Are you saying it's a fake ad and that the doctor, surgery and testimonials don't exist?

Quote:
As for the youtube, it is not the person or videos but their followers, you gonna say that it is also possible to make millions of accounts in youtube to follow the channels? Yes it is possible but there is not only 1 Asian in youtube who rules the how-to beauty channels but all the top 10 are all Asians from different countries and backgrounds with tenth millions followers combined.
Her popularity has nothing at all to do with the fact she's not just a beauty vlogger but a saleswoman, an author, a face for Lancome and bringing out a record label?

If she hadn't been signed up by Lancome (when, I might add, they saw her guide on copying the Western Lady GaGa's makeup) - turning her from a waitress with a youtube hobby into a star, would she be half as popular or as famous as she is?

She might not be the best example for you to use.

Old April 29th, 2015 #87
elbwgreez

Quote:
Source

The evidence which supported this are :
1. Asians are smarter.
2. Asians are youthful.
3. Asians are less smelly and less hairy.
4. Asians are the most attractive race.

Further explanation are on the source such as "one of the evidence of Asians are smarter is that only Asians who can make Anime up to this day".
1. Asians are smarter on average but have a smaller percentage of "geniuses" than Whites. Jews are smart too. So are Whites. Niggers are retarded buffoons. Moving on.

2. Asians look young? Is that what you mean? I don't understand your point, if you have one. Obviously a 70 year old Asian doesn't look young, so you're being silly.

3. You are probably correct. The only counter example I can provide is a Chinese exchange student I knew who had the worst breath I've ever smelled. She probably had dental issues.

4. Attractiveness is subjective. I mean, can you believe White women willingly fuck niggers, who frankly look like ugly gorillas? Beauty and art are all about deception and the malleability of the mind - ultimately a meaningless game.

Old April 29th, 2015 #88
CountryGuy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindaxxx View Post
Maybe because everything is cyclical. Asian, North African and Latin American countries had empires when the rest of the world lived in caves.
you call the pre colombian native americans ´´latin americans´´

Old April 30th, 2015 #89
Superior Asian

Quote:
But the thing is, there isn't an epidemic of Westerners trying to look Asian, is there? It's the other way round, isn't it?
The how-to beauty channels can also tell you how many westerners wish to be/look like Asian, for example the big majority of youtube user are westerners and most of them prefer to follow Asians in the how-to beauty channels.

Quote:
Can you rephrase that? Your English is very good but this sentence doesn't quite make sense.
The ads and claim you posted have no base or reflection in reality, because in reality Asians are still the one who rules the how-to beauty channels.

Quote:
Are you saying it's a fake ad and that the doctor, surgery and testimonials don't exist?
Nope, just the ads does not prove Asians who do surgery such as eye lid surgery are doing it to be/look like westerners.

Quote:
Her popularity has nothing at all to do with the fact she's not just a beauty vlogger but a saleswoman, an author, a face for Lancome and bringing out a record label?

If she hadn't been signed up by Lancome (when, I might add, they saw her guide on copying the Western Lady GaGa's makeup) - turning her from a waitress with a youtube hobby into a star, would she be half as popular or as famous as she is?

She might not be the best example for you to use.

https://youtu.be/N1P91BHofMI
Michellephan is not a good examples [ and no she is not fake/surgery stuff ], there are many Asians who rules the how-to beauty channels who don't do the same thing as michellephan [ besides the big majority of her videos is not about doing western based characters but Anime/Asian characters ] so your "lady gaga makeup" argument is invalid.

Also did you know that there are way much more westerners who try to teach something in the how-to beauty channels? But they got beaten by Asians there because like I said we Asians are the most attractive race.

