VNN Media
VNN Digital Library
VNN Reader Mail
VNN Broadcasts

Old October 29th, 2009 #1
Mike Parker

Default Coyotes kill woman on hike in Canadian park

Coyotes kill woman on hike in Canadian park

This undated promotional photo released by LW Communications shows Taylor Mitchell, 19.

By ROB GILLIES, Associated Press Writer – Wed Oct 28

TORONTO – Two coyotes attacked a promising young musician as she was hiking alone in a national park in eastern Canada, and authorities said she died Wednesday of her injuries.

The victim was identified as Taylor Mitchell, 19, a singer-songwriter from Toronto who was touring her new album on the East Coast.

She was hiking solo on a trail in Cape Breton Highlands National Park in Nova Scotia on Tuesday when the attack occurred. She was airlifted to a Halifax hospital in critical condition and died Wednesday morning, authorities said.

Coyotes, which also are known as prairie wolves, are found from Central America to the United States and Canada.

Wildlife biologist Bob Bancroft said coyote attacks are extremely rare because the animals are usually shy.

Bancroft, a retired biologist with Nova Scotia's Department of Natural Resources, said it's possible the coyotes thought Mitchell was a deer or other prey.

"It's very unusual and is not likely to be repeated," Bancroft said. "We shouldn't assume that coyotes are suddenly going to become the big bad wolf."

Royal Canadian Mounted Police spokeswoman Brigdit Leger said other hikers heard Mitchell's screams for help on Tuesday and called emergency police dispatchers.

Police who were in the area reached the scene quickly and shot one of the animals, apparently wounding it. But the wounded animal and a companion coyote managed to get away.

Paul Maynard of Emergency Health Services said Mitchell already was in critical condition when paramedics arrived on the scene and had multiple bite wounds over her entire body.

"She was losing a considerable amount of blood from the wounds," he said.

An official with Parks Canada said they blocked the entrance to the trail where Mitchell was attacked and were trying to find the animals to determine what prompted such an unusual attack.

"There's been some reports of aggressive animals, so it's not unknown," said Helene Robichaud, the park's superintendent. "But we certainly never have had anything so dramatic and tragic."

Mitchell was an up-and-coming folk and country musician who was nominated for a 2009 Canadian Folk Music Award in the Young Performer of the Year category.

"Words can't begin to express the sadness and tragedy of losing such a sweet, compassionate, vibrant, and phenomenally talented young woman," Lisa Weitz, Mitchell's manager, said in an e-mail. "She just turned 19 two months ago, and was so excited about the future."

On the Net:

Taylor Mitchell's Web site: http://www.taylormitchell.ca

http://www.myspace.com/taylormitchellband

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091028/..._coyote_attack

Old October 29th, 2009 #2
Hugo Böse
Jeunesse Dorée

I´ve heard of coyotes alegedly messing with small children but I´ve never heard of adults getting killed or even bitten, coyotes are really shy.

Last edited by Hugo Böse; October 30th, 2009 at 09:24 AM.

Old October 29th, 2009 #3
Julian Lüchow

I see coyotes every now and again in my backyard, for the most part they will avoid people at all costs. Usually when you see them they're scavenging, doing things like raiding goose nests for eggs. I've never heard of coyotes attacking people. Ever. Very strange.

Old July 5th, 2010 #4
Mike Parker

Coyote Attacks Put a Suburb on the Alert

By SAM DOLNICK
Published: July 2, 2010

RYE, N.Y. — Firefighters have searched for them with heat-sensing cameras. Police officers, under orders to kill, have fired shots at them outside dark golf courses. Nerve-racked parents have stayed up late researching their behavior online.

“It’s all that anyone talks about,” Kate Taubner said, keeping a hand on her son Jack’s head as if to hold him close.

In this idyllic suburb, dotted with basketball hoops, training wheels and bubbling creeks, life has been upended by mangy intruders that seem to be on a tear: coyotes. In the past nine days, two young girls playing outside their homes were attacked in separate episodes, officials said. Both girls survived with minor injuries, but the highly unusual attacks have prompted a wide-ranging response that has included helicopter searches, errant gunfire and an endless stream of gossip.

