VNN Reader Mail
VNN Broadcasts

Old May 13th, 2020 #1
Nikola Bijeliti
fluxmaster

Default SpaceX Demo-2 Crew Members Enter Preflight Quarantine

SpaceX Demo-2 Crew Members Enter Preflight Quarantine

Quote:
NASA astronauts Robert Behnken and Douglas Hurley entered quarantine Wednesday, May 13, in preparation for their upcoming flight to the International Space Station on NASA’s SpaceX Demo-2 mission. They’ll lift off aboard a SpaceX Crew Dragon spacecraft carried by the company’s Falcon 9 rocket two weeks later at 4:33 pm Eastern Wednesday, May 27, from the agency’s Kennedy Space Center in Florida.

Health stabilization procedures were introduced for the Apollo program, in which NASA astronauts left low-Earth orbit to journey to the Moon, and have continued through the shuttle and International Space Station programs.

Behnken and Hurley will remain in quarantine after their arrival at Kennedy on May 20. Liftoff from Kennedy’s historic Launch Pad 39A is targeted for May 27 at 4:33 p.m. EDT.
All these ideas…are chained to the existence of men, to who[m]…they owe their existence. Precisely in this case the preservation of these definite races and men is the precondition for the existence of these ideas. --Adolf Hitler

Old May 14th, 2020 #2
Ray Allan

It's the first time since 2011 when the Shuttle program ended that NASA astronauts will lift off from u.s. soil, so this is a significant event.

The SpaceX suits and interior of Crew Dragon look like something from 2001: A Space Odyssey, which was obviously intentional.

--Henry A. Kissinger, jewish politician and advisor

Old May 14th, 2020 #3
Garrick Fenstad
Banned

why ain't those motherfuckerz social distancing like the rest of us? and where's there fuckin' face MASKS!!!!!!!!!

Old May 14th, 2020 #4
Nikola Bijeliti
fluxmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Allan View Post
It's the first time since 2011 when the Shuttle program ended that NASA astronauts will lift off from u.s. soil, so this is a significant event.

The SpaceX suits and interior of Crew Dragon look like something from 2001: A Space Odyssey, which was obviously intentional.
It's a couple of decades late for that. There were eight manned space flights in 2001. Why didn't they use those suits then?

When you and I were kids, 2001 represented the bright but far off future that awaited us, but now it's ancient history. I still like the movie, though.
All these ideas…are chained to the existence of men, to who[m]…they owe their existence. Precisely in this case the preservation of these definite races and men is the precondition for the existence of these ideas. --Adolf Hitler

Old May 15th, 2020 #5
Ray Allan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikola Bijeliti View Post
It's a couple of decades late for that. There were eight manned space flights in 2001. Why didn't they use those suits then?

When you and I were kids, 2001 represented the bright but far off future that awaited us, but now it's ancient history. I still like the movie, though.
Yeah, it sucks how after Apollo, manned spaceflight never went past low Earth orbit. Nobody in the 1960s would have foreseen that. Hopefully I will live long enough to see humans walk on Mars, which should have happened in the 1980s. I don't see humans venturing to Jupiter much before 2060. Arthur C. Clarke did write a sequel to 2001 called 2061.

Old May 15th, 2020 #6
Nikola Bijeliti
fluxmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Allan View Post
Yeah, it sucks how after Apollo, manned spaceflight never went past low Earth orbit. Nobody in the 1960s would have foreseen that. Hopefully I will live long enough to see humans walk on Mars, which should have happened in the 1980s. I don't see humans venturing to Jupiter much before 2060. Arthur C. Clarke did write a sequel to 2001 called 2061.
He actually wrote three sequels: 2010: Odyssey Two, 2061: Odyssey Three, and 3001: The Final Odyssey. I watched the movie versions of 2001 and 2010, I read the print version of 2061, and I listened to an abridged audio version of 3001, all in the year 2000. An interesting curiosity about the movie 2010 is that, in the movie, the Soviet Union still exists, and there are cosmonauts wearing hammer-and-sickle flag patches on their spacesuits.

Old May 17th, 2020 #7
Ray Allan

I hope they broadcast the Demo-2 launch on regular TV and not just SpaceX's YouTube channel. I'm sure the commentary from modern reporters will be idiotic, unless they use the NASA PAO commentary. It still doesn't compare to Jack King, the "Voice of Apollo" back in the day for those of us old enough to remember.

Thread