VNN Digital Library
VNN Reader Mail
VNN Broadcasts

Old December 5th, 2016 #1
Karl Radl
The Epitome of Evil

Default Roald Dahl: Legendary Children’s Author and Fanatical Anti-Semite

Roald Dahl: Legendary Children’s Author and Fanatical Anti-Semite

The legendary British children’s author Roald Dahl is someone who really dominated my childhood. I remember reading ‘Charlie and the Chocolate Factory’, ‘The Twits’ and ‘The BFG’ with absolute delight.

Imagine my exultation then when I noticed that major jewish publications like ‘The Jewish Daily Forward’, by trying to vilify Dahl, informed me that he held strong anti-jewish, even possibly anti-Semitic, opinions. (1) The BBC, which as I have documented elsewhere is dominated by jews, (2) has also run a similar hit piece vilifying Dahl. (3)

Naturally I decided I would take a look at what Dahl’s biographers had to say on the matter and I wasn’t disappointed.

To quote biographer Jeremy Treglown:

‘There is no question that although Dahl had several Jewish friends, his anti-Semitic jokes were of a piece with an underlying dislike of Jews in general and Zionists in particular.’ (4)

As well as:

‘Dahl was no mere anti-Zionist […] he was fairly consistently and by no means secretly anti-Semitic.’ (5)

Indeed in ‘The Gremlins’ written in the summer of 1946 during the Nuremberg Trials; Dahl glorified ‘The Leader’ – a direct nod to the recently deceased Adolf Hitler and Benito Mussolini – who advocated the complete destruction of Communism and its replacement with an ‘internationalist, libertarian, anti-Industrial dictatorship.’ (6)

In the same work one of the more famous literary attacks that Dahl made on the jews occurs when he brutally satirises them as follows:

‘A little pawnbroker in Houndsditch called Meatbein who, when the wailing started, would rush downstairs to the large safe in which he kept his money, open it and wriggle inside on to the lowest shelf where he lay like a hibernating hedgehog until the all-clear had gone.’ (7)

This theme of jewish cowardice and obsessive fixation with money commonly reoccurs in Dahl’s thought on the jews. Throughout his life, as a highly decorated former combat pilot, Dahl accused the jews – not without reason I might add - of being inveterate cowards and believed that all they really wanted to do was steal other people’s money not fight for it.

This feeds us nicely into point out Dahl’s habit of engaging in what we would now call trolling of jews, jewish organisations and their non-jewish supporters.

For example in the years immediately after the Second World War Dahl was asked to fund the Stepney Jewish Girls (B’nai B’rith) Club and Settlement in East London. He not only didn’t send any money to the jews (as he believed they had more than enough of their own and shouldn’t be asking non-jews to fund their community organisations), but he faked a letter that he sent to their supporters badgering him about how he had indeed sent them money. (8)

The resulting weeks of confusion, accusations and counter-accusations among the jews and their non-jewish supporters amused Dahl no end.

In another instance in 1974 at a dinner at the Curzon House Club; Dahl loudly complained that too many jews were in attendance. He then promptly got up and made an anti-Semitic speech against them and left the club. For this act of brave, if somewhat drunken, principle: Dahl was deprived of his membership at the club. (9)

Dahl didn’t stop there either.

He routinely made fun of jews in his works (such as the character ‘Madame Rosette’ who he described as a ‘filthy old Syrian Jewess’), (10) he delighted at making fun of jewish surnames in his letters (11)and made anti-Semitic jokes to his friends like: ‘The best part of those two guys was thrown away when they circumcised.’ (12)

In June 1982 after Israel invaded Lebanon; Dahl asserted that all thinking people had ‘started hating the Jews’, while openly proclaimed that he was ‘violently anti-Jewish’ and called for the annihilation of Israel. (13)

This provoked the slavishly philo-Semitic Catholic literary apparatchik Paul Johnson to denounce the ‘Literary Review’ for publishing Dahl’s article which he referred to as ‘pure filth’ and call for a boycott of the publication. (14)

Despite this being unsuccessful; it didn’t stop jews - particularly those in Israel – from boycotting Dahl’s works, (15) turning his publishers against him (16) and trying to undermine his status as the preeminent children’s author of the twentieth century. (17)

We can thus see that Dahl while was in no way a hardened anti-Semite in the vein of Julius Streicher. He was stridently opposed to Israel (wanting the USA to help the British Empire subdue and wipe out the Zionists) (18) and identified all jews as being Israelis. (19)

Thus Sturrock’s contention that it is ‘hard to prove that Dahl was anti-Semitic’ (20) is simply nonsense, because it presupposes that being anti-Semitic is contingent on not having any jewish acquaintances with whom one is friendly.

That wouldn’t have been true of Adolf Hitler for heaven’s sake!

Dahl was most definitely anti-Semitic, because he defined jewishness biologically (i.e. jews are a nation) and he believed jews were generally-speaking bad people who disliked non-jews. (21)

Thus by any definition of the term (including the academic one) he was anti-Semitic.