Old May 1st, 2015 #90
Bev
drinking tea

Quote:
The how-to beauty channels can also tell you how many westerners wish to be/look like Asian, for example the big majority of youtube user are westerners and most of them prefer to follow Asians in the how-to beauty channels.
But you do see the difference between slapping on a bit of lippie and having plastic surgery, don't you?
Quote:

The ads and claim you posted have no base or reflection in reality, because in reality Asians are still the one who rules the how-to beauty channels.
Make-up washes off. Plastic surgery is permanent.
Quote:

Nope, just the ads does not prove Asians who do surgery such as eye lid surgery are doing it to be/look like westerners.
They're doing it to get a Western nose. The Western woman in profile in the advert sort of makes it obvious.
Quote:

Michellephan is not a good examples [ and no she is not fake/surgery stuff ], there are many Asians who rules the how-to beauty channels who don't do the same thing as michellephan [ besides the big majority of her videos is not about doing western based characters but Anime/Asian characters ] so your "lady gaga makeup" argument is invalid.
LOL so you reference the Asian beauty vlogger with the most followers and when I point out that she shot to fame by a) copying Lady GaGa's makeup not Lucy Liu's and b) being picked up by a Western company to help advertise their product, all of a sudden she isn't a good example.

The plastic surgery video looks pretty convincing to me.

Quote:
Also did you know that there are way much more westerners who try to teach something in the how-to beauty channels? But they got beaten by Asians there because like I said we Asians are the most attractive race.
The fact still remains that no matter how much Asian beauty vloggers are promoted by cosmetics companies or how many followers they have, it's ASIAN women having surgery to look more Western - and that includes the world's most-followed Asian. Western women might watch an Asian how-to video but at the end of the day, washing their faces undoes the whole thing. It's a little harder to undo plastic surgery.

Old May 1st, 2015 #91
Superior Asian

Quote:
But you do see the difference between slapping on a bit of lippie and having plastic surgery, don't you?

Make-up washes off. Plastic surgery is permanent.

They're doing it to get a Western nose. The Western woman in profile in the advert sort of makes it obvious.
Your claim that Asians doing plastic surgery to/be look like westerners still not proven. Or you trying to say that claim including from the dailymail is evidence? Unlike you, the how-to beauty channels I mentioned can show you tenth millions of peoples there that you can see with your own eyes.

Quote:
LOL so you reference the Asian beauty vlogger with the most followers and when I point out that she shot to fame by a) copying Lady GaGa's makeup not Lucy Liu's and b) being picked up by a Western company to help advertise their product, all of a sudden she isn't a good example.
You don't know what you are talking about :
1. She is not become popular because of doing lady gaga or other western characters make-up, style, etc. Did you even check her whole video? If you did then you will see that the views she got from doing western related stuff is not even up to 20% of her total video views, there are more of her videos doing Anime/Asian stuff while the other videos are about teaching how to stay beautiful, healty, etc using natural stuffs.

Quote:
The plastic surgery video looks pretty convincing to me.
That video made by kkk members just like who wrote the dailymail news you posted.

Quote:
The fact still remains that no matter how much Asian beauty vloggers are promoted by cosmetics companies or how many followers they have, it's ASIAN women having surgery to look more Western - and that includes the world's most-followed Asian. Western women might watch an Asian how-to video but at the end of the day, washing their faces undoes the whole thing. It's a little harder to undo plastic surgery.
You really don't know what you are talking about the how-to beauty channels so I will explain them to you :
1. There are not only 1 Asian who rule the how-to beauty channels, the michellephan example you mentioned is a bad example of what you are trying to prove. If you want to see the list of Asians who rules there then just ask me if you admit that you really don't know what you are talking about.
2. They are not become popular because of being sponsored, your logic become backwards because the reality is their popularity is what got them sponsored, are you thinking companies just hire a random person to advertise their stuff especially in youtube? They will choose a well known person which is why almost all the cast in ads are actors, actress, singers, etc well known peoples including youtube stars. Just imagine your hallucination is true abou them become popular due to being sponsored, then why would those companies only choose Asians and not anyone else to be sponsored? Mwahahaha
3. And again your plastic surgery nonsense have no base in reality, when you want to claim something then base on them on reality on not your hallucination, answer this "why are Asians still the one peoples choose to follow when they want to make themselves look more beautiful"? If Asians trying to be/look like westerners then those peoples would have follow westerners because Asians will be just inferior copy and not the superior original.

Old May 1st, 2015 #92
Alyss
vnn member

Why are you trying so hard to convince us that Asians are more superior than whites?

We whites know we are.... We don't care what others think, because we know that they know, whites are more superior than any other.

It is you that came here trying to convinced us otherwise.... Meaning you know whites are superior and to make yourself feel better, you need whites to agree with you.

