VNN Media
VNN Digital Library
VNN Reader Mail
VNN Broadcasts

Old November 21st, 2017 #1
alex revision

Default Meet ‘Oumuamua, the Interstellar Cigar

Meet ‘Oumuamua, the Interstellar Cigar

In Arthur C. Clarke's 1973 science-fiction novel Rendezvous with Rama, Earthlings discover and then investigate an interstellar "asteroid" that turns out to be a huge alien spaceship shaped like a long cylinder.

Life, it seems, sometimes imitates art.

In the days after the discovery of ‘Oumuamua, the first (real) interstellar object ever known to pass through our solar system, astronomers worldwide went on the astronomical equivalent of "Red Alert" and pointed their biggest guns at the unexpected interloper. "We dropped everything," explains Laura Ferrarese, who coordinated observations by the Gemini South observatory in Chile.

http://www.skyandtelescope.com/astro...stellar-cigar/

Old November 21st, 2017 #2
Mike in Denver
Enkidu

Just to add some info about the image...

"Artist's concept of interstellar asteroid 1I/2017 U1 ('Oumuamua)"

What you see here is a drawing (computer generated by the artist, likely,) not a photo. I'm not suggesting that this asteroid is not interesting, but the drawing looks a bit too much like an ancient spaceship (at least SF version of.)

The article linked to above was honest and my quote was a copy from the site. Many other sites, however, are not adding the artist's concept notice.

To be sure, I wish it were so...an ancient spaceship using our solar system as a means of direction change and acceleration. How much fun would that be?

Mike

Old November 21st, 2017 #3
Ray Allan

Hard to pronounce that name, 'Oumuamua.' I'll just stick with its original designation, A/2017 U1. Maybe they should have called it 'Rama' as in Clarke's novel. What about 'Yonada' after the asteroid/spaceship in the Star Trek episode 'For The World Is Hollow and I Have Touched The Sky?'

Perhaps someday we can catch up to it with a space probe and see what the heck it really is.

--Henry A. Kissinger, jewish politician and advisor

Old December 4th, 2017 #4
Ray Allan

Quote:
Perhaps someday we can catch up to it with a space probe and see what the heck it really is.
They are already talking about it.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...llar-asteroid/

Old December 14th, 2017 #5
Ray Allan

Default Is Oumuamua Artificial?

Old December 21st, 2017 #6
Donncha Dennis

It turned out to be just another floating rock.

Old December 23rd, 2017 #7
Olaf Menes

These "Scientists" actually think aliens who have mastered interstellar space travel, would actually allow primitive earthlings to see them approach?

I don't know about you, but any aliens smart enough to traverse space.....we are not going to see them coming. Like any advanced intelligence, you send in undetectable probes to ascertain any possible threats and unknowns. Just like humans are now doing in the solar system.

Old December 23rd, 2017 #8
Karl Lueger

that was in one of them Start Trek movies about time travel and whales..

Rambo, John J.

Old December 23rd, 2017 #9
Ray Allan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olaf Menes View Post
These "Scientists" actually think aliens who have mastered interstellar space travel, would actually allow primitive earthlings to see them approach?

I don't know about you, but any aliens smart enough to traverse space.....we are not going to see them coming. Like any advanced intelligence, you send in undetectable probes to ascertain any possible threats and unknowns. Just like humans are now doing in the solar system.
Probably true, aliens would have something like a Bracewell Probe or the so-called "Black Knight" satellite.

In Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home, they were in a captured Klingon ship using a cloaking device to remain invisible to 20th century technology and go save the humpback whales.

Old December 24th, 2017 #10
Olaf Menes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Allan View Post
Probably true, aliens would have something like a Bracewell Probe or the so-called "Black Knight" satellite.

In Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home, they were in a captured Klingon ship using a cloaking device to remain invisible to 20th century technology and go save the humpback whales.
I see several possible outcomes. One is that Aliens of that level of intellectual capability would either...

1.See us as the most intelligent race on the planet, and proceed to migrate us to terra formed worlds to advance human evolution unhindered, and terra form earth into a blank page.

2. Are simply space slavers, and want to enslave the dumbest useful creatures possible for off world slave labor, and eradicate us for being smart.

3. See all humans as useless because of the degradation and usury of its planetary money hoarders.

4.Exterminate everything and take earth for their own.

5. Laugh at us for being so primitive, and don't even stop by for a cheeseburger while doing a flyby.

Thread