As Madeline Donovan, 5, said on her way to the pool, “Blah blah blah coyotes.”

Her mother, Diane Clehane, a former Rye resident who now lives in Scarsdale, N.Y., shrugged. “You don’t expect to put coyotes on the list of great concerns living in suburbia,” she said, adding, “They know a good neighborhood when they see it.”

The police have advised parents not to let small children roam farther than an arm’s length away, and to keep them indoors at night. People walking their dogs at night carry large sticks alongside their leashes. The police commissioner, William R. Connors, has had to discourage would-be vigilantes from taking the problem into their own hands.

“There’s the bad-man talk, stranger danger, don’t eat so much candy — and now here’s the coyote talk,” said one mother, Marian Wright, who had to sit her children down and explain the latest threat. “It’s pretty freaky, actually.”

The first attack occurred June 25 in the Glen Oaks neighborhood about 9:15 p.m., when a 6-year-old girl running alongside her house was knocked down by two coyotes. The animals bit her on the shoulder and the thigh, and scratched her head and her back, according to the police. The girl’s mother, who was some 25 feet away, ran over screaming, scaring the coyotes away, the police said. “It was terrifying,” said Steve Hodulik, the girl’s father.

The next attack occurred four days later. About 7:15 p.m. on Tuesday, a 3-year-old was playing in her backyard with a neighbor when a coyote jumped from behind a rock and knocked her down, biting her on the neck and the torso. The girl’s father, who was on the deck about 30 feet away, ran toward the neighbor’s cry of “Mommy, coyote!” and scared off the animal, according to Mr. Connors.

Coyote attacks against humans are extremely rare. Experts say there may be as few as five a year across the country. Mr. Connors said witness descriptions indicated that different coyotes were involved in the attacks.

The police have special shoot-to-kill orders but have so far had no luck, shooting and missing in three attempts.

“You have a crafty and smart adversary,” Mr. Connors said. He recalled a new truism circulating through the department: “It’s so much easier to catch a criminal — you have fingerprints, you have addresses, you have known associates. With coyotes, you have none of that.”

Mr. Connors said that the city had hired trappers and that the police were working overtime, with special teams assigned to respond to coyote sightings, and others assigned to observation posts in the woods.

The City Council also held a community meeting on Thursday night, which more than 50 people attended, to let residents know how the situation would be addressed. Officials advised the public to scare coyotes away by throwing things at them and even kicking them rather than running in fear, which would only embolden the animals, they said.

“Kick it; fight back,” said Kevin Clarke, of the state Department of Environmental Conservation. “Do what you have to do to protect your family.”

He did, however, discourage vigilantism.

Coyote experts — it is a small but vibrant community —said that the animals were thriving across the country, and that clashes were inevitable.

Stanley D. Gehrt, an associate professor at Ohio State University who specializes in coyotes and has a Google Alert set up for “coyote attack,” said some coyote populations in cities and suburbs had become so used to humans that they had lost their fear of them.

“They find a bounty of food, they have a lack of predators, there’s no hunting and trapping,” Dr. Gehrt said. “Once they can crash that threshold into that urbanized landscape, they find that the living is pretty good.”

He added: “It’s not just us encroaching on their territory. They’re encroaching on us.”

Back in Rye, Hunter Wright, an 8-year-old resident of Los Angeles, where coyotes are far more common than outside New York, had lots of advice for his cousins, whom he was visiting. After all, he said, coyotes killed two of his cats and maimed a third. His words were simple: Don’t run. If there’s a tree, climb it. And most important, don’t look them in the eye. “That’s when they start running and biting you,” Hunter said.

Paul D. Curtis, an associate professor at Cornell University Cooperative Extension, said the best thing to do would be to “yell, clap, throw stones, whatever it takes to get the coyote to move on so that it’s not comfortable in the area.”

