VNN Media
VNN Digital Library
VNN Reader Mail
VNN Broadcasts

Old March 16th, 2005 #1
Stan Sikorski
Returned

Default Broadcast Tech

Use this thread to post technical suggestions and solutions to broadcasting production. This thread will be valuable as the network progresses.

Old March 23rd, 2005 #2
The King

Are you familiar with this SS ?

http://www.streamerp2p.com/?page=moreinfo.htm

http://www.streamerp2p.com/ (Home page)

It's P2P but it looks like it might be a good way to propogate the broadcast without using a lot of bandwidth. If there were ten people on the u.s. east coast who could be counted on to stay logged in for each program in its entirety and ten people on the west coast who would do the same it could really spread the load around. A couple people in Scandinavia could help out in Europe doing the same thing, especially in Sweden where the Freedom of Speech laws are pretty close to what exists in the states.

Old March 23rd, 2005 #3
Stan Sikorski
Returned

Interesting. I'll look into it and thanks

Old March 23rd, 2005 #4
Ossian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The King

especially in Sweden where the Freedom of Speech laws are pretty close to what exists in the states.
I did not know that! --I thought that "holocaust denial" etc., was a punishable offense in Sweden!?

Old March 24th, 2005 #5
Frank Toliver
Formerly Cowboy Zeke

Default Try this

Video Conferencing

It is always better to have a face than just a voice.

Old March 28th, 2005 #6
SyTH88

I know how to manipulate video rather well. At one point I was planning to create something in the line of a video product but due to no funding to spare I gave up on it.

Old March 28th, 2005 #7
SyTH88

While i'm at it, you need a triple CCD camcorder to do this, no less than 1/3" CCDs anything less would give too much smudging, the bigger the CCD the better but those kinds of camcorders cost big bucks, we're talking 7,000$ on up for half inch tripple CCD camcorders in the DV flavor. DVPRO being the best since it has the least compression used and can be decompressed into a lossless video codec for further video manipulation before being recompressed to whatever format you want, MPEG-2 for DVD for example.

Old March 28th, 2005 #8
Stan Sikorski
Returned

I don't see any reason why those with the tech, editing and production value savvy cannot create content for the network at this point. If you have it in you, do it.

Old March 31st, 2005 #9
MidnightStar14

Default Another Idea for Implementing Distributed Stream Bandwidth

I noticed 'The King' recommended using StreamerP2P,so that broadband-equipped listeners could provide extra bandwidth for listening to the VNN Broadcasting Network w/o overloading Stan's server.

If one wanted to do something similar to this w/o requiring proprietary client software for listening,then perhaps the broadband-equipped among us could set up Shoutcast relay servers instead.

Here's how I see this working:

Stan's server provides the main broadcast stream to regional servers. (East Coast USA,Southwest USA,Sweden,Denmark,etc.)
The regional servers are set up to relay the broadcast stream from VNN's main stream server.
Local servers (using just your DSL or cable connection) could then relay the broadcast from regional servers.

I'm not sure how high quality of a stream Stan wants to do on his end; if VNN
Broadcasting is going to stick to talk and news and avoid music, you could probably get away with 24-32K bitrate streams.

If we take a wild (and probably somewhat optimistic) guess and say that most of your DSL/Cable connections out there have about 384K upstream bandwidth, that means that each little relay server can handle (384/32) = 12 users...but we'll just say 10 to compensate for overhead.

So then... One connection is made to VNN Broadcasting's main server by the relay server for the Texas area. Itz just a little server like I said,on a little DSL line that tops out at 384K upstream. About 10 clients can connect and listen to 32K streams w/o problems.

Those clients can be listeners,or more relay servers: for Austin,San Antonio,Dallas,Houston,etc..each with the ability to carry 9-10 listeners at the bitrate before mentioned with the bandwidth limitations mentioned.

To tie all this together, the volunteers crazy enough to sacrifice their upstream bandwidth should register on a dynamic IP DNS service like www.no-ip.org and make a domain name for their username with a common name template. i.e. vnnaustin.no-ip.org, vnndallas.no-ip.org, vnnstockholm.no-ip.org.