BTW- in ASIA, white is adored and has much respect from the Asian community and countries. Asians don't held any kind of respect or honour towards anyone but whites.... Because asians know whites are superior!

Old May 2nd, 2015 #93
Bev
drinking tea

Quote:
Your claim that Asians doing plastic surgery to/be look like westerners still not proven. Or you trying to say that claim including from the dailymail is evidence? Unlike you, the how-to beauty channels I mentioned can show you tenth millions of peoples there that you can see with your own eyes.

You don't know what you are talking about :
1. She is not become popular because of doing lady gaga or other western characters make-up, style, etc. Did you even check her whole video? If you did then you will see that the views she got from doing western related stuff is not even up to 20% of her total video views, there are more of her videos doing Anime/Asian stuff while the other videos are about teaching how to stay beautiful, healty, etc using natural stuffs.

That video made by kkk members just like who wrote the dailymail news you posted.

You really don't know what you are talking about the how-to beauty channels so I will explain them to you :
1. There are not only 1 Asian who rule the how-to beauty channels, the michellephan example you mentioned is a bad example of what you are trying to prove. If you want to see the list of Asians who rules there then just ask me if you admit that you really don't know what you are talking about.
2. They are not become popular because of being sponsored, your logic become backwards because the reality is their popularity is what got them sponsored, are you thinking companies just hire a random person to advertise their stuff especially in youtube? They will choose a well known person which is why almost all the cast in ads are actors, actress, singers, etc well known peoples including youtube stars. Just imagine your hallucination is true abou them become popular due to being sponsored, then why would those companies only choose Asians and not anyone else to be sponsored? Mwahahaha
3. And again your plastic surgery nonsense have no base in reality, when you want to claim something then base on them on reality on not your hallucination, answer this "why are Asians still the one peoples choose to follow when they want to make themselves look more beautiful"? If Asians trying to be/look like westerners then those peoples would have follow westerners because Asians will be just inferior copy and not the superior original.

Wow - don't you become incoherent when you've been proved wrong?

Old May 2nd, 2015 #94
andy

It matters not a jot what ranting slopes claim facts are facts and self evident, go figure as they say

Physical appearance Orientals?

People with Down's syndrome often have certain physical characteristics. Not everyone will have all of them, but they may include:
•reduced muscle tone which results in floppiness (hypotonia)
•a small nose and flat nasal bridge
•a small mouth with a protruding tongue
•eyes that slant upwards and outwards
•a flat back of the head
•a big space between the first and second toe (sandal gap)
•broad hands with short fingers
•their palm may have only one crease across it (single transverse palmar crease)
•a below average weight and length at birth

Chase them into the swamps

Old May 2nd, 2015 #95
M.N. Dalvez

Quote:
Physical appearance Orientals?
Not actually true. 'Asians' with Down Syndrome (I've seen a few) actually resemble Whites with Down Syndrome more than they resemble other 'Asians'.

Quote:
You really don't know what you are talking about
As for 'Asians' wanting to emulate the White standard of beauty - I've seen god knows how many advertisements, for fashion and make-up and even for completely unrelated purposes, featuring Whites in 'Asia'. Even in areas where there are very few, or no, Whites present.

It's well-known that even the most ordinary-looking White can make a buck by appearing in such advertisements in most Asian countries.

'Superior Asian' (who as I've pointed out, is an ugly Filipino-looking mongrel with very little resemblance to East Asians such as Han, Japanese or Koreans) - that advertisement Bev posted is not an anomaly. It's the norm. As I said, I've personally seen hundreds, thousands, of advertisements just like it. And not just for cosmetic surgery, but for any and every purpose.

(Take from that fact what you will.)

Last edited by M.N. Dalvez; May 2nd, 2015 at 03:08 PM.

Old May 3rd, 2015 #96
M.N. Dalvez

In case you missed it, this is what 'Superior Asian' looks like. He wouldn't be too far out of place on Black Entertainment Television, would he?

Personally, I find the obsession with anime to be juvenile and stupid, but if something looking like him ever appeared in an anime, it'd be half-way up a tree eating bananas!

