Vanguard News Network
VNN Media
VNN Digital Library
VNN Reader Mail
VNN Broadcasts

Old June 11th, 2014 #1
Ian Smith son

Post Pit bulls get loose again, attack another dog

GRANITE CITY, IL (KTVI)-Two pit bulls that have repeatedly gotten away from their owner’s unfenced yard and killed other pets in Granite City, have apparently done so again. Edith James had just let her 13 year old black toy poodle, Antoine, out into his fenced in yard Wednesday evening when the two larger dogs climbed the fence, attacked and killed him, James said.

“He died on the way to the vet,” she said, sobbing outside of her home near Wabash and Ferguson.

Madison County Animal Control was holding the two pit bulls Saturday. James said she saw the dogs there and positively identified them.

They were the same two dogs that jumped another neighborhood fence on Pine Street 10 days earlier, got into the home through a doggie door, and killed the owner’s three chihuahuas. .

“I can’t tell you how upset I was. I was livid,” Kimberli Green said of the latest attack.

It was her aunt’s chihuahuas that were killed.

The pit bulls were staying a few blocks away on Waterman. The yard has no fence.

Authorities cited the owners for allowing the dogs to get loose after chihuahua’s were mauled. They’ve just cited the owners for letting the dogs get loose again.

Nearby resident, Monty Naler, said the same dogs have tried to climb his fence and attack his dogs repeatedly. They did attack his neighbor’s Great Dane. Its wounds were not serious.

“I don’t blame it on the dogs. I blame it on the owners. They should take care of their animals. I take care of mine,” Naler said.

Green, a pit bull lover, agreed.

“It’s just up to human beings to be responsible pet owners and keep our dogs on leashes or in our own yards,” she said.

Authorities could seek to have the dogs declared dangerous. They would have to be declared dangerous on three separate occasions before they could be declared vicious and then possibly end up being euthanized, authorities said. As it stands now, the dogs are cleared to go back home.

“This is getting totally out of hand and it’s not acceptable. You’re putting children and adults at risk,” said Edith James daughter, Carla.

There have been no reports of attacks on people.

http://fox2now.com/2014/05/31/granit...g-another-dog/

Thread