Vanguard News Network
VNN Media
VNN Digital Library
VNN Reader Mail
VNN Broadcasts

Old August 11th, 2008 #81
Jett Rink
Banned

I have watched no less than 3 kids who's parents sent them to kung fu classes get their asses beat by non-Whites in school fights.

All the kung fu taught by Bruce Lee himself won't win against an experienced street fighter, fighting dirty.

I stand behind my statement that Martial Arts are a waste of money, and likely to give you a false sense of security and get you killed.

Old August 11th, 2008 #82
RebelWithACause
¡Confíeme en!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jett Rink View Post
I have watched no less than 3 kids who's parents sent them to kung fu classes get their asses beat by non-Whites in school fights.

All the kung fu taught by Bruce Lee himself won't win against an experienced street fighter, fighting dirty.

I stand behind my statement that Martial Arts are a waste of money, and likely to give you a false sense of security and get you killed.
Please re-read what I said.

1) Kids being sent to a cookie-cutter 'kung fu/karate/tae kwon do' 'school' don't count. You might as well have found that black belt in the bottom of a box of Cracker Jacks

2) Bruce Lee saw the problems inherent in static fighting systems (various Kung Fu flavors, etc), and this is why he developed his own martial art that was essentially the forerunner of the MMA you see today. He borrowed 'what worked' from many fighting systems. Modern MMA is an evolution of this idea.

3) You are both very right and very wrong. Taking classes from a generic hop-socky school is a waste of money and the false sense of security will get your ass kicked or worse....but if you take time to do some research and invest in a large amount of quality training from a quality instructor, you will get more than your money's worth.

A quality instructor will stress the fact that on any given day, anyone has the possibility of beating anyone else.

The fact of the matter is that most of the 'static' and traditional styles of martial art generall only 'work' in situations where you're taking on another person versed in the same art and in a referee'd tournament.

Again, research plays a key role in determining what will work for you.

To dismiss 'martial arts' as a whole to be completely useless and a waste of time is a dangerously incorrect assessment.

Old August 11th, 2008 #83
Dan_O

Quote:
Originally Posted by RebelWithACause View Post

1) Kids being sent to a cookie-cutter 'kung fu/karate/tae kwon do' 'school' don't count. You might as well have found that black belt in the bottom of a box of Cracker Jacks

2) Bruce Lee saw the problems inherent in static fighting systems (various Kung Fu flavors, etc), and this is why he developed his own martial art that was essentially the forerunner of the MMA you see today. He borrowed 'what worked' from many fighting systems. Modern MMA is an evolution of this idea.

3) You are both very right and very wrong. Taking classes from a generic hop-socky school is a waste of money and the false sense of security will get your ass kicked or worse....but if you take time to do some research and invest in a large amount of quality training from a quality instructor, you will get more than your money's worth.

A quality instructor will stress the fact that on any given day, anyone has the possibility of beating anyone else.

The fact of the matter is that most of the 'static' and traditional styles of martial art generall only 'work' in situations where you're taking on another person versed in the same art and in a referee'd tournament.

To dismiss 'martial arts' as a whole to be completely useless and a waste of time is a dangerously incorrect assessment.
Your legs have the strongest muscles in your body, and unless you are a midget, have the longest reach. Tae Kwon Doe does teach flexibility, and how to land seriously damaging kicks. I took it for two years when I was 27. I went from having no flexibility at all to being able to plant a round kick across your forehead.

Most martial arts have their own specialties. I wanted to learn to use my legs. Tae Kwon Doe taught me.

Old August 11th, 2008 #84
cillian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_O View Post
Your legs have the strongest muscles in your body, and unless you are a midget, have the longest reach. Tae Kwon Doe does teach flexibility, and how to land seriously damaging kicks. I took it for two years when I was 27. I went from having no flexibility at all to being able to plant a round kick across your forehead.

Most martial arts have their own specialties. I wanted to learn to use my legs. Tae Kwon Doe taught me.
YouTube - This Russian cop gives a crazed perp a Bruce Lee kick
I don't think he was saying taekwan do was bad, I think he was saying there are plenty of places (kung fu karate and taekwan do) that treat it like a gymnastics class.

You want to look for a school that focuses on sparing and technique, instead of hand springs and triple jumping spin kicks. That stuff is only for showing off.

Old August 11th, 2008 #85
Art Cast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jett Rink View Post

Quote:

I have personally witnessed,on more than one occasion,experienced streetfighters get their asses handed to them by competent boxers.I also know a few people versed in tae kwon do who can do okay when called upon.It's worth pointing out that some of the nastier streetfighters I know (actually knew)were avid devotee's of the martial arts(mostly boxing).

Old August 11th, 2008 #86
RebelWithACause
¡Confíeme en!

Before this thread gets completely off-topic and totally derailed into a style vs. style pissing match (which always happens), it just needs to be reiterated that the concensus majority believe martial arts training taught by experienced and well-grounded and rounded instructors provides actual value in not only fighting ability, but aggression control and situational awareness.

Thank you.

Now, let the pissing contest begin.

I prefer Kali, Escrima, and Arnis.