One can then provide hyperlinks for these from the main server,or one could use these servers in the m3u file that a listener's mp3 player program accesses to find a server. Specify multiple servers in the m3u file and the client program goes down the list of servers until it finds one that's not busy.

Alternatively,one could set up the relay servers to make their presence known to the Shoutcast.com directory,again using a common name template like "VNN Broadcasting Network - Austin Server 1". Listeners would just search for any station with the phrase "VNN" or "VNN Broadcasting" and get a nice pretty list of servers to click on and listen to.

The one big problem I see with this,now that I'm thinking about it is that having this great huge pyramid of relay servers providing the stream bandwidth provides lots of targets for anti-White hackers to run denial-of-service attacks on. Keeping the setups homogenous on so many servers wouldn't be fun either.

your thoughts?

Old April 1st, 2005 #10
The King

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightStar14
I noticed 'The King' recommended using StreamerP2P, so that broadband-equipped listeners could provide extra bandwidth for listening to the VNN Broadcasting Network w/o overloading Stan's server.
Hello MS14. I must stress that I'm not necessarily recommending Streamer, I have no experience with it myself. A friend of mine who works for an internet portal here suggested we take a look at it. I'm strictly going by what she says and what Streamer advertises at their website, and as you know that can sometimes be misleading. However my friend told me Streamer has a good reputation for utility amongst small internet broadcasters.

Quote:
If one wanted to do something similar to this w/o requiring proprietary client software for listening,then perhaps the broadband-equipped among us could set up Shoutcast relay servers instead.

Here's how I see this working:

Stan's server provides the main broadcast stream to regional servers. (East Coast USA, Southwest, USA, Sweden, Denmark, etc.) The regional servers are set up to relay the broadcast stream from VNN's main stream server. Local servers (using just your DSL or cable connection) could then relay the broadcast from regional servers.

I'm not sure how high quality of a stream Stan wants to do on his end; if VNN Broadcasting is going to stick to talk and news and avoid music, you could probably get away with 24-32K bitrate streams.

If we take a wild (and probably somewhat optimistic) guess and say that most of your DSL/Cable connections out there have about 384K upstream bandwidth, that means that each little relay server can handle (384/32) = 12 users...but we'll just say 10 to compensate for overhead.

So then... One connection is made to VNN Broadcasting's main server by the relay server for the Texas area. Itz just a little server like I said, on a little DSL line that tops out at 384K upstream. About 10 clients can connect and listen to 32K streams w/o problems.

Those clients can be listeners,or more relay servers: for Austin, San Antonio, Dallas, Houston, etc. each with the ability to carry 9-10 listeners at the bitrate before mentioned with the bandwidth limitations mentioned.
Yes, this is approximately what I had in mind in order to spread around the load. However now you're talking about relatively large bitrate capable "substations." This would essentially require several high speed connections and high bitrate hardware and more or less dedicated servers in most metro areas to absorb any DOS attacks, as you mention below. I would use the analogy of a tree with one main trunk and several branches spreading outward to describe your suggestion. Streamer uses that same anology btw. However I look at Streamer in theory as more a spiderweb than a tree. Rather than say twenty five "substation" branch connections to Stan's server which would feed the broadcast downstream, as you've described it, the Streamer software would (in theory) allow say one hundred connections to Stan's server. Each one of those hundred connections would serve as a mini-relay station in itself, albeit capable of only passing the stream along to perhaps three or five people.
According to the Streamer website, the software performs a continual connection check and distributes the load amongst users as the load varies. This arrangement would be much less vulnerable to DOS attack imo. Again I'll stress I do not have experience using the Streamer software, I'm using what they claim at their website as reference.