Last edited by M.N. Dalvez; May 3rd, 2015 at 04:18 AM.

Old May 3rd, 2015 #97
M.N. Dalvez

I've got a few suggestions for Anime characters who you could credibly cosplay, 'Superior Asian':

And especially:

Old May 3rd, 2015 #98
Crowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.N. Dalvez View Post
In case you missed it, this is what 'Superior Asian' looks like. He wouldn't be too far out of place on Black Entertainment Television, would he?
l
He looks like he'd assault a watermelon and a bucket of KFC. Maybe him and Miss Japan can share a bucket?

Who wants to bet that "Proud Asian" like most other niggers doesn't even know who his dad is? Probably an American nigger kwan merc who gave some Alabama black snake to a Filipino hooker, and he was the spawn created from the process. Like most other mixed muds, he's got racial and cultural identity issues.

Japan's nigress looks more Asian than he does. He's even darker than she is, and she's confirmed to be 1/2 nigger. What is "proud Asian"? 3/4 nigger? He's a prime candidate for the jews to use to promote diversity in Asian countries.

Last edited by Crowe; May 3rd, 2015 at 09:10 AM.

Old May 3rd, 2015 #99
M.N. Dalvez

Not to mention - 'Superior Asian' is apparently hated by the anime 'community' not just for who he is and for his views, but also for using the 'community' to be a creepy old late 20's (now he's in his early 30's - think about how pathetic that is for just a minute!) 'man' who tries to pick up teenage girls online.

The guy's a dead-set loser, that's all.

Old May 3rd, 2015 #100
RickHolland
Bread and Circuses

Quote:
The Meiji Restoration and Modernization

In 1868 the Tokugawa shôgun ("great general"), who ruled Japan in the feudal period, lost his power and the emperor was restored to the supreme position. The emperor took the name Meiji ("enlightened rule") as his reign name; this event was known as the Meiji Restoration.

The Reign of the Meiji Emperor

When the Meiji emperor was restored as head of Japan in 1868, the nation was a militarily weak country, was primarily agricultural, and had little technological development. It was controlled by hundreds of semi-independent feudal lords. The Western powers — Europe and the United States — had forced Japan to sign treaties that limited its control over its own foreign trade and required that crimes concerning foreigners in Japan be tried not in Japanese but in Western courts. When the Meiji period ended, with the death of the emperor in 1912, Japan had

· a highly centralized, bureaucratic government;
· a constitution establishing an elected parliament;
· a well-developed transport and communication system;
· a highly educated population free of feudal class restrictions;
· an established and rapidly growing industrial sector based on the latest technology; and
· a powerful army and navy.

Japan had regained complete control of its foreign trade and legal system, and, by fighting and winning two wars (one of them against a major European power, Russia), it had established full independence and equality in international affairs. In a little more than a generation, Japan had exceeded its goals, and in the process had changed its whole society. Japan's success in modernization has created great interest in why and how it was able to adopt Western political, social, and economic institutions in so short a time.

One answer is found in the Meiji Restoration itself. This political revolution "restored" the emperor to power, but he did not rule directly. He was expected to accept the advice of the group that had overthrown the shôgun, and it was from this group that a small number of ambitious, able, and patriotic young men from the lower ranks of the samurai emerged to take control and establish the new political system. At first, their only strength was that the emperor accepted their advice and several powerful feudal domains provided military support. They moved quickly, however, to build their own military and economic control. By July 1869 the feudal lords had been requested to give up their domains, and in 1871 these domains were abolished and transformed into prefectures of a unified central state.

The feudal lords and the samurai class were offered a yearly stipend, which was later changed to a one-time payment in government bonds. The samurai lost their class privileges, when the government declared all classes to be equal. By 1876 the government banned the wearing of the samurai's swords; the former samurai cut off their top knots in favor of Western-style haircuts and took up jobs in business and the professions.

The armies of each domain were disbanded, and a national army based on universal conscription was created in 1872, requiring three years' military service from all men, samurai and commoner alike. A national land tax system was established that required payment in money instead of rice, which allowed the government to stabilize the national budget. This gave the government money to spend to build up the strength of the nation.