Old August 12th, 2008 #87
Mark
Banned

I recommend taking any martial art, it's better than nothing. It's a gateway to other arts and you can find out which one fits your personality and style the best.

Most people aren't going to be seeking the MMA championship title, so being the biggest badass in the world isn't that important.

It's good to be able to defend oneself and others, but martial arts also develops your sense of self and well-being. You don't know what you're missing until you attain that.

Old August 16th, 2008 #88
odin
Nuthin' But Luv, Baby

Okay, let's not get too far off topic. Martial arts discussion should go in the 'Fighting Systems' thread.

Old August 16th, 2008 #89
Mike Dahl
Banned

Rather than having a couch and entertainment center in my living room I have a home gym. Not a full setup but a freeweight bench/military/squat press and preacher curl.

Much better use of the space, plus it is much easier than driving to a gym.

Old August 16th, 2008 #90
odin
Nuthin' But Luv, Baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Dahl View Post
Rather than having a couch and entertainment center in my living room I have a home gym. Not a full setup but a freeweight bench/military/squat press and preacher curl.

Much better use of the space, plus it is much easier than driving to a gym.
I have a similar set up, along with a treadmill. I'll never be Dave Draper (not trying to) but it keeps me in pretty decent shape.

Old August 17th, 2008 #91
Charlie-Horse
Elusive Pimpernel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Mazzone of Palatine View Post
Or you could just ask me. I've built all the way up to doing one-arm, one-leg pushups. I've had people ask me if I lift weights, and I tell them no I just do bodyweight exercises. I've yet to personally meet anyone other than myself who can do a one-arm pushup or one-legged squat.
An old friend of mine can do one arm push up's on his thumb, that is with only his thumb touching the ground. He isn't built either, just a lot of martial arts training in his youth.

Old August 20th, 2008 #92
kevinlanning

Go on Aries or Limewire and download Matt Fury's Comabat Conditioning and Combat Abs. If you can find his Chinese Long Life system there then get that ,
too.

Or do a search on youtube under BODYWEIGHT EXERCISES and take your pic.

I ran 5 miles the day before yesterday and am getting ready for a 10-15 mile bike ride today. I also have a large truck tire and a sledgehammer that I'll get to later in the week. I have nothing set but to get my heart rate up at least three times a week for an hour or so by whatever interests me. Usually its running.

I like this sledgehammer video:

Old August 21st, 2008 #93
Mike Mazzone of Palatine
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie-Boy View Post
An old friend of mine can do one arm push up's on his thumb, that is with only his thumb touching the ground. He isn't built either, just a lot of martial arts training in his youth.
I posted that before I met with my old friend from years ago. He can do a one arm push-up as well. I'm still the only person I've ever seen do a one legged squat, however.

Old October 12th, 2008 #94
odin
Nuthin' But Luv, Baby

Default Bump

Okay people, what did YOU do TODAY to get/keep in shape? Me? The five Tibetans and some time on the home gym.

Old October 13th, 2008 #95
Moose

Bought some of those Perfect Pushups from Wal-Mart for $20. Pretty awesome.

Old November 10th, 2008 #96
Adi18
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by odin View Post
Okay people, what did YOU do TODAY to get/keep in shape? Me? The five Tibetans and some time on the home gym.
I've been body building for the last 6 years, 5 times a week. Summertime I bicycle as well. I started bodybuilding at 190lbs and I'm about 240lbs now. I like the gym, there's always nice women to look at, and they enjoy being looked at, plus the fact everyone else is exercising does something mentally too.
Being strong doesn't mean you can fight though, a good well rounded MMA fighter will wipe the floor with you if you don't know how to fight.

I look big enough right now, people are simply intimidated and mind their business, it's nice and didn't happen before.

Exercise is essential though, don't think hanging out on the internet is doing anything positive.

Old November 11th, 2008 #97
Antiochus Epiphanes
Ἀντίοχος Ἐπιφανὴς

Thumbs up

Quote:
Thank you.

Now, let the pissing contest begin.

I prefer Kali, Escrima, and Arnis.
I was brought up on shorin ryu and TKD, then switched to aikido and judo. Then my style switched to "IDPA" and "IPSC"

I had an excellent seminar with Wally Jay and Remy Presas once where they laid that siniwali stuff on us. Cool man.

Old March 28th, 2009 #98
Joe Keyes

This dancing partner is sure to get any spartan used to fighting in the shade.
www.circuscats.com
gab.ai/mikemazzone

Old May 17th, 2009 #99
odin
Nuthin' But Luv, Baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose View Post
Bought some of those Perfect Pushups from Wal-Mart for $20. Pretty awesome.
Bump.

Hey, how well do those things work?

Old May 17th, 2009 #100
Georgie

One thing I wouldn't neglect would be your "core" (as is the popular phrasing in fitness circles). Important for posture and the link between upper and lower body. One of those gimmickie looking ab wheels that you can buy for 10 bucks will kick your ass. Try it on your knees if you need to and if you need more assistance do it like 5 feet from a wall so you can stop yourself. Build yourself up gradually to doing it standed. Forget the mindless crunches.

Thread