Quote:
To tie all this together, the volunteers crazy enough to sacrifice their upstream bandwidth should register on a dynamic IP DNS service like www.no-ip.org and make a domain name for their username with a common name template. i.e. vnnaustin.no-ip.org, vnndallas.no-ip.org, vnnstockholm.no-ip.org.
One can then provide hyperlinks for these from the main server,or one could use these servers in the m3u file that a listener's mp3 player program accesses to find a server. Specify multiple servers in the m3u file and the client program goes down the list of servers until it finds one that's not busy.

Alternatively, one could set up the relay servers to make their presence known to the Shoutcast.com directory, again using a common name template like "VNN Broadcasting Network - Austin Server 1". Listeners would just search for any station with the phrase "VNN" or "VNN Broadcasting" and get a nice pretty list of servers to click on and listen to.
I think those are excellent suggestions, but would probably be practical only after setting up a dedicated hardware network u.s.a.-wide or worldwide for that matter. At present I think getting on the air with what we have is the best course of action, even if it's each listener making a direct connection to Stan's server. Then we can react to technical matters as they occur. There is no better way to find faults and areas that need attention than to simply launch the broadcast then address problems that present themselves.

Quote:
The one big problem I see with this,now that I'm thinking about it is that having this great huge pyramid of relay servers providing the stream bandwidth provides lots of targets for anti-White hackers to run denial-of- service attacks on. Keeping the setups homogenous on so many servers wouldn't be fun either. Your thoughts?
Agreed. But eventually it would be possible to secure enough hardware on high speed connections that all but the most organised DOS attack could be absorbed, and listeners would have the option of connecting to alternate servers.

Good and interesting thoughts all the way round MS14.

Old April 1st, 2005 #11
MidnightStar14

One thing to keep in mind: I'd actually planned my 'tree of relay servers' idea based on the type of broadband connections many users already have,or could set up for less than US$100/mo here in the U.S. I probably should've been thinking about arrangements for countries where the same bandwidth is much more expensive. I agree that my idea would be much,much worse with setup time than Streamer would,where extra bandwidth for listeners is added every time someone with DSL or a cable modem clicks on the link to listen.

Stan said he had a T1 link going into the server he has set up right now. Unless we're going hog-wild with 320Kbit quality live streams,plenty of users should be able to hop aboard without problems even w/o assistance from subservers.

Old April 5th, 2005 #12
Stan Sikorski
Returned

I am interseted in this p2p/additional broadband relay idea. I have been working on the updated equipment/software list and need numbers to figure into a representative financial prosepectus regarding that scenario. Throw some cost numbers at me to secure services in this realm if you have the time.

I was already thinking of bouncing the broadcasts off the main VNN server to lighten the load on my server. My server is mainly the root of the tree and I would like to keep it as free as possible when doing live broadcasts. The software will have more memory to play with that way.

Old April 7th, 2005 #13
MidnightStar14

One more problem with Streamer:

While it technically works fine, the yellow-pages page and the "seed" servers that compile lists of stations are run by the programmer,who happens to be an anti. I was personally banned from broadcasting when I was running a test relay stream from Frank Weltner's site last week.

Unless I can figure out how to configure StreamerP2P so it uses only our network resources and doesn't announce itself to the programmer's servers or YP page, I'm not so sure how well that'll work.

Costs using either Shoutcast relays or StreamerP2P are the same,really.

The software itself is free.

My own bandwidth costs for 384K upstream DSL (SBC in Austin,TX) are about $50/mo..agree to a 1yr contract and that monthly cost goes down to about $30/mo. I can upgrade to 512k upstream for about $10 more per month. Cable modem service (RoadRunner residential or business class) should be about the same.

http://radiowhiteaustin.no-ip.org is running off a dual p2/400 box w/192mb ram. Cost of the machine? Under $100.
I figure you could get away with a 350mhz PC with around 128MB RAM,and just enough hard drive space to hold an operating system.. probably available for no more than $200 for each machine if you wanted to use desktop systems. Each machine's probably not going to have more than 32 users on it unless one gets a really nice business class 2Mbps cable connection,so you really don't need huge amounts of CPU and memory.