Resistance and Rebellion Defeated

Although these changes were made in the name of the emperor and national defense, the loss of privileges brought some resentment and rebellion. When the top leadership left to travel in Europe and the United States to study Western ways in 1872, conservative groups argued that Japan should reply to Korean's refusal to revise a centuries old treaty with an invasion. This would help patriotic samurai to regain their importance. But the new leaders quickly returned from Europe and reestablished their control, arguing that Japan should concentrate on its own modernization and not engage in such foreign adventures.

For the next twenty years, in the 1870s and 1880s, the top priority remained domestic reform aimed at changing Japan's social and economic institutions along the lines of the model provided by the powerful Western nations. The final blow to conservative samurai came in the 1877 Satsuma rebellion, when the government's newly drafted army, trained in European infantry techniques and armed with modern Western guns, defeated the last resistance of the traditional samurai warriors. With the exception of these few samurai outbreaks, Japan's domestic transformation proceeded with remarkable speed, energy, and the cooperation of the people. This phenomenon is one of the major characteristics of Japan's modern history.

Ideology

In an effort to unite the Japanese nation in response to the Western challenge, the Meiji leaders created a civic ideology centered around the emperor. Although the emperor wielded no political power, he had long been viewed as a symbol of Japanese culture and historical continuity. He was the head of the Shintô religion, Japan's native religion. Among other beliefs, Shintô holds that the emperor is descended from the sun goddess and the gods who created Japan and therefore is semidivine. Westerners of that time knew him primarily as a ceremonial figure. The Meiji reformers brought the emperor and Shintô to national prominence, replacing Buddhism as the national religion, for political and ideological reasons. By associating Shintô with the imperial line, which reached back into legendary times, Japan had not only the oldest ruling house in the world, but a powerful symbol of age-old national unity.

The people seldom saw the emperor, yet they were to carry out his orders without question, in honor to him and to the unity of the Japanese people, which he represented. In fact, the emperor did not rule. It was his "advisers," the small group of men who exercised political control, that devised and carried out the reform program in the name of the emperor.

Social and Economic Changes

The abolition of feudalism made possible tremendous social and political changes. Millions of people were suddenly free to choose their occupation and move about without restrictions. By providing a new environment of political and financial security, the government made possible investment in new industries and technologies.

The government led the way in this, building railway and shipping lines, telegraph and telephone systems, three shipyards, ten mines, five munitions works, and fifty-three consumer industries (making sugar, glass, textiles, cement, chemicals, and other important products). This was very expensive, however, and strained government finances, so in 1880 the government decided to sell most of these industries to private investors, thereafter encouraging such activity through subsidies and other incentives. Some of the samurai and merchants who built these industries established major corporate conglomerates called zaibatsu, which controlled much of Japan's modern industrial sector.

The government also introduced a national educational system and a constitution, creating an elected parliament called the Diet. They did this to provide a good environment for national growth, win the respect of the Westerners, and build support for the modern state. In the Tokugawa period, popular education had spread rapidly, and in 1872 the government established a national system to educate the entire population. By the end of the Meiji period, almost everyone attended the free public schools for at least six years. The government closely controlled the schools, making sure that in addition to skills like mathematics and reading, all students studied "moral training," which stressed the importance of their duty to the emperor, the country and their families.

The 1889 constitution was "given" to the people by the emperor, and only he (or his advisers) could change it. A parliament was elected beginning in 1890, but only the wealthiest one percent of the population could vote in elections. In 1925 this was changed to allow all men (but not yet women) to vote.

To win the recognition of the Western powers and convince them to change the unequal treaties the Japanese had been forced to sign in the 1850s, Japan changed its entire legal system, adopting a new criminal and civil code modeled after those of France and Germany. The Western nations finally agreed to revise the treaties in 1894, acknowledging Japan as an equal in principle, although not in international power.

The International Climate: Colonialism and Expansion

In 1894 Japan fought a war against China over its interest in Korea, which China claimed as a vassal state. The Korean peninsula is the closest part of Asia to Japan, less than 100 miles by sea, and the Japanese were worried that the Russians might gain control of that weak nation. Japan won the war and gained control over Korea and gained Taiwan as a colony. Japan's sudden, decisive victory over China surprised the world and worried some European powers.

