VNN Digital Library
VNN Reader Mail
VNN Broadcasts

Old January 4th, 2009 #1
Anne

Default Fatherhood

http://www.catholiceducation.org/art...ng/pa0102.html

"How Does a Father Protect His Family?"

Christian anthropology has always understood that the roles of mothers and fathers are different. The job of parenting often overlaps and both parents love their kids, but men and women are not interchangeable.

Old January 5th, 2009 #2
cillian

Good article.

Too many men think their job as father is to work all week, give the pay check to the wife, and get drunk on the weekends. Their success is measured in how many toys their children have.

Old January 5th, 2009 #3
colleen

It pisses me off when I hear men go on and on about "I pay my child support....." "I picked my kid up today and took him to the park..." etc etc etc.... Like they want a freaking pat on the back or something. Well why the fuck does a man deserve a pat on the back for doing what he should? Is it similar to a gold star in grade school. You are only doing it for the accolades? A real father and a real man, protects and provides and isn't looking for the pats on the back....but only a safe family.

Old January 5th, 2009 #4
finlandssvenskar
Hakkaa päälle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofitall View Post
It pisses me off when I hear men go on and on about "I pay my child support....." "I picked my kid up today and took him to the park..." etc etc etc.... Like they want a freaking pat on the back or something. Well why the fuck does a man deserve a pat on the back for doing what he should? Is it similar to a gold star in grade school. You are only doing it for the accolades? A real father and a real man, protects and provides and isn't looking for the pats on the back....but only a safe family.
This response is precisely why vaginas should not be able to vote.. Chalk up a negro or two. Check.

Old January 5th, 2009 #5
colleen

Quote:
Originally Posted by finlandssvenskar View Post
This response is precisely why vaginas should not be able to vote.. Chalk up a negro or two. Check.
If this made any sense at all, I would give an honest response....but it doesn't so I will just go on and let you pretend it does!

Old January 5th, 2009 #6
cillian

It's easy to take people for granted, especially those that always do what they are supposed to do, but these are the ones that deserve appreciation the most, because they don't shirk their responsibilities.

Old January 5th, 2009 #7
colleen

Quote:
Originally Posted by cillian View Post
It's easy to take people for granted, especially those that always do what they are supposed to do, but these are the ones that deserve appreciation the most, because they don't shirk their responsibilities.
That isn't what I meant by my post. I agree with you 100%. Real men and real fathers get their appreciation thru actions,a look, a small gesture, and words. Because their family values and appreciates them. NOT because they are standing on their soap box whining .... "Look at me Look at me I pay child support and bought my kid new socks!!"

Old January 6th, 2009 #8
cillian

Quote:
That isn't what I meant by my post. I agree with you 100%. Real men and real fathers get their appreciation thru actions,a look, a small gesture, and words. Because their family values and appreciates them. NOT because they are standing on their soap box whining .... "Look at me Look at me I pay child support and bought my kid new socks!!"
I didn't mean to imply that you take people for granted, just that it does happen and the occasional 'thank you', or 'you're a good father/mother' does mean a lot.

I agree with you, that if someone does nice things just for a pat on the back, it is self serving and petty, and not actually good.

Old January 6th, 2009 #9
colleen

Quote:
the occasional 'thank you', or 'you're a good father/mother' does mean a lot.
Yes it does, but if I (or whoever) doesn't get it daily I don't go seeking those words. Someone telling a person they are a good parent, in my opinion, is the greatest compliment there is!

Old January 6th, 2009 #10
Anne

I don't think there should be child support payments. Custody should be equal. Why should a man have to hand over his money to his ex, (who probably asked for the divorce, as two thirds of divorces are initiated by women), only to see her spend it on dinners out with a boyfriend? The jails are filled with guys who haven't payed support and I can't say as I blame them.

My brother was treated badly by an evil woman, and I recognize that society automatically makes women out to be the innocent victims or the saintly mothers, while the men are the deadbeats.

Old January 8th, 2009 #11
Nick Apleece

Quote:
It pisses me off when I hear men go on and on about "I pay my child support....." "I picked my kid up today and took him to the park..." etc etc etc.... Like they want a freaking pat on the back or something. Well why the fuck does a man deserve a pat on the back for doing what he should?
The nigger comedian Chris Rock did a funny monologue on that very subject, mocking nig parents for bragging about providing the necessities. Here's the gist of it:
"Niggers always want credit for some shit they're supposed to do," he announces. "They'll brag about stuff a normal man just does. They'll say something like, 'Yeah, well, I take care of my kids.' You're supposed to, you dumb motherfucker. 'I ain't never been to jail.' Whaddya want? A cookie? You're not supposed to go to jail, you low-expectation-having motherfucker!"

Old January 9th, 2009 #12
Anne

Quote:
Good article.

Too many men think their job as father is to work all week, give the pay check to the wife, and get drunk on the weekends. Their success is measured in how many toys their children have.
That is unfortunate.

Many fathers might think that their role really comes in when the kids are teens and in need of guidance and discipline. Fathers, however, are important at all stages of child development.

Old January 9th, 2009 #13
Mike Mazzone of Palatine
Banned

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anne View Post
Many fathers might think that their role really comes in when the kids are teens and in need of guidance and discipline. Fathers, however, are important at all stages of child development.
A father's role is building confidence and competence. A mother's role is building self-esteem and cooperation.

Old January 9th, 2009 #14
Mike Mazzone of Palatine
Banned

Angry

Quote:
Well why the fuck does a man deserve a pat on the back for doing what he should?
Not everyone values gratitude expressed to others for their high character.

Thread