Operating system costs could be a problem if you wanted to set up new systems with M$ operating systems. However. Shoutcast's server is available for Linux and FreeBSD as well...no $ needed to download an ISO of the installation CD,and I can aid in setting up relay servers for those OSes. NetBSD and OpenBSD (two more free to download,open source OSes) should be able to run FreeBSD binaries for the same hardware platform with some extra setup work.

Setting up domains like I'm using shouldn't cost anything on www.no-ip.org. If one has a static IP connection,one could set themselves up as a subdomain from vanguardnewsnetwork.com. (i.e. radio1.vanguardnewsnetwork.com). Do you or Alex have control over that,if someone wanted to offer up their static IP cable or DSL connected system to our efforts?

What other costs did you have in mind? I'm sure I'm missing something else here.maybe I'll think of it at work.

Old April 9th, 2005 #14
SkinnyMonkey

Rather than trying to reinvent the wheel, why not just support the National Alliance's ADV broadcasts or Frank Weltner's Majority News Network. Is this about white survival or hobbyists egos? Isn't VNN just making a useless effort to entertain and justify the do-nothing racists who infest the forum? Think about it, seriously.

Old April 9th, 2005 #15
MidnightStar14

I don't consider VNN Broadcasting to be "reinventing the wheel"..just the creation of another "company", "selling" programming to White audiences.

Getting more White voices onto the 'Net,and possibly the airwaves in the future is activism,BTW.

What's wrong with 'entertainment'? Jews did most of the reshaping of White thinking through entertainment shows on radio and TV.

Old April 10th, 2005 #16
Stan Sikorski
Returned

As far as I'm concerned, and I believe I'm not alone, the start-up of the VNN broadcasting network is to provide a voice that isn't compromised by any agenda other than to provide an entertaining message of exposing the jew and itz antics as they pertain to White interests, as well as informing Whites of alternatives to jew dictated life. That is the goal and I have dedicated my time and energy to making it a vibrant and cutting edge voice for our White interests. NA? More power to em. Anyone else throwing into the mix? Hail Victory! VNN using the resources of its members and contributors in the way only VNN can? Hell Yeah!

Old April 10th, 2005 #17
The King

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightStar14
One more problem with Streamer:

While it technically works fine, the yellow-pages page and the "seed" servers that compile lists of stations are run by the programmer,who happens to be an anti. I was personally banned from broadcasting when I was running a test relay stream from Frank Weltner's site last week. Etc.
Thanks MS14. It's better to know now that we won't be able to use any of the commercial p2p broadcast software.

Looks like we'll have to use the sledgehammer approach and utilise additional hardware since we likely don't have anyone capable of writing a customised p2p program.

Peercast
is supposed to be a good utility as well but I suspect we would run into the same refusal of service that you encountered with Streamer.

Are you or Stan any kind of computer mechanic ?

What do you think about this:

Used machines are fairly cheap. If we picked up three of those and upgraded the processors, that configuration would present a firewall between the outside world and Stan's server (connect the used machines to Stan's server through an eight port router). Those would serve as three alternate streams that would be available in case of DOS attack (or five or eight streams etc. depending on how many additional PCs we would eventually purchase and incorporate into the mini-broadcast network).

Maybe there are a few forum members who have an old machine that they no longer use and they'd be willing to ship it to you or Stan or Alex (Alex could pass them along if anonymity is an issue). If no one has a machine he's willing to donate a used tower in good shape can be purchased here for approximately US $100. I would guess they're probably the same price or cheaper in the states. If three machines could be had for three hundred dollars, and we made a 3.4 Ghz processor upgrade for each at five hundred dollars per machine, plus a hundred dollars more for a router the cost would be approximately US $1900 to get on the air full time with multi-streams. Does that sound feasible or do you have something else in mind ?

I think we'll have to do everything we can to avoid using any commercial software or putting ourselves in a position to be blocked by a third party. In the case of an IP that threat cannot be eliminated of course but all choke points beyond the local provider must be avoided. We could gradually acquire more used PCs and offer say six or eight streams or more if that became necessary. The PC "mini-servers" would necessarily be directly connected and physically located alongside Stan's server, but the added costs for Stan running and maintaining that much hardware would be figured into the broadcast fees. Stan would be reimbursed for that according to whatever arrangement he wanted to work out with Linder.