At this time the European nations were beginning to claim special rights in China — the French, with their colony in Indochina (today's Vietnam, Laos, and Cambodia), were involved in South China; the British also claimed special rights in South China, near Hong Kong, and later the whole Yangtze valley; and the Russians, who were building a railway through Siberia and Manchuria, were interested in North China. After Japan's victory over China, Japan signed a treaty with China which gave Japan special rights on China's Liaotung peninsula, in addition to the control of Taiwan. But Japan's victory was short lived. Within a week, France, Russia, and Germany combined to pressure Japan to give up rights on the Liaotung peninsula. Each of these nations then began to force China to give it ports, naval bases, and special economic rights, with Russia taking the same Liaotung peninsula that Japan had been forced to return.

The Japanese government was angered by this incident and drew the lesson that for Japan to maintain its independence and receive equal treatment in international affairs, it was necessary to strengthen its military even further. By 1904, when the Russians were again threatening to establish control over Korea, Japan was much stronger. It declared war on Russia and, using all its strength, won victory in 1905 (beginning with a surprise naval attack on Port Arthur, which gained for Japan the control of the China Sea). Japan thus achieved dominance over Korea and established itself a colonial power in East Asia.

The Period 1912-1941

The Meiji reforms brought great changes both within Japan and in Japan's place in world affairs. Japan strengthened itself enough to remain a sovereign nation in the face of Western colonizing powers and indeed became a colonizing power itself. During the Taishô period (1912-1926), Japanese citizens began to ask for more voice in the government and for more social freedoms. During this time, Japanese society and the Japanese political system were significantly more open than they were either before or after. The period has often been called the period of "Taishô democracy." One explanation is that, until World War I, Japan enjoyed record breaking economic prosperity. The Japanese people had more money to spend, more leisure, and better education, supplemented by the development of mass media. Increasingly they lived in cities where they came into contact with influences from abroad and where the traditional authority of the extended family was less influential. Industrialization in itself undermined traditional values, emphasizing instead efficiency, independence, materialism, and individualism. During these years Japan saw the emergence of a "mass society" very similar to the "Roaring 20s" in the United States. During these years also, the Japanese people began to demand universal manhood suffrage which they won in 1925. Political parties increased their influence, becoming powerful enough to appoint their own prime ministers between 1918 and 1931.

At the end of World War I, however, Japan entered a severe economic depression. The bright, optimistic atmosphere of the Taishô period gradually disappeared. Political party government was marred by corruption. The government and military, consequently, grew stronger, the parliament weaker. The advanced industrial sector became increasingly controlled by a few giant businesses, the zaibatsu. Moreover, Japan's international relations were disrupted by trade tensions and by growing international disapproval of Japan's activities in China. But success in competing with the European powers in East Asia strengthened the idea that Japan could, and should, further expand its influence on the Asian mainland by military force.

Japan's need for natural resources and the repeated rebuffs from the West to Japan's attempts to expand its power in Asia paved the way for militarists to rise to power. Insecurity in international relations allowed a right-wing militaristic faction to control first foreign, then domestic, policy. With the military greatly influencing the government, Japan began an aggressive military campaign throughout Asia, and then, in 1941, bombed Pearl Harbor.

Summary

The most important feature of the Meiji period was Japan's struggle for recognition of its considerable achievement and for equality with Western nations. Japan was highly successful in organizing an industrial, capitalist state on Western models. But when Japan also began to apply the lessons it learned from European imperialism, the West reacted negatively. In a sense Japan's chief handicap was that it entered into the Western dominated world order at a late stage. Colonialism and the racist ideology that accompanied it, were too entrenched in Western countries to allow an "upstart," nonwhite nation to enter the race for natural resources and markets as an equal. Many of the misunderstandings between the West and Japan stemmed from Japan's sense of alienation from the West, which seemed to use a different standard in dealing with European nations than it did with a rising Asian power like Japan.
http://afe.easia.columbia.edu/specia...1750_meiji.htm
Only force rules. Force is the first law - Adolf H. http://erectuswalksamongst.us/ http://tinyurl.com/cglnpdj Man has become great through struggle - Adolf H. http://tinyurl.com/mo92r4z Strength lies not in defense but in attack - Adolf H.

Thread