References

(1) http://forward.com/culture/349732/ha...e-anti-semite/
(2) http://www.semiticcontroversies.blog...ce-at-bbc.html
(3) http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-wales-37400468
(4) Jeremy Treglown, 1994, ‘Roald Dahl: A Biography’, 1st Edition, Faber and Faber: London, p. 89
(5) Ibid, p. 237
(6) Ibid, p. 83
(7) Ibid, p. 82
(8) Ibid, p. 88
(9) Ibid, p. 202
(10) Ibid, p. 237
(11) Ibid, p. 88
(12) Ibid, p. 237
(13) Ibid, pp. 237-238
(14) Ibid, p. 238
(15) Ibid, p. 239
(16) Donald Sturrock, 2010, ‘Storyteller: The Life of Roald Dahl’, 1st Edition, Harper Press: London, p. 508
(17) http://forward.com/culture/349732/ha...e-anti-semite/
(18) Treglown, Op. Cit., p. 89
(19) Ibid, p. 237
(20) Sturrock, Op. Cit., p. 509
(21) Ibid, pp. 510-511

--------------------------------------

This was originally published at the following address: http://bit.ly/2g1Xbza

Old February 12th, 2017 #2
whiteknight

Default recommendations

Thanks for the great shockers about many of my favorite authors--glad to see we're in good company. A request is best:
find someone to narrate O T Gunnarson's "Hear the Cradle Song" and post it to YTUBE---the robot voice is not cutting it. I myself have neither skill nor book to offer to the world.

Old March 11th, 2020 #3
Stewart Meadows

Published today on the jewish news site JTA:

Quote:
Taika Waititi adapting anti-Semite Roald Dahl’s work is exactly what we need

BY A.R. VISHNY MARCH 11, 2020 2:30 PM

Netflix just announced that the Academy Award-winning Maori-Jewish filmmaker Taika Waititi will write, direct and executive produce two series based on the work of author Roald Dahl for the streaming platform. The first is based on “Charlie and the Chocolate Factory,” focusing specifically on the Oompa-Loompas.

This was easily the best news of the week. It’s not just that Taika Waititi is an incredibly talented filmmaker. It’s not just that his trademark dark, quirky humor makes him a perfect fit for this project. It’s not just that Waititi’s work always manages to be moving and delightful.

No, what really makes this project exciting is that it would have totally pissed off Roald Dahl.

In case you weren’t aware, Roald Dahl was an anti-Semite. And not a subtle one. In a 1983 interview with the New Statesman, Dahl stated, “There is a trait in the Jewish character that does provoke animosity, maybe it’s a kind of lack of generosity towards non-Jews. I mean, there’s always a reason why anti-anything crops up anywhere; even a stinker like Hitler didn’t just pick on them for no reason.”

Oh, and in case you thought this was a one-time oops, he did clarify again with the Independent, just before his death in 1990, that he really, really hated Jews. In the interview, Dahl describes himself as anti-Semitic and says, “There aren’t any non-Jewish publishers anywhere, they control the media – jolly clever thing to do – that’s why the president of the United States has to sell all this stuff to Israel.”

Just so we’re clear: He was proud of it. He never apologized. He went to his grave believing that Jews control the media and that Hitler “didn’t just pick on them for no reason.”
Read the rest here:

https://www.jta.org/2020/03/11/cultu...y-what-we-need

Old March 11th, 2020 #4
bedford

I am sure the jews will produce a hit piece about him that is full of distortions
and lies just like they did with that movie Black Klansman that slandered David
Duke. Unfortunately in David Duke's case a lot of people don't know the good
work that he does for whites or they haven't read his books, as I have.
so they get their main information about him with these dishonest films.

Old September 22nd, 2020 #5
steven clark

Default Ronald Dahl: Legendary Children's Author

Taika Watiti (also named Cohen, by the way), did a film about Hitler I reviewed on our movies thread a year ago. It's a joke movie, so be warned. but read the review.
As for Dahl, interesting that the First movie of Willie Wonka had Gene Wilder in it, a Jew.

The Tim Burton remake of Willie Wonka, with Johnny Depp, was considered 'dark' and 'strange' compared to Wilder's Wonka, but is said by many to be much closer to Dahl's book, and members of Dahl's family agreed with that.

If you get the DVD, there's a good bio of Dahl, although the Jew stuff is left out.

Old December 7th, 2020 #6
Stewart Meadows

Quote:
Roald Dahl’s family apologizes ‘for the lasting and understandable hurt’ caused by his anti-Semitism

DECEMBER 7, 2020 6:00 AM

(JTA) — Thirty years after Roald Dahl’s death and months before the expected release of a new movie about his life, the family of the children’s author has apologized for his anti-Semitic comments.

Dahl was openly anti-Semitic during his life, telling the New Statesman in 1983 about the Jews, “Even a stinker like Hitler didn’t just pick on them for no reason.”

Those comments and others have colored Dahl’s legacy, even as children continue to enjoy the stories he wrote during his 50-year publishing career, including “Charlie and the Chocolate Factory” and “James and the Giant Peach.” A new movie of “The Witches” released in October reignited criticism of anti-Semitic tropes in the 1983 novel.

Now, his family has released an undated, unsigned, 86-word apology. First revealed by the Sunday Times this weekend, the apology is not featured prominently on Dahl’s website, and neither it nor further comments to the New York Times mentions Jews specifically. Here it is in full:
(...)
The apology has not fully satisfied Jewish groups in Dahl’s native England, which reportedly were not consulted or informed about the statement.
(...)
Rabbi Danya Ruttenberg, who is writing a book about Jewish perspectives on apologies and forgiveness, also said that she found the apology lacking.
https://www.jta.org/quick-reads/roal...-anti-semitism

Rabbi Danya Ruttenberg. "Trust me, goyim."

Tags
famous anti semite, roald dahl

Thread