If we put together a three PC bank, each with a 3.4 gig capability that would allow three fairly robust streams. I think it would be a good place to start then increase the hardware if and when necessary.

Those are just my initial thoughts, maybe you have alternate suggestions.

Old April 10th, 2005 #18
Hibernian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyMonkey
Rather than trying to reinvent the wheel, why not just support the National Alliance's ADV broadcasts or Frank Weltner's Majority News Network. Is this about white survival or hobbyists egos? Isn't VNN just making a useless effort to entertain and justify the do-nothing racists who infest the forum? Think about it, seriously.

I'm with Stan Sikorsky on this one...The more the merrier.

KAS does a good job with ADV.

I believe Alex Linder and VNN radio will do even better.

Just my opinion.

Old April 10th, 2005 #19
Stan Sikorski
Returned

Quote:
Originally Posted by The King

Are you or Stan any kind of computer mechanic ?

What do you think about this:

Used machines are fairly cheap. If we picked up three of those and upgraded the processors, that configuration would present a firewall between the outside world and Stan's server (connect the used machines to Stan's server through an eight port router). Those would serve as three alternate streams that would be available in case of DOS attack (or five or eight streams etc. depending on how many additional PCs we would eventually purchase and incorporate into the mini-broadcast network).

Maybe there are a few forum members who have an old machine that they no longer use and they'd be willing to ship it to you or Stan or Alex (Alex could pass them along if anonymity is an issue). If no one has a machine he's willing to donate a used tower in good shape can be purchased here for approximately US $100. I would guess they're probably the same price or cheaper in the states. If three machines could be had for three hundred dollars, and we made a 3.4 Ghz processor upgrade for each at five hundred dollars per machine, plus a hundred dollars more for a router the cost would be approximately US $1900 to get on the air full time with multi-streams. Does that sound feasible or do you have something else in mind ?

I think we'll have to do everything we can to avoid using any commercial software or putting ourselves in a position to be blocked by a third party. In the case of an IP that threat cannot be eliminated of course but all choke points beyond the local provider must be avoided. We could gradually acquire more used PCs and offer say six or eight streams or more if that became necessary. The PC "mini-servers" would necessarily be directly connected and physically located alongside Stan's server, but the added costs for Stan running and maintaining that much hardware would be figured into the broadcast fees. Stan would be reimbursed for that according to whatever arrangement he wanted to work out with Linder.

If we put together a three PC bank, each with a 3.4 gig capability that would allow three fairly robust streams. I think it would be a good place to start then increase the hardware if and when necessary.

Those are just my initial thoughts, maybe you have alternate suggestions.
Yes Sir, I am a computer mechanic. I build them from the ground up, repair existing hardware and software; I'm a web site programmer, graphic artist and a network administrator. I am well versed in MS 98SE, 2000 Pro, 2000 Server, XP & XP Pro, and learning Linux as server software.

I have 3 machines I am working on to add to the network for the purposes you have described above, as well as all necessary support hardware to network these machines together, and software. One machine will even be Linux driven.

My only challenge at this point is to secure a static IP address or DNS forwarding service within the next week. MidnightStar stated that I have a T1 but I do not. I am currently using standard broadband cable. To upgrade to a static IP and an upstream speed of 512 kbs will cost me $125 a month with a one-time installation fee of $250. This installation is what I need to look into though as I can handle anything on my side of the router. All they need to do at Comcast is push a couple buttons on their end and if that costs $250 to do, then I will look at other ways to accomplish DNS issues. I will be speaking with a rep tomorrow (Monday). I have other customers for my web services that I host on commercial servers but I would like to bring their sites in-house. This will help to supplement costs for the radio project through hosting fees I will charge my customers' sites.

