VNN Digital Library
VNN Reader Mail
VNN Broadcasts

Old March 25th, 2013 #41
Mr A.Anderson
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by L. Edwards View Post
• Beware of Glock fired cases. The firing pin mark is unmistakable. Not a simple dimple on the primer. Kind of a rectangular mark w/ a dimple. Glocks have a extra large chamber. The brass will have a bulge, not always noticeable by eye. You can have feeding problems w/ this brass if not roll sized or prepped w/ a U die or push thru resizer die.
I've heard that Glock fired brass could cause problems in the early generation Glocks (but has been corrected in Gen2) for the .40 S&W, but not so much in the 9mm caliber.

Either way, I run everything through a full length sizer, and a factory crimp die. If I run into any problems, I will post about them.

I did receive my 1000 pc mixed head stamp brass the other day, and sorted all of them.

131 Fiocchi USA
361 GFL
94 PPU
29 R-P
5 PMC
14 Win
250 FC
98 FC (Nickel plated)

and a small handful of junk brass.

I've decided to use this batch of brass for loading low powder, FMJ practice rounds. This way, if there are any feeding problems (jams), it won't ever be in a critical situation.

I have several hundred factory self defense rounds that are our primary carry ammunition.

I have almost 400 S&B FMJ rounds that I've purchased for range time. I will be using this brass (once fired through my own pistols) to load JHP for stock, as well as 100 new Win brass.

Whenever I find S&B FMJ ammo for decent price ($12 box of 50 last time I purchased 2 months ago), I will pick that up as well as new, unprimed brass if and whenever it becomes available. Saving the "range" brass for practice loads.

Last edited by Mr A.Anderson; March 25th, 2013 at 06:57 AM.

Old April 26th, 2013 #42
Mr A.Anderson
Banned

Finally found a set of loading dies for the .223! 3 die set includes factory crimping die.

Also ordered a set of dies for the 8mm Mauser to load for a friend of mine.

I've probably loaded close to 500 or so rounds in the 9mm and .308 since I got my little operation up and running. I find it relaxing to spend an hour or two in the loading room in the mornings on weekends.

Old May 3rd, 2013 #43
Mr A.Anderson
Banned

Found a decent deal on .308 Win brass, mix head stamp, once fired. It is all civilian brass, no crimped primers, cleaned and polished.

300 pieces, $89 (including s&h), $0.30 each. That's about half the cost of buying new brass, if you can find it. The average cost per casing that I've been seeing out there (for once fired) is about $0.40-$0.45 each.

Picked up 800 Hornady Match HP in the .223 Rem this week as well. I got those on trade for helping a friend out of a jam. Can't beat that price.

Last edited by Mr A.Anderson; May 3rd, 2013 at 06:40 AM.

Old May 3rd, 2013 #44
Squarehead Chris

You said you need a case trimmer... yes you do.
You cannot load ammo without one.
(and a good caliper to measure overall case length as well)

Loading too long of cases can result in additional "crimping" of the bullet in the cartridge when the round is chambered.
This can jack up the working chamber pressures.

Again, I reccomend a Forster case trimmer.
I've used RCBS and Lyman trimmers, but neither one is as quick and consistent as a Forster.

Oh yeah, you need the little widget to chamfer the inside and outside of the case mouth when you're done trimming it for easy loading.
I think it costs about eight bucks.

Old May 3rd, 2013 #45
Mr A.Anderson
Banned

I've made it this far without a trimmer, but that is because I was working with new, or my own (once fired) brass. The cases weren't stretched out too far. Now I've broken into the range brass, and some of it is too long by a couple thousandths to a hundredth of an inch.

I started looking for a Foster last night, but no luck so far - none in stock, backorder OK with a June delivery date. Will keep on looking.

I have the champfer tool already (came with the press kit), and I have a good digital caliper (in my avatar). I'm going to pick up a case length gauge for quick checking the cases instead of measuring every single one to see if they are too long (will be quicker this way). I have about 1200 pieces of range brass between 9mm, .308 Win, and .223 Rem to go through yet.

Old June 2nd, 2013 #46
Mr A.Anderson
Banned

Just did an inventory of my current supplies.

Powder:
1/3 lb of Bullseye
1/2 lb or IMR 3031
1 lb of IMR 8208 XBR

Primers
1330 Small Pistol
1800 Small Rifle
730 Large Rifle

Bullets
150 9mm 115 gr fmj
150 9mm 124 gr jhp
550 223/5.56 53 gr jhp
45 8mm Mauser BT

Brass
1000 223/5.56
270 308 Win
750 9mm Luger

Time to restock on powder and bullets.

Old June 16th, 2013 #47
Mr A.Anderson
Banned

Just ran into an issue using Lyman Quick Slick Case Lube Spray.

After de-priming and sizing, if you don't clean the casings extremely well and get rid of every trace of this lube, it begins staining the brass case. Really nasty.

Unfortunately, I was batch loading 150 .223 rounds when I found this out. I'm having to take metal polish to each round to clean them up.

I put that can of spray lube to the side for emergency use only, and have ordered another can of Hornady One Shot.......good stuff and once dry, won't interact with powder/primers.

Old December 25th, 2013 #48
Mr A.Anderson
Banned

Fast forward 6 months......

Doing some early morning "Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to me" internet browsing.

While ammo still flies off the shelves in stores (and online) especially in certain calibers, seems like the reloading supplies have come back a bit.

I've found bulk packages of .223/.224 bullets, 55gr FMJ to be pretty available and no longer cost an arm and a leg.

Same thing with 9mm FMJ RN in the 115-142 gr range and .308 Win FMJ.

I checked MidwayUSA and Gunbroker.

Old December 28th, 2013 #49
Mr A.Anderson
Banned

I did an ammo count yesterday. I didn't realize how much shooting I actually did this summer. Good stuff, but put a dent in the supply.

Loaded a 100 rounds of .223 today, and another 200 cases deprimed, sized, trimmed, and camphored.

It sure is faster shooting it, than loading it.

Old December 28th, 2013 #50
Mr A.Anderson
Banned

Has anyone ever tried this before? Converting .30-06 brass to 8x57mm Mauser?

8mm Mauser brass is hard to come by, and about half of the once fired wen it is on the market, is berdan primed, not boxer. Seems to me, this is a great way to make 8mm from the surplus of .30-06 brass available.

I'm just trying to figure a way to do something to the headstamp to note that it is no longer -06 ammo. A non-issue for somebody that doesn't own an -06, I guess.....but something I worry about.

Old December 29th, 2013 #51
313Chris

Default AK ammo from scrap lead and brass

This is a nice video that gives an overview on casting scrap lead in to 7.62x39 bullets, and loading them into recycled brass. These same methods could easily be applied to other semi-auto calibers like .223 Rem.

Thread