Along Purchase Street, Rye’s main drag, and at every coffee shop, people traded coyote stories — there was the one who jumped in a minivan filled with children, and the one spotted by the creek.

“I hate to be one of those people who say ‘Something should be done,’ ” Ms. Wright said, as she watched her children play in the grass. “But maybe something should be done.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/03/ny...ml?_r=1&src=me

Old July 5th, 2010 #5
Igor Alexander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krystian Kowalczyk View Post
I see coyotes every now and again in my backyard, for the most part they will avoid people at all costs. Usually when you see them they're scavenging, doing things like raiding goose nests for eggs. I've never heard of coyotes attacking people. Ever. Very strange.
Many years ago I did an extremely long hike (about 6 hours) alone through the countryside at night. I was walking along the road, there were almost no artificial lights, it was in the wee hours of the morning and there was no traffic, and the only thing on either side of me for hours were fallow fields. The main source of illumination was moonlight.

For about 3 hours, a big, ugly dog trailed me, walking parallel to me 50 or more yards out in the fields. It would stop when I stopped and resume walking when I resumed walking.

The thing was completely silent and when I would pause to look at it, it would remain motionless. I felt like I was being shadowed by a ghost. It was an unsettling experience to say the least.

I was sure the thing was going to attack me but it never did.

I don't know if it was a coyote but I do know coyotes were a problem in that area, since some of the cats of the people whose place I'd been staying at had been attacked by them.

Last edited by Igor Alexander; July 5th, 2010 at 06:11 AM.

Old July 5th, 2010 #6
Leonard Rouse
Celebrating My Diversity

Look at the concern expressed by these Whites over the fairly innocuous coyote. But when niggers, spics, and assorted other "human" garbage attack them daily at will, they shrug it off, going so far as to socially lynch any fellow who notes publicly the obvious peril.

I guess "defaming" coyotes is socially "safe".

Last edited by Leonard Rouse; July 5th, 2010 at 06:17 AM.

Old July 5th, 2010 #7
Igor Alexander

Default Kelly Keen coyote attack

What's fascinating about the following account isn't that a little girl was killed by a coyote, but that these animal rights nuts would go so far as to accuse the parents of murdering their daughter:

Kelly_Keen_coyote_attack Kelly_Keen_coyote_attack

Quote:
The Kelly Keen coyote attack was a fatal coyote attack which took place in Glendale, California in August, 1981. The victim was 3 year old Kelly Lynn Keen, who was the first recorded victim of a fatal coyote attack in the USA.[1]
The attack and aftermath
Kelly was left by her mother Cathy in the living room to watch cartoons, and the girl left through the front door of the family's Chevy Chase Canyon home. Kelly encountered the coyote in the driveway, and was dragged through the street. Kelly's father Robert chased the coyote off and rushed Kelly to the Glendale Adventist Hospital, where she was in surgery for four hours.[2][1] She died from a broken neck and blood loss.[3]

Following Kelly Keen’s death in Glendale, the Commissioner’s personnel developed the first serious urban coyote management program. After 80 days of leghold trapping and shooting within a 0.5-mile (0.8-km) radius of the attack site, county personnel trapped and shot 55 coyotes.[1]
Controversy
In 2004, animal rights activist Pamelyn Ferdin attended a Glendale City Council meeting regarding a proposal to cull urban coyotes. Ferdin addressed the Council wearing a shirt covered in fake blood, urging the city to oppose the cull. Ferdin mentioned the Keen event, and argued that rather than having been killed by a coyote, Kelly had been the victim of child abuse. She claimed that medical records indicated that the child died of a ruptured spleen, which could only have come from blunt trauma, not an animal bite. Her colleague, Michael Bell, went further by claiming that, after digging around in hospital records, he discovered discrepancies and missing documents. He stated that the coyote story was a cover-up for how the child really died.[2] Robert and Cathy Keen watched the meeting live on cable and, upon hearing Bell's statement, raced to the Glendale City hall to respond to the allegations. They recounted the event to the council, and showed the death certificate, which listed the cause of the child’s injuries as "mauled by a coyote".[2][1]

Ferdin's stance remained unchanged; "I stand by my beliefs that a coyote did not kill (the girl)." Her accusation was met with harsh criticism. Councilman Frank Quintero stated "What the activists said at the dais was cruel and absolutely uninformed... Knowing the mother, it broke my heart that they would do that to her. When they were making the accusations, I was considering stopping them."[2]
I'm surprised the parents didn't sue for defamation.

Old July 5th, 2010 #8
Alex Linder
Administrator

Animal rights activists, so called, have a long history of lying about wolves/coyotes not attacking humans. Every predator on earth, from niggers to great white sharks, has white advocates dedicating their lives to misinterpreting its behavior.

Old July 5th, 2010 #9
MikeTodd
Pussy Bünd "Commander"

Quote:
Animal rights activists
Does anybody remember the bear-man from cable TV (Animal Planet maybe)?
The hippy-dippy doofus who sought out close encounters with bears.
He always said he wanted to end up as a bear turd and then he finally got his wish. Lol!

Old July 5th, 2010 #10
Mike in Denver
Enkidu

This coyote stuff is strange. When I grew up in Texas, Coyotes were very small, scruffy, and completely timid.

Here in Denver the Coyotes are large and anything but scruffy. They are also not timid. They've not killed anyone, as far as I know, but have killed some pets. In 1960, or so, over one summer, our Weimaraner killed two Coyotes. And, I don't think he went to too much effort to do it.

There is one Coyote that hangs out along Cherry Creek, near my house, that looks like a well-trimmed show dog. The damn thing is aggressive, too. I've had a few stare downs with it. I cheat, I'm armed. Shoot one, and get caught, and you'd probably go to jail for a thousand years. If I have to, I'll be careful. [If you trap a squirrel, and the squirrel dies in the trap, it's a minimum of $1,000 fine. Ain't animal rights types great.]

I'm thinking that there must be more than one sub-species of these Coyotes. All the Coyotes I ever saw in Texas were barely half the size of the ones I see in Colorado.

Mike

Old July 5th, 2010 #11
Amy

Coyotes are in abudance in our area, just out of the city limits. We have a huge field bordering our house, and quite often in the early morning we see coyotes trotting around. Some nights we can hear them yapping. After some research, we decided to get a Great Pyrenees to go with our 6 foot fence. Our son isn't ever outdoors unattended right now, but I am most confident that if a coyote were ever stupid enough to venture into our backyard, it would be met with a 220lb death sentence.

Our dog instictively shadows our child whether indoors or out. Great, great dogs for guarding.

Old July 5th, 2010 #12
America First

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugo Böse View Post
I´ve heard of coyotes alegedly messing with small children but I´ve never heard of adults getting killed or even bitten, coyotes are really shy.
They are VERY Shy is a fact in the West.

They are excellent on reducing the rodent population for a fact.

They do not go after sheep with sheep dogs.

I hear Coyotes at night Yipping and in the morning, but they never bother any one or and interesting point is No area dogs go after them, nor do the Coyotes bother the dogs.

We cannot allow the natural passions and prejudices of other peoples
to lead our country to destruction.

-Charles A. Lindbergh
http://www.fff.org/freedom/0495c.asp

Old July 5th, 2010 #13
N.B. Forrest

Coyotes are around here, too. My property is bordered by woods. I've seen them looking for scraps from the trash on numerous nights over the years. They've been no trouble.

However, one hot summer night about 20 years ago, I was watching televitz with the sliding door open when I heard the deepest, most evil-sounding growl I've ever heard before or since. Was certainly no coyote, that's for sure. I can assure you I got up and closed that door in world record time. Wish I'd been wearing Depends.....

I've also heard the strangest blood-curdling screams on several late nights over the years, too. Again, no idea what the hell made them.

Old July 5th, 2010 #14
Art Cast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike in Denver View Post
This coyote stuff is strange. When I grew up in Texas, Coyotes were very small, scruffy, and completely timid.

Here in Denver the Coyotes are large and anything but scruffy. They are also not timid. They've not killed anyone, as far as I know, but have killed some pets. In 1960, or so, over one summer, our Weimaraner killed two Coyotes. And, I don't think he went to too much effort to do it.

There is one Coyote that hangs out along Cherry Creek, near my house, that looks like a well-trimmed show dog. The damn thing is aggressive, too. I've had a few stare downs with it. I cheat, I'm armed. Shoot one, and get caught, and you'd probably go to jail for a thousand years. If I have to, I'll be careful. [If you trap a squirrel, and the squirrel dies in the trap, it's a minimum of $1,000 fine. Ain't animal rights types great.]

I'm thinking that there must be more than one sub-species of these Coyotes. All the Coyotes I ever saw in Texas were barely half the size of the ones I see in Colorado.

Mike
Coyotes that live in wolf territory are generally bigger than eastern coyotes due to interbreeding with wolves.
Quote:
Originally Posted by N.B. Forrest View Post
Coyotes are around here, too. My property is bordered by woods. I've seen them looking for scraps from the trash on numerous nights over the years. They've been no trouble.

However, one hot summer night about 20 years ago, I was watching televitz with the sliding door open when I heard the deepest, most evil-sounding growl I've ever heard before or since. Was certainly no coyote, that's for sure. I can assure you I got up and closed that door in world record time. Wish I'd been wearing Depends.....

I've also heard the strangest blood-curdling screams on several late nights over the years, too. Again, no idea what the hell made them.
Bobcat?

Old July 6th, 2010 #15
odin
Nuthin' But Luv, Baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by N.B. Forrest
Quote:
Originally Posted by reltih145
Bobcat?
Chupacabra?

Old July 6th, 2010 #16
Susan

I live in northern Gwinnett County, about 40 miles north of Atlanta. We have a huge problem with coyotes all over the county, but particularly in the northern areas. I have seen a number of articles recently about coyotes being sighted in subdivisions all over the county, even during the day. They say you can go to our county airport, in Lawrenceville, and see coyotes standing around everywhere.

Ten to fifteen years ago, my area was rural. I still have woods all around me, and I, too, have heard howlings and strange sounds in the middle of the night. I suspect that we have coyotes in my woods, now, as there have been several cats that have disappeared at my end of the street recently. My few male cats now come in at night, but go back out in the daytime. I have not observed any coyotes at all, but when I do, I will respond accordingly. If people would keep their pets inside, particularly at night, coyotes would not be able to kill them. Simple solution.

There may be occasional incidences of coyotes going after children or adults, but I would imagine these are rare. I would certainly never say that they never occur, however. In the real world, anything is possible. Wild non human animals behave as nature dictates they do, just as niggers behave as nature compels them to do. Non human animals are driven by the desire to eat. Niggers are driven by the desire to rape and kill. It's a good idea to avoid both at all costs.

I heard on the radio recently, that right now is the time when coyotes are having babies and the adults are out prowling for food, so now would be a perfect time to be extra cautious. Do not leave pets or pet food out at night. A little common sense goes a long way.

Old July 6th, 2010 #17
Nick Apleece

Quote:
Originally Posted by N.B. Forrest View Post
Cougars sound like that.

Old July 6th, 2010 #18
Leonard Rouse
Celebrating My Diversity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Apleece View Post
Cougars sound like that.

Old July 6th, 2010 #19
Susan

Yes, I think a blood curdling scream is more likely to be a cougar or bobcat. Coyotes howl or yip, in short or long sounds, depending upon their purpose.

Old July 6th, 2010 #20
Igor Alexander

Quote:
Originally Posted by America First View Post
They are excellent on reducing the rodent population for a fact.
According to Wikipedia, the coyotes in that Cape Breton park were deliberately introduced there to keep the rabbit population under control. Now they know that coyotes are also good for keeping the number of folk singers down.

Tags
coyote

Thread