I haven't asked for any money from VNN for my expenses and don't plan on doing so. If I do need any financial help to accomplish the goals needed to elevate the hardware for broadcast, I will let you and everyone else know. My Grandfather and Father were/are electronic geniuses. I feel something in the blood that drives me to carry on the tradition and at the same time grants me insite to solve technical issues in the most effective yet frugal manner. I know the money is there thanks to generous donations to this project but I will do everything in my power to avoid using them on my end when I know that they will benefit the project down the road I can do without them. On top of that, I don't want to be responsible for other peoples' money because if I can't deliver on my word because I have reached a wall, I don't want it biting me in the ass. The shame of not achieving is enough to bear.

The downside of this thinking is that it takes more time to make things happen. Money definitely buys time. But at the same time, the content needed to broadcast over the hardware I am assembling is in step with my progress. I know you and others expected this project to produce faster than it has but I have to say that all aspects of it are being built from the ground up, facilitating total ownership that will transverse disruption from our enemies and their lackies, and provide the most powerful content our race has ever seen or heard.

On that note I have only to add that today Agis, Alex and myself had another planning session online using the conferencing software we have obtained. Chain was to join us but some technical issues arose that prevented him from joining us. I will be working those out with him this week. This next Sunday we are looking forward to producing the pilot broadcast of Agis' Crossfire broadcast that will be a feature of the launch of the network.

Old April 11th, 2005 #20
MidnightStar14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan Sikorski
My only challenge at this point is to secure a static IP address or DNS forwarding service within the next week. MidnightStar stated that I have a T1 but I do not. I am currently using standard broadband cable. To upgrade to a static IP and an upstream speed of 512 kbs will cost me $125 a month with a one-time installation fee of $250.
I stand corrected on the connection issue.

I could get the same connection speed a bit cheaper here in TX if you didn't want to run the servers doing the actual broadcasting yourself. I could get both DSL and cable, or perhaps 2 DSL lines and that would probably provide ample bandwidth to start with. If I can get that business class 2mbps upstream cable connection in my apartment,that'd take care of things too.

Since you're running this off of a standard cable connection Stan, I think you should probably just get a free No-IP DNS name for your server,and set up your machine to be a stream server that only accepts connections from specific IPs/DNS names. Let other VNNers run the actual front-line serving and deal with security,and use a permanent domain such as vnnbroadcasting.com or vnnradio.com for a links page that links to streams running off other systems with more free No-IP names. That permanent server could also store archives of programs,saving the stream servers from having to carry that load. As I mentioned before,an m3u file with a list of stream servers linked off of a permanent server will work- the listener's mp3 player client will just go down the list thru the servers until it finds one that isn't busy. Additionally,the Shoutcast directory automatically handles that- when I was running a relay server of Frank Welter's stream, both our servers were accessible from one link.

In response to The King's question,I too am a computer mechanic,though certainly not as experienced as Stan. I can still handle the server items so he can deal with audio production, as he has experience there I would have to learn from square one.

Regarding DNS, No-IP.com offers domain registration for 19.95/yr. All the popular dot variants for VNNBroadcasting and VNNRadio are available as of 4-11-2005,but Vnnlive.com is taken. Here's the whois info on the possible squatter:

[snip]
Registrant:
Pitrinius, Saxus
ATTN: VNNLIVE.COM
c/o Network Solutions
P.O. Box 447
Herndon, VA. 20172-0447

Domain Name: VNNLIVE.COM

Administrative Contact:
Pitrinius, Saxus [email protected]
ATTN: VNNLIVE.COM
c/o Network Solutions
P.O. Box 447
Herndon, VA 20172-0447
570-708-8780

Technical Contact:
Network Solutions, LLC. (HOST-ORG) [email protected]
13200 Woodland Park Drive
Herndon, VA 20171-3025
US
1-888-642-9675 fax: 571-434-4620

Record expires on 22-Aug-2005.
Record created on 22-Aug-2004.
Database last updated on 11-Apr-2005 01:26:54 EDT.
[snip]

What top-level domain name would you guys like for